Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Fuel Flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Fuel Flow
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:08am
I just replaced a Solex carb with a Carter, while I was at it I fixed a small leak iin the line at the tank draining all the fuel in the process. Pardon this newb question but I'm getting no fuel flow to the filter (after the pump), so even with ether the engine is not firing off. Is it a fuel flow issue maybe and if so, any tips?

Thanks, Wade.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:15am
You say it's not firing with ether? I'd start with that problem, not sure if you have a hand crank but priming the pump by hand sucks. So figure out the firing issue, then fuel delivery.
Not sure about your 3ngine condition, but start by checking simple things like plugs and wires

If your pump is like a stock pump, it should fill no problem, when the engine starts. It took a few minutes of cranking to get mine primed the first time.

You could take the glass bowl off and fill the metal bowl with gas, that helped me yesterday since my pumps been sitting dry for a while

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:19am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Inkandammo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:36am

I hope this pic comes out but the pump isn't the glass bowl type. Thanks for the advice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:42am
Forgot to say it's a fresh rebuild and the electrics are new from the distributor forward.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:57am
I'd try to clean that fuel line up as much as possible, doesnt matter if you do just a rubber line from the pump to the carb, but switching like that always leaves the potential for more air leaks, and that little incline before the pump might not seem like much but I had a similar issue, getting rid of the little hump will always help.
Gravity should be enough to get fuel to the pump. 
I believe that type you can take the metal bowl off of and pour some fuel in. 
Is the pump a rebuild?
Did you fill the carb bowl when you tried to start it?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:02am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Inkandammo Inkandammo wrote:

Forgot to say it's a fresh rebuild and the electrics are new from the distributor forward.
Check your coil, cause that can be an issue, if the distributor forward is fine
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:08am
The pump has not been into as far as I know. Bowl did have fuel. I can clean that line up and see how that works and also try filling the pump from the top.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:12am
As I said, gravity should be enough to draw fuel to the pump, the pump just gets it to the carb. That alone might be enough to help you.

However I would look into rebuilding the pump or at least buying a temporary replacement, the one I got on ebay has been doing good for me.

Lord only knows what is actually inside the pump
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:15am
I agree with what might be in the pump. I'll try some of this advice and see what happens. If I don't get anywhere I'll replace the pump. I'll report back with the results.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:29am
Did the engine run with the solex?  Gas to the fuel pump?  
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Did the engine run with the solex?  Gas to the fuel pump?  

Gas was to the pump and engine would idle but no throttle response. Figured I'd go with a Carter instead of rebuilding or replacing the Solex.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:02am
  Gravity will only fill the pump if the tank is clear full. If the fuel level in the tank is down an inch, it’s below the entrance to the pump, and the pump must “pull” fuel from the tank. I see two inlet-side air leaks glaring at us, where hose (5/16”?) is clamped to 1/4” tubing with no dog-knots. How many more splices that we can’t see? Air WILL (not might) leak in there and if the pump has air, it will not pump.  
  I see a fuel filter before the pump, but not one after. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Gravity will only fill the pump if the tank is clear full. If the fuel level in the tank is down an inch.

I wasnt sure of how much was supposed to be in the tank for that to be effective, thanks for clarifying.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Gravity will only fill the pump if the tank is clear full. If the fuel level in the tank is down an inch.

I wasnt sure of how much was supposed to be in the tank for that to be effective, thanks for clarifying.

Tank has 5 gal in it so not near full and lots of splices. This thing has Bubba all over it, trying to correct things as I go.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Inkandammo Inkandammo wrote:

Forgot to say it's a fresh “rebuild” and the electrics are new from the distributor forward.
(quotation marks mine. BW)

Here we go again. You call this “rebuilt”? I don’t know what’s been done inside the engine and I hope the rebuilder did a better job than the installer. This looks like Bubba put it in. 
  If I had rebuilt or installed that engine, the fuel pump would be new or freshly rebuilt and both steel fuel lines and a proper pump supply hose would have been installed. A proper rebuild and a proper installation would not have these kinds of problems. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:33am
A new pump and a set of fuel lines together are on ebay for under 50 dollars last I checked from reputable sellers. That will take alot out of the equation alone, if you want a filter I'd advise looking at a ceramic element filter for mounting by the carb.

The new reproductions have a split glass bowl but I havent the foggiest on how it affects performance, sometimes one side will fill up, or both, or neither, but it runs and I've never had an issue out of it. 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:35am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:41am
Disregard my price quote... things certainly have changed in just a year
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 11:01am
I see a freshly painted engine said to be rebuilt, an ancient looking fuel filter, old pump, and the rubber hose splices Bruce mentioned. As Bruce mentioned, every piece of clamped on rubber hose is a potential air leak, and you won't find any of that on one of my Jeeps. 

The old filter is a potential clog, and the old pump is also questionable, but some effort to isolate the issue is prudent before you start changing more parts.  

I didn't see an answer to the General's question about whether you meant it wouldn't fire with "ether" which I assume was a reference to "starting fluid". Have you tried priming it by pouring just a little gas into the throat of the carburetor?

With the information given I don't know if it is a fuel delivery problem or an ignition problem, but that mess of a fuel line needs to be cleaned up whether or not it is the immediate issue.

Where in Georgia are you? If you aren't too far from me I might be able to come help you with the diagnosis. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>