Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Handle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 4:28pm

Just a word of caution dash mounting a grab handle. Have your passenger sit in the seat when you are deciding to mount the handle, if your jeep doesn't have seat belts a quick stop can wreck the passengers’ knees depending on the position of the handle.  I personally prefer to mount them on the windshield frame for this reason, or better yet put a handle on the roll bar if you have one.

Sit in your jeep and see where your knees line up with your handle placement, you'll see what I mean.

But hey it's your jeep, do with it as you want. Just mentioning this as a consideration.

Edited by ace32107 - 18 Jan. 2022 at 4:29pm
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Do a Google search for an MB sidehandle...if that isn't what you are looking for (they will be shorter than a standard dash grab bar) and you want to modify a standard grab bar to your specs....wouldn't take much to cut a section out and re weld, I'll sell this one for $10 plus postage if you want it.

BTW, an MB corner handle works really well mounted to the floor right beside the passenger seat too. (after heating and bending the tabs flat)

Think about this for a minute....which gives a passenger more confidence of not falling out, holding onto something directly in front of you or holding on with your left arm from something on the floor. (try it there in your chair)Wink

Now that is a great idea for the location of a handle.  Ergonomically, that makes a ton of sense. I would likely still do one on the dash to help my dad pull himself in\steady himself.

But after going through the struggles to re-mount the body, I wonder if I could access the bottom side of that area.  It is pretty close clearance to the transmission\transfer case.  The side handle from an MB appears to about the right size.  I can source those easily through Midwest Military.  Thankfully John is about 5 miles from me.

Edited by jgodfrey - 18 Jan. 2022 at 5:18pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 5:39pm
One of my Jeeps has a 10" stainless steel door pull

Trimco 1195-2 Door Pull 10&amp;quot; CTC - 1&amp;quot; Dia.

https://www.americanlocksets.com/trimco-11952-door-pull-10-ctc-1-dia-p-3488.html

It looks like this, and the one I have is solid. It bolts thru from the back

They are also available 'offset' 
D shape stainless steel door pull handle for commercial doors
One of my other Jeeps has hollow stainless marine handles, but rather than one bolt thru from the back, they have 2 quarter inch screw holes from the front. I don't like the appearance.

There is one similar to the one ROC is offering in chrome plate for the Tux Park.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 8:47pm
After doing the Rubicon in X98 my co-pilot requested a dash grab handle. I installed an MB side handle on the dash.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 8:59pm
I went with McMaster-Carr 1656A652 (aluminum) for my 3B in about that same position.  It fit my space perfectly.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by jgodfrey jgodfrey wrote:

The side handle from an MB appears to about the right size.  I can source those easily through Midwest Military.  Thankfully John is about 5 miles from me.

So you don't need this one, correct?  I have others that have expressed an interest in it if you don't need it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:23am
No.  Thank you though.  I found an MB side handle that I will fit to the dash.  I will also crawl under it to see what kind of access I have to placing one between the seats on the floor.

Thanks
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:48am
Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:59am
What about attaching to side of toolbox?
Mike in AZ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

What about attaching to side of toolbox?

You could but its not as ergonomic there, but if your passenger is more comfortable with it there then put it there.....where I was talking about would be right beside the seat frame on top of the toolbox and bolts would be accessible through the toolbox...its a natural. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 1:17pm
Yep. Probably easier to grab than my idea. All depends on passenger. I’ll take your idea
Mike in AZ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 4:40pm
Have had a couple people contact me but just to clarify....the handle picture I posted on Page 1 is NOT, repeat NOT an MB handle (if you will reread the post) That's just a common, garden variety, later CJ grab bar. An MB handle is shorter, though I don't have the dimensions. Maybe somebody (Bob?) will post...Thanks
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:44pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:45pm
Thank you Bob!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:51pm
The passenger can have one hand on the grab bar and the other for the windshield wiper!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 8:15pm
but then how does one operate the bottle opener? 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 8:30pm
I was distracted by the grade 5 bolts on the handle, the cigarette lighter for the CB and an adapter for charging his cell phone and other USB devices. I never noticed the 'non-coke' bottle opener.
(That's not in the Bill of Materials!)

Yes, I have WDD. Willys Distraction Disorder.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 8:35pm
I must have been looking at the BOM after using the bottle opener several times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>