Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwillysforum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 4:43pm
Just emailed my registration form, hoping to make the cut again this year.
Pete

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2022 at 2:03pm
Good Sunday afternoon. Here's this week's FCT report.  I got two registrations this week. They were from Anderson and Bone.  One newby and one experienced Jeeper.  That brings our total to 82.  We've only got 7 weeks left until the lottery.  That's all for now. Got things to do on a beautiful spring-like day. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 12:41pm
Good morning and welcome to our weekly FCT update.  I received two forms this week, from Vogelzang and Gibson, both experienced attendees.  That brings our total up to 84.  We have 6 weeks left before the lottery.  If you're thinking of joining us, please get your form into me sooner than later.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2022 at 4:56am
Good Sunday morning.  There is no update to the FCT list this morning because there were no registration forms received this past week.  Since we're just about a month away from the lottery to select our primary 50 Jeeps and groups of riders, I thought I would describe the lottery process for anyone interested in reading about it.  

On April 30, a Saturday, I will make sure that I have a copy of every registration form sent in to me for this year.  I will make a list using the name of the person in the number one line from each registration, and enter that list into an Excel spreadsheet in column 1.  Everyone else on each registraion form will automatically be included to attend, or not, along with the person who is listed in the first line of the form.  

In column 2 I will apply a formula for a random number generator next to every name in column 1.  The random number generator will pick a number between 1 and 200 for each name in column 1 and put that number in column 2.  I will sort all the names based on the number next to them in column 2, from 1 to 200.  I will take the first 50 names from the sorted list.  That will give me the list for my Primary 50, and the rest of the names will be on my Alternate list.  By using the random number generator formula for each name, everyone on the list has an equal chance of getting a lower number and getting on the list for the Primary 50.  I think it is the fairest way I can use to select 50 Jeeps and the people who will come with those Jeeps, for attending the Fall Color Tours.  

Why do I have a Primary list and an Alternate list?  The Primary list is my record of who I am inviting to join the FCT for this year.  Out of 50 groups of people, I expect that 10 or more groups will drop off the Primary list for one reason or another.  Someone is sick or hurt.  The Jeep broke down.  The cost to get here and return home is too high.  The reasons that any group would withdraw from the Primary list are many, and each one is legitimate.   

And that brings us to the Alternate list.  I want to make this event available to 50 Jeeps and the groups of people that come with each Jeep.  If a group drops off the Primary list, I go to the Alternate list and contact the first group on that list to see if they are available to fill the open Primary spot.  I keep the Alternate list sorted by the random number assigned to the group.  If they tell me yes, then I add them to the Primary list, and they are invited to join us.  If they tell me no, then I cross them off the Alternate list and go to the next group.  By doing this I will go through the Alternate list until I get someone to say yes.  Once I contact someone, they have up to 3 days to decide if they can join us.  That provides time to see if they can get vacation time, or arrange for someone to take care of their pets, or if their Jeep will be running in time to go.  

How has this worked in the past?  Last year I had 18 groups withdraw from the Primary list.  I contacted 30 folks from the Alternate list to see if they could fill the openings on the Primary list.  I did that right up to the last week before the FCT.  I don't usually get so many groups withdrawing from attending, but I will often get folks pulling out in the first week of September.  This year September 10 is the last day I will try to fill a vacant Primary opening.  I have enough to do in the last week before FCT.  And few people will jump up to join us if offered the chance less that one week before the event.  So if you make the Alternate list, don't despair, you may still have a chance to join us this year.  Having a good phone number on the registration form becomes critical here.  As soon as I find out that someone is withdrawing from the Primary list, I'm on the phone trying to contact my next Alternate. If I get sent to voicemail, I will leave up to 3 messages over several hours to call me back.  And I will wait 2 days to hear from them.  At that point I will cross them off my Alternate list and contact the next Alternate.   

My goal is to have 50 Jeeps here for each Fall Color Tour.  More than that and my fun meter gets pegged.  I find I don't have time to enjoy making new friends among the first timers, or catching up with old friends attending for the 5th or 10th time.  And because so many folks enjoy the event so much, I try hard to have every one of the 50 slots filled for the week.  But do I eliminate those who can only attend 3 or 4 days from attending?  No I don't.  You get to decide how many days of the tours you'd like to attend.  I'll provide the opportunities.  Hey, it's all free, once you've covered your food and fuel.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2022 at 7:50am
Good Sunday morning, time for the weekly Fall Color Tour update.  I received 3 more forms this week, so our total is now 87.  They were from Dawson, Leland, and Payne.  Two experienced groups and one new group.  We're exactly 4 weeks away from Lottery Day, May 1st.  I'm really looking forward to finding out who will be on this year's list.  And especially for the new folks, getting to meet them and seeing how they have their Jeeps set up.  We enjoy getting to expand our circle of friends in the Jeep world.  

And speaking of setting up Jeeps with accessories, I added a new accessory to my Blue Mule.  I found an early Warn 8274 winch last fall and bought it.  I spent some time over the winter figuring out how I wanted to mount it.  I built some parts to mount the winch on top of my bumper.  I just finished the add on and the photo below shows how it looks.  It's an old winch.  It has a low, 5-digit serial number.  All of the housing is grey, and instead of a roller fairlead to guide the cable into the winch it uses a guide block.  No moving parts, just a cast, rounded block of steel with a slot for the cable.  I've had my Jeep for 50 years and never had a winch.  Now I guess it's time to go out and get stuck to see if the winch will get me out. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2022 at 9:28am
Nice setup Mike.

Unless you plan to do the tough part of Chinamans Gulch I hope you don't need to self extract.
I was thinking it more likely you will be extracting someone else from a tough spot.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2022 at 12:46pm
Mike, After seeing your picture, I got to wondering why a winch is always mounted on the front? Just food for thought
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 6:00am
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

Mike, After seeing your picture, I got to wondering why a winch is always mounted on the front? Just food for thought

Because adventure lies ahead of us, not behind us!!

Because the guy who just got stuck is right in front of you, making it your job to pull him out.

Because there's no room in the back for a winch.  

Because you want to keep an eye on the log you're pulling so you don't pull it into your radiator.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 7:35am
i agree with m38mike, butt... always is a strong word. and winches (sometimes referred incorrectly as wenches which are yet another interesting topic altogether) ARE sometimes mounted in the rear or on a mount that can be placed in front or back. and things that can mount front and rear also have terms for them.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 8:36am
Plus it looks cooler on the front!😉
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 1:22pm
Our Willys had a PTO winch mounted on the back when my father-in-law bought it. He said he liked it on the back because you could always pull yourself out the way you came in. I also like the looks of it on the front. Ours is a Warn 5687. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2022 at 5:56pm
Mike & Mike, A front mounted winch makes having a 'snatch block' an ideal companion.  Makes a reverse pull (using a tree or another jeep) that much more fun.  Don't forget the wide tree strap.  Looking forward to the drawing to see where we all stand; either in the morning line up or in front of our screens looking at posted pictures.  

It's time to start servicing those jeeps, remember, if you need repair parts, they may not be available for quick response....
JeepRobbins
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 7:39am
Good Sunday morning.  We've got just two weeks left before the Fall Color Tour lottery!  I received two forms this week.  They were from Day and Mortensen.  They bring our total up to 89.  I'm wondering how many registrations will come in at the last minute?  Currently we have 36 new groups out of 89 registrations.  That's 40%.  This could be a big year for new folks to join the FCT alumni.  

I was checking out my 8274 winch this week when it occurred to me that there should probably be some liquid lubricant in the winch housing. I didn't see a fill or drain plug so I thought that maybe I just need to separate the casing so I can see inside.  One of the hex-drive screws holding the casing together is under the motor, and hard to get to.  I decided to pull the motor to get to the screw.  I removed the two long mounting screws that hold the motor in place and went to remove the motor. I slid the motor casing off but the armature remained attached to the winch.  I got to the housing screw under the motor and removed it.  But the winch case won't come apart.  So THEN I looked up how to get it apart.  Turns out I'm supposed to use a block of wood on the spool, and a pry bar pushing against the motor housing. That means I've got to put the motor back together. Unfortunately when I pulled the motor housing off, the brushes slid off the commutator and now I'm having one helluva time trying to hold 4 brushes wide enough against their springs so I can slide the commutator back between them.  Does anyone have any good tricks for how I can hold the brushes out of the way until I can get the commutator back in place between the brushes?  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 8:37am
Mike, I found some pics of the motor brushes area and it looks like after you remove the back plate from the motor, you may be able to use dowels to hold the springs back so they won't be pushing the brushes inward. then the brushes should stay back. I have rebuilt a couple of this style motor before and this is the way we did it. I think it may work for you. Good luck, Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 9:06am
Mike, I just thought of another way that may work. Take a piece of thin shimstock or maybe a beer can will work if it is strong enough and make a wrap that will go around the armature.It will need to be long enough for the next step. the wrap can be compressed a little to get the brushes on it then carefully slip the motor housing on. The wrap will act as a ramp to spread the brushes  to go over the armature. Then just slip the wrap out of the motor and replace the backing plate. Make sure there are no raised edges on the wrap to hangup on the armature or brushes. Again, good luck. Mike
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 10:26am
I posted a comment on Facebook . Remove the free spool and tap the armature out of the bearing. It should have wiggled out but rust or slime are making the bearing fit hug the armature a bit tight. Reassemble the armature  in the field coil pushing the brushes on the backing plate out  the back where you can reload them and reinstall the motor as an assembled peice.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 8:24pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I ended up using a thread to hold a pair of the brushes in place and a friend to hold the other two brushes.  With that help I was able to get the commutator back between the brushes and the whole motor reassembled and reattached to the winch.  It's back in business again. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 9:03pm
Great job Mike! That extra pair of hands can make the difference. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>