Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penetrating Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penetrating Oil
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 4:52pm
Found something that works well.

I have an engine that was seized with the pistons stuck in rusty bores. It had sat for a couple of months with Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder when I first started trying to tear it down, but I could not get any of the pistons to budge. The Marvel has long been my "go to" for stuff like this but the rust was too much for it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a spray can of "Seafoam Deep Creep" penetrating oil on the shelf at Autozone so I bought a can of it. 

I wasn't really expecting it to work any better than the Marvel, or PB Blaster, but when I got home I sprayed some in each bore. I went down there and would tap on the pistons with a block of wood and hammer every few days, and then spray some more in.

Last Friday two of the pistons freed up enough for me to tap them out, but the other two still wouldn't budge. I warmed those two up just a little with a torch, not hot enough to do much just a little North of warm. Then sprayed more of the oil in those cylinders.

Today I was able to tap both of those pistons on out without too much trouble.

I am impressed with this product, and thought others might want to try it. 

It saved me from having to bust the pistons to get them out which is a last resort I try to avoid.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 5:29pm
I’ve been using it at work for a couple years now, one of the better products out there!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 7:01pm
Next I will get to find out if it will free up the tappets. I got the retainers off of all the closed valves but can't compress the springs far enough on the open ones. Sprayed the tappets on Friday and was able to tap those for the open valves up out of the way today, but still can't turn the cam, so I sprayed the tappets again and everywhere else around the cam and will see how it goes in a couple of days. If I can't get the rest of the valves and the cam out I may just let the machine shop work with it.

So far this looks like a good block other than the rust on the cylinder walls. I cleaned one of the pistons and confirmed it is still at standard bore so plenty of meat there to take care of the rust.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 9:03am
Thanks for the info!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 7:05pm
After a one day soak of the Deep Creep I was able to free up the camshaft today, and got all the valves out. The rear tappet is stuck in the down position and interferes with getting the cam out. I warmed it up with my torch, and sprayed some more oil onto it. Will give it another try in a day or so. It is thoroughly stuck, and I can't turn it from the top, so will try tapping it out of the way from the bottom. This one is a real test of the oil. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 25 Jan. 2022 at 11:54am
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 7:43pm
Thanks for the update. I will watch for more updates.

Thanks again, Cpt Logger.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2022 at 10:53am
Sounds like a good item to have on the shelf.  I will look for some.  Thanks
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2022 at 3:40pm
Have not used that one but I can vouch for Kroil to do similar magic things.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2022 at 4:11pm
I too like Kroil, but the stuff has gotten hard to find around here and when you do find it very expensive. I have a can of it, but didn't want to use it for this rather big job.

Ended up using most of the can of Seafoam "Deep Creep", but the stuff works pretty darn good.

That stuck tappet freed up today and I was able to easily drive it up out of the way and pull the camshaft. 

Next up is removing the distributor, but that shouldn't be too tough. Then the block is ready to go to the machine shop. 

I plan to always keep a can of this stuff in the garage.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 4:30pm
As impressed as I am with the performance of the Seafoam product, it just wouldn't do the trick for the stuck distributor. I had heated the distributor housing at the end of each days effort, and sprayed the Deep Creep onto it, going back the next day and trying again.

I could turn the distributor about 1/3 of the way with a Vice Grip chain clamp, but it did not turn easy, and would bind up and move no further. I tried this every day for more than a week and was about to give up and let the machine shop get it out.

Late yesterday I again heated the distributor, let it cool down to warm and this time I squirted Kroil in around the distributor clamp. Went down to the barn about an hour ago, put the chain clamp on it and found it moved easily. With little effort I was able to turn it all the way around, and then it pulled right out. 

So, the Deep Creep is a good product, but in my opinion Kroil is still the best thing out there for freeing rusted parts. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

So, the Deep Creep is a good product, but in my opinion Kroil is still the best thing out there for freeing rusted parts. 

Yayyyy!.....good comparison test Clap (but not surprised at the results....its expensive but now we know why) Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 8:37pm
"Good comparison test"? Really?
I had to re-read the entire post (especially the part about the distributor) to be sure --- guess I missed the comparison part.
Like a stuck lid on the pickle jar, maybe the Deep Creep, heat, and chain wrench loosened things up for the Kroil? LOL

Edited by Ron D - 02 Feb. 2022 at 8:55pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 9:15pm
Don't know Ron, all I know is after several days worth of the Deep Creep and working the distributor back and forth until my hand and arm got sore nothing seemed to change, I still could only move it part way and it was not getting easier. 

The day after the Kroil was used it turned very easily, and came right out. Could be the Deep Creep started loosening it, and the Kroil finished the job. I don't know how to determine that, just that it did not free up until the Kroil was applied. 

I plan to keep both on the shelf, as both are good products.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 9:34pm
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 9:37pm
Best penetrating oil comparison tests I’ve seen were done by “project farm” and admittedly even those tests are sadly lacking.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 10:05pm
Yup, I keep a few good products on my shelf too.
I found that usually a combination of juices, tools, and techniques will eventually prevail --- especially when I have a good supply of "patience". Big smile

Most of the so-called "comparison tests" I've seen on the interweb (especially U-tube) are sometimes entertaining, but usually amateur unscientific garbage and a waste of time.
There's too many variables involved, especially on 65 year old jeeps.

Edited by Ron D - 02 Feb. 2022 at 10:15pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 10:34pm
OK sorry I got y'all upset....tough crowd. Stern Smile

Dang, was just some creepy oil .... carry on.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 10:42pm
Nobody's upset rocnroll (I'm not anyway).
It's just a friendly public dialog.

As hard as it is to communicate in public forums, I can't help but starting by reading things literally and then try to connect the dots.
Sometimes common sense helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by Ron D - 02 Feb. 2022 at 11:20pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>