Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 cj2a low compression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 2:26pm
  Stuck, broken, or worn-out rings can cause a piston top and chamber to be clean of carbon, simply by a washing action. The clean usually shows up first around the edge of the piston. Maybe that’s why #4 is washed. Did you find any evidence of anti-freeze in the cylinder or the oil pan?
  This is an exercise in futility. You’re wasting your time, your money, and your gasket set to no good end. But, just like your jeep, it’s your time, money, and gasket set. Do what you want to do with it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 7:15pm
I guess I'm feeling lucky with all this worn out engine stuff being talked here.  My new-to-me (even though I've had it over a year) 2A is motoring along fairly well.  The 2A had had tons of problem I've been working through but other than using oil the engine isn't one of them.  When I first got it I replaced the plugs, checked the points, timing and did a compression test where I got anywhere from 90 to 115 psi readings.  That was a dry test, I don't think I ever did a wet test.  Anyway, the engine revs out well and will bump right up against 55mph although that might take a minute or two.  The compression readings and a slight coolant seepage has me I thinking it has a failed head gasket but regardless, it seems to run decent. 
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12