Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tool chest want.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool chest want.
    Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 12:16am
I would like to find a 4-6 drawer Mid chest for one of my roll aways I currently have a US General bottom chest with a Craftsman 3 drawer mid and a 9 drawer Craftsman top chest.

I can't use the top of the thing as its to high off the ground to see into. And I never seem to have enough of the 1.5" tall drawers.

Years ago in a Pawn shop I found a beat up Craftsman 4 drawer Mid chest all the drawers were 1.5" deep 26" wide and I have that in the middle of a second stack.

I wish I could find another one like it but of the next higher quality level to replace the 3 drawer I have now.

Just one of those things they don't make any more or they are stupid expensive. If I didn't have some of my tools packed away in an old 3 drawer tool box and a bunch of them in my Office at my Hobby bench I would never have room for what I have.

Always seams to be a problem.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 9:17am
I was at Lowes the other day and looked at their toolboxes and wondered to myself why I didn't buy one and get rid of my old Craftsman boxes. They seem well built and reasonably priced. Of course, that's as far as it went. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 10:14am
Almost all GOOD tool boxes are pricy. The cheap ones don't hold up. My 2 three-tier automotive tool boxes are all very old NAPA New Britain boxes that are close to 50 years old because that was all I could afford at the time. Nothing fancy but they are still serviceable. My lathe and mill precision tooling goes into 2 three-tier Kennedy machinist boxes and they are very nice for storing my micrometers, calipers, sine vises, R-8 mill tooling, etc. Too nice for storing mechanic's hand tools.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 9:51pm
In my experience, most everything good is pricey and always has been, today or yesterday. Buy it once and it lasts a lifetime (given good care).
How many manufacturer's really have that in mind when they pitch for your money today? Not many.
Quality lasts, junk don't. I try to buy Made in U.S.A everywhere I can, but quality for the cost can trump that with my wallet. Just my 2 cents.

I like that there's so much 2nd hand stuff readily available today. Lots of quality and life left in it if you shop smart.

Edited by Ron D - 08 Jan. 2022 at 9:57pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 11:03pm
I can wish in one hand and crap in the other but yup all my stuff is used. Yard sale here, swap meet there, some is better-some is worse but at the end of day I have a place to put my tools away.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Years ago in a Pawn shop I found a beat up Craftsman 4 drawer Mid chest all the drawers were 1.5" deep 26" wide and I have that in the middle of a second stack.

I wish I could find another one like it but of the next higher quality level to replace the 3 drawer I have now.

Just one of those things they don't make any more or they are stupid expensive. If I didn't have some of my tools packed away in an old 3 drawer tool box and a bunch of them in my Office at my Hobby bench I would never have room for what I have.

Always seams to be a problem.

I wasn't aware Craftsman ever marketed a 4 drawer intermediate chest in their "home owner" line.  I bought a couple of their 3 drawer versions once when they were on sale for $50.  They are junk and you can't really put anything heavy in those drawers.

I still have all the regular Craftsman roller/chests/intermediates I bought 50 years ago and all are still completely functional.  Those el-cheapo intermediates are the two to the left.  There are two more 5 drawer rollers under the bench and four more in the shop.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 2:32am
My grandpa bought his Craftsman toolbox early on. I saw it first in the mid 60s & it was well used then. It is a grey box, not red. My cousin's box has slider drawers & he still uses it at home today. I did not think that Sears had different boxes for commercial or home use back then, but this cousin disagrees. He is probably right.

I have a grey Craftsman tool box from my other grandpa. It also was well used it the 1960s, yet it has roller bearing drawers. I used it daily until about three years ago. It works well.

I have only seen the four drawer middle tool boxes in pawn shops. Some are well built & some are just junk. The older ones are well built. They are usually grey in color yet, not always.

Mark, I suggest you look in the pawnshops in your area. Portland has quite a few, or at least it did when I was there. Salem should also have some.

IHTH, Matt W.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 4:54am
LOL Matt yes Portland has a lot of pawn shops. I though tend to stay well away from that (insert much less then appealing adjective here) But I might call around the outlying areas. Afterall I did find the one I have in Woodburn.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 5:00pm
Is the drag strip still operational in Woodburn? I spent a few evenings there back in the day.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 6:48pm
Woodburn Drag strip is a going concern they have a full calendar from April to November. I haven't been in a while but I still get their schedule in the mail every spring. Its a really really good track. We even did some spruce up work there a while back. They have a very good relationship with the property owners around them Each of them getting season passes. I've delivered landscape materials to a couple of the places around there and a number of the people who live close are racers. Plus they are a big draw for the city.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 4:12am
That is good news!
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 5:57pm
Craftsman like many iconic America brands have gone so down hill, I wouldn’t touch any of their newer stuff with a 10 foot pole. If I buy Craftsman, its vintage Craftsman. 

Which is heart breaking to say. Thumbs Down 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply