Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Fuel Flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Inkandammo Inkandammo wrote:

Forgot to say it's a fresh “rebuild” and the electrics are new from the distributor forward.
(quotation marks mine. BW)

Here we go again. You call this “rebuilt”? I don’t know what’s been done inside the engine and I hope the rebuilder did a better job than the installer. This looks like Bubba put it in. 
  If I had rebuilt or installed that engine, the fuel pump would be new or freshly rebuilt and both steel fuel lines and a proper pump supply hose would have been installed. A proper rebuild and a proper installation would not have these kinds of problems. 
BW 

As stated above, yes Bubba has had his hands on this and I'll fix things as they surface and based on the info I've recieved here I will replace the pump and lines along with the filter. As far as the "rebuild" goes I have 100% faith in that mechanic. The install on the other hand maybe not so much. Neither was myself.
I am still learning, that's why asked the question, thanks for your condescension though.
Inkandammo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I see a freshly painted engine said to be rebuilt, an ancient looking fuel filter, old pump, and the rubber hose splices Bruce mentioned. As Bruce mentioned, every piece of clamped on rubber hose is a potential air leak, and you won't find any of that on one of my Jeeps. 

The old filter is a potential clog, and the old pump is also questionable, but some effort to isolate the issue is prudent before you start changing more parts.  

I didn't see an answer to the General's question about whether you meant it wouldn't fire with "ether" which I assume was a reference to "starting fluid". Have you tried priming it by pouring just a little gas into the throat of the carburetor?

With the information given I don't know if it is a fuel delivery problem or an ignition problem, but that mess of a fuel line needs to be cleaned up whether or not it is the immediate issue.

Where in Georgia are you? If you aren't too far from me I might be able to come help you with the diagnosis. 

It won't fire with fuel poured into the carb or with starting fluid so I think spark has some to do with it. I agree with cleaning up the fuel supply line, filter and pump, Bubba had a hand in a lot of that and will be taken care of.
I thank you sir for not being too condescending on a fellow new to all of this, I know there's a lot not right with the Jeep in general but I want to learn. I am in NE GA in Royston and if you're close I'd welcome a look see, if not maybe I could come to you for some pointers and advice.

Wade.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 2:18pm
I didn't read anything "condescending" in Bruce's remarks. 

Perhaps you haven't been on the forum long enough to know this but we have all seen a great many posts on Jeeps with supposedly "rebuilt" engines that won't run. 

Back to the problem. 

If it won't fire with starting fluid or priming fuel then you are probably on the wrong track in assuming it is a fuel issue, but that needs to be determined.

Disconnect the line where it goes into the carburetor attach a longer piece of rubber line to the steel line and put the other end into a can. Turn over the engine and see if it is pumping fuel to the carburetor.

Next check to see if it is getting spark which can quickly be determined by removing a spark plug wire, attaching it to a spare spark plug held against the block and turning it over. 

If you get a spark, it is possible you have flooded it, which can be determined by pulling a plug and examining it. If you find wet plugs then it is getting fuel, possibly too much fuel. 

You said it would previously run at idle but would not accelerate, so it was pumping fuel at that time. There are a lot of things that could produce that symptom, it would be good to get it back to that point for further analysis. 

You are 3 hours away from me, but I travel through that part of Georgia from time to time, and could possibly stop by if we are unsuccessful in helping you here.

For now, check for spark, check for flooding, check for fuel delivery, and get back to us. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 21 Jan. 2022 at 2:30pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Inkandammo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkandammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I didn't read anything "<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">condescending" in Bruce's remarks. </span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Perhaps you haven't been on the forum long enough to know this but we have all seen a great many posts on Jeeps with supposedly "rebuilt" engines that won't run. </span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Back to the problem. </span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">If it won't fire with starting fluid or priming fuel then you are probably on the wrong track in assuming it is a fuel issue, but that needs to be determined.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Disconnect the line where it goes into the carburetor attach a longer piece of rubber line to the steel line and put the other end into a can. Turn over the engine and see if it is pumping fuel to the carburetor.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Next check to see if it is getting spark which can quickly be determined by removing a spark plug wire, attaching it to a spare spark plug held against the block and turning it over. </span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">If you get a spark, it is possible you have flooded it, which can be determined by pulling a plug and examining it. </span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">If you find wet plugs then it is getting fuel, possibly too much fuel. </span>
</span>
You said it would previously run at idle but would not accelerate, so it was pumping fuel at that time. There are a lot of things that could produce that symptom, it would be good to get it back to that point for further analysis. 
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">You are 3 hours away from me, but I travel through that part of Georgia from time to time, and could possibly stop by if we are unsuccessful in helping you here.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">For now, check for spark, check for flooding, check for fuel delivery, and get back to us. </span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> </span>

Thanks for that advice, I'll check all of that.
It is possible that I read too deep into Bruce's response.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 3:36pm
Yep. If you didn’t do the “work” pointed out, why get upset?  Anyhoo.  Disconnect before fuel pump and see if you get gas coming thru the line. If not, work toward back to tank. Could be fuel filter clogged. Line clogged etc.  if you got gas at pump, the on toward carb. And if you’re cranking without putting some oil down cylinders you might be causing more trouble by washing the cylinders with starter fluid and gas.  Earlier thread about that happening with engine getting harder to crank. Etc.  if no spark at plugs, then work on that also.  A lot of people here with tons more experience than I have.  Good luck
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12