Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 oil capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68highcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 oil capacity
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 4:45pm
How much does t90 hold
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 5:07pm
My book says 2 pints.
But I think you'll know for sure that it's full when it won't take any more in the fill hole.

Good luck!
1951 M38
1951 M100
68highcountry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68highcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 5:39pm
Gonna add when put the shifter back 😊 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 7:17pm
Do not overfill in case you might be planing on doing that (more is always better, right?) when filling through the top. Not that the T90 is going to see crazy temps under operation, but its been proven manual trans run hotter if filled above the add plug on the side.

Edited by jhg - 23 Jan. 2022 at 7:19pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 7:09pm
 You can see the fill plug hole from the top, just fill to the bottom of the fill hole. It will also flow over into the transfer case, so you will have to add oil as it levels out.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 5:10pm
I was told by a mechanic familiar with the T90 that filling until it drips from the fill hole is too high because the drain hole in the front bearing cap won't actually be able to drain back into the case.

But I measured it and the fill hole.is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch lower that the bearing cap drain.  
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 5:15pm
The T 90 shares fluid with the T18 case also, and tends to seek it's own level.
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 7:43pm
  I dont know, I just figured that the Borg-Warner engineers knew what they were doing when they decided where to locate the fill hole and recommended us to fill it until it came back out. Obviously, your “ a mechanic familiar with the T90” did no actual research into the subject before he said that. You did and proved him wrong. Good on you. 

TERRY: the transfer case in question is a Dana model D18, not T18. The T18 is a later model transmission, I believe a 4-speed, used mostly in Ford trucks.  

BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 7:51pm
Exactly when does a T-90 see crazy temp changes? I have an oil temp gauge (Stewart Warner #82115) installed in my T-90 30% OD and D-18 running Sta-Lube GL-4 oil.

And it routinely see's 3rd gear rpms between 2500 and 2800 rpm.   Doing as much as 1 hour straight at 60mph with short runs up to 65mph on the freeway my oil temp runs about 145° to 160° degrees with 155 being the average.

I have only been in 4wd drive off road for short periods of time not more then 30 min.

I sure wouldn't call that "Crazy temps under operation"

The 18 speed road ranger in my 2016 Kenworth dump truck running at 55 to 60 mph down the freeway empty runs 190° loaded on hills might see 210°

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 9:24am
Bruce, I'm still jet-lagged a bit, Must have Biden disease!
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 12:02pm
  I hope that’s not like having a lung blown out!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 2:38pm
Nope, we were on a bicycle tour in the Canary Islands and just got back late Sunday. Still 8 hrs. out of synch.
BOULDER 48 2A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 10:56am
Canary Island bicycle tour. You should share some pics. That sounds like a heck of an adventure. Did we hi-jack the thread? I think Canary Island Bicycle pics will be worth it.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 2:59pm
I had my shift tower off (for other more serious reasons) and was able to get a really good look at where the fill plug lines up to the drain hole in the front of the case.  And it is a close shave for sure.  Watching that oil line rise as I filled it is the best possible perspective for seeing how they are aligned.

I cannot believe I didn't take pictures of it, but yesterday was a full 10 hours in the garage getting my transmission put back in.

I had it on a flat surface and sure enough, the fill plug and the drain are almost exactly the same height - within 1-2mm. 

I added the oil to the sides of the main shaft so I didn't have to wait for it to drip of the gears.  When I left a couple mm on the drain hole to ensure the oil could exit the front bearing cap, the fill hole was just shy of overflowing.

I guess the best way to do this is stick to the amounts in the book, instead of the overflow rule.  But that is just me.  After seeing how this oil "slings" it is clearly getting where it needs to be, even a couple mm from the fill plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply