Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A tubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A tubs
    Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:00pm
I'm doing the internet legwork for a neighbor, as some of you know. Think we've got he engine block issue possibly solved, and now he's weighing the tub issue. Has been for awhile.

I know that there has some problems with these reproduction tubs. I'm a bit prejudiced against them, and feel like it takes something away. BUT, I'm not the one that is putting the thing together, and deciding if the old tub will work out.

I've read about some from the Phillipines, MD Juan, that were available, and heard they had some fitment issues. There's actually a 45 page thread at another forum started by Rommel Juan, the owner. Haven't tried to read it all.

Then, there's Overland Willys, which seems to produce their own "repli-tub".   However, I read elsewhere that at some point Overland actually sold MD Juan tubs. ?? Kaiser, Jeepsterman, others also sell various levels of tubs and bodies, not sure the origin of theirs.

Should he decide his tub won't work, I know it would be hard and involve big travel to run down, an original. I also watch the Facebook Willys Swap Meet. 

Guess my question is whether the experienced restorers here advise for or against these reproductions.

Edited by csparks - 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:05pm
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:16pm
Some years back, Rommel made the rounds visiting several venues, shaking hands and listening to first hand feedback.  He took a lot of that back to his business.  He made some improvements but from what I've read, he may be busy with something else away from his jeep tub business.

There's another maker of body parts. (Bottom of the forum there's a section on "Product Review."  Plenty of unfiltered experiences).

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:26pm
Thank you! I'm just diving in to research thses, but found this from another thread here:

A bit higher than the MD Juan, but may be well worth it.

In general would I be right in assuming that there are 2 basic tubs out there, then? Juan and SGI?

I see that Quadratec sells the Juan tub. I own a Wrangler JK, and always found them a good source. Can't tell which Kaiser Willys sells right now, but betting it also is MD Juan.

Edited by csparks - 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:32pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 4:43pm
"Overland Willys" or "Willys Overland" as they call themselves sells their "Repli-Tub" which I am certain are MD Juan tubs, they supposedly have modified to fit perfectly.

I doubt any replacement tub, even if you magically could get a NOS original, will fit "perfectly" on a 70+ year old frame. I would not pay extra for someone else to drill holes. I have a drill and know how to use it.

That said, there have been plenty of comments about the MD Juan tubs both pro and con. For a very long time they were the only replacement bodies available, and a great many have been used over the years to produce nice Jeeps.

I have a MD Juan MB tub. A trial fit on a frame showed me it will work just fine for my purpose, but I have noticed that all of the military bodies produced by MDJ have a heavy red primer on them, while the CJ bodies all have a thin coat of black "shipping primer". This makes me wonder if both are produced by the same factory. I have also noticed more complaints were for the civilian bodies, but I don't know if that means the military bodies are better, or if it just means more people have bought the CJ bodies.

The comments I have read about the SGI tubs have been a great deal more favorable. I haven't bought a SGI body, but I did buy a SGI tailgate from Debella. Compared to the two MDJ tailgates I have bought, both brands were well made but the SGI tailgate fits the stock hinges, while I had to grind down the hinge pins on both of the MDJ versions. 

I have a CJ2A with a pretty rough body tub, and if I decide to rebuild this Jeep I will probably order the SGI body. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 6:27pm
I think if I were having this debate the first thing on the list to consider after original tub condition would be can the guy doing this or someone who will be on steady call and super cheap WELD 18ga Sheet metal in a butt joint and have the results look acceptable. Cause if you can't weld or don't have someone with nothing better to do then weld on someone elses project then fixing an original tub is going to be a very spendy and lengthy process. The guy who I have had do a tiny amount of TIG welding for me charges $90 an hour. Replacing a front floor section not including tunnel is going to be multiple hours of welding.

If how ever the tubs problems are dents and dings then even an amateur with some time can work out most dents.

Replacement panels (I strongly suggest Classic Enterprises made in the USA over anyone elses) are not cheap. SO that all has to be factored in.

Then of course the Staying power of the "restorer" if its going to take 6 months of evening and weekend time to fix a tub compared to the time to redrill a few holes etc that a truck delievered store bought tub will take. Is that going to make a difference if the project is going to keep interest.

I worked for 2.5 almost 3 years on my Willys then basically took a 6 year pause while I did other things and paid bills. Then when I got back to work on the project it was another 7+ years until I got to drive it. Granted my Project is not a restore the tractor to put around the back 40 heck half of my Willys I made from scratch it seams like. SO it took a lot longer. But my point is you have to have the staying power to finish.  
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 8:30pm
Because the original body on Ol' Red was pretty well banged up from 17 years of "careful oil field driving" by a tool pusher and a pump jack roustabout, I bought a MD Juan body. No rust, just beat to hell. I am no body man and don't claim to be. The fitment of the MD Juan body was no big deal. The only two issues I had were where the clutch and brake pedals came though the floor board and the place where the fuel tank line and drain goes through the drivers side floor. Neither of these were a big deal. If I had it to do over again I probably would. I now have a solid body that 99.999% of the people would not be able to tell from an original. The only people that might know it was not original are fellow CJ-2A owners. I know that it saved me hours and hours and hours of body work and cussing by just buying what I wanted. The reason I bought a jeep in the first place was to drive it, not work on it. I do my own mechanical work when necessary and would probably do some minor body work if it came to that. The original body went to the East Coast where rust is almost fatal to any car. The man paid more in hot shot freight than I charged for the old body. He was amazed that the body had no rust.

The purchase of MD Juan body came before SGI started marketing in the United States. If it became necessary to get another body I would probably check out the SGI body. That's not to say that I would necessarily buy one, but I think a comparison would be in order before a purchase would be made. I would have to see one in person before I could make a decision.

My 2 cents worth...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:24pm
I have an MDJ tub, tailgate, fenders and windshield that I bought from KW in the fall of 2018. Like SE Kansas, some things were a little off but nothing I couldn't fix and really pretty much what I expected.  The price I thought was reasonable for what I got.  I think those DeBella and SGI bodies are quite a bit more.   Remember you're putting these new bodies on 70 year old chassis so you gotta think - what's off, the new body or the 70 year old frame?!  Also,  I was just going to fill some of the spot welds and paint it but then I got carried away and spent weeks getting it straight as an arrow.   I'm glad I did now because it looks pretty darn good. 
Like SE Kansas,  if I was going to get another body,  I would definitely check out the SGI product if I could.  None of them are cheap.   
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:56pm
If I didn't already have the MDJ body for my project I would probably buy one of the SGI bodies from Debella. The difference in price isn't so much, especially when you spread it out over the years spent driving the Jeep. 

It may be a different thing for the folks building Jeeps for others and profit is a concern, but I build them for myself, and when I do end up selling one I am pretty sure it will be at a big loss.

As to patching up an original body. The only way that is cost effective is if, as mentioned, you either can weld good, or are good friends with someone who can. At least in this part of the country where a rust free older Jeep is a real rarity.   

Edited by Oldpappy - 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:16am
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 8:00am
I stand corrected on the Debella bodies.   They're very competitively priced considering that the grill is included.   Gotta pay shipping though.   The website states all holes are pre-drilled.   I wonder if that includes the frame mounting holes.   
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:18am
I believe Jason Godfrey used a SGI body on his beautiful CJ2A build. Maybe he will comment. From his description the body fit was good. 
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:26am
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/sgi-body-review_topic50158.html
Per Rus’s first post this is a good read

Compared to the long list of issues with the MDJ tubs, these India tubs seem like an alternative worth watching. I purchased an SGI fender for my GPW and the fit and construcion is spot on. The original Ford GPW and Willys MB passenger fenders are very different and SGI offers the two different styles.  One thing about the SGI is they do put a little bondo over some welds before they prime.  Ordering without paint is the way to go. 

Edited by Tom in RI - 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:47am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:42am
I read a lot of good reviews on the SGI bodies on the G503 forum from the military Jeep enthusiasts across the pond before Debella arranged his distributorship in the US.  
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 8:00pm
Well, I believe my guy is going to go with an MDJ tub from Kaiser Willys. He trusts that place, etc.

His decision, obviously. I have no idea how difficult salvaging or using an original would be. Still, this place really does calm the nerves pre-decision. Sounds like there is nothing that can't be dealt with on the MDJ tubs.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by csparks csparks wrote:

Well, I believe my guy is going to go with an MDJ tub from Kaiser Willys. He trusts that place, etc.

His decision, obviously. I have no idea how difficult salvaging or using an original would be. Still, this place really does calm the nerves pre-decision. Sounds like there is nothing that can't be dealt with on the MDJ tubs.

I mean when I comes to salvaging or using an original it basically just comes down to location and time/money. Around the northeast sector, you might as well not even bother trying to save a tub unless it's for certain parts or sections OR money is of no object, but at that point the tub will be mostly new metal anyway. I've seen far too many on craigslist that were basically returned to the earth but the seller "knows what they have" and are still asking an arm and a leg

Now in the midwest desert areas your chance of finding one in a respectable shape is much higher

Mostly comes to the patience of digging for one in the first place...

Edited by General Eisenhower - 29 Jan. 2022 at 8:09pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 8:29pm
You might want to check Brian’s video on metalshaper.  He got one from Pete and seems to think it is way better than the other choices out there.  After watching I would agree.  Not a big delta in cost but there may be a delivery difference 

If you search for it Brian has one for the MD Juan which was not a good review based on fit and primer etc. the 2nd one is the SGI which he seems to really like.  

If it were me (and it may well be soon) then it is an SGI hands down 

Bitz
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:00pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I believe Jason Godfrey used a SGI body on his beautiful CJ2A build. Maybe he will comment. From his description the body fit was good. 

Thanks Oldpappy. You and everyone on this forum helped me immensely. I'd never done this before and couldn't have without all the generosity of this group. So I'd be happy to answer any questions. A few have PM'ed me for measurements and photos. I'll do my best to accomodate.

Since I wrote that I completed my restoration. I am still extremely happy with the quality and fit of this kit. 

My only issue, and I still don't have a solution because it's been too cold to crawl under the dash, is the parking brake bracket. It has a bend in it that prevents it from lining up to the firewall holes. Both holes are correct, but the bracket being welded prevents a quick fix. 

Since I didn't notice this until I went to attach the cane, everything is painted. Paul Wirth from MV Specialities and I will take a look at it when it warms up and brainstorm a solution.

If you live near Redwing Minnesota Paul Wirth is a master.

Edited by jgodfrey - 05 Feb. 2022 at 1:21pm
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Kinnett Kinnett wrote:

I stand corrected on the Debella bodies.   They're very competitively priced considering that the grill is included.   Gotta pay shipping though.   The website states all holes are pre-drilled.   I wonder if that includes the frame mounting holes.   

It does.  The only holes I had to drill were for my firewall mount horn. It has holes for a fender mount horn.
 Post Reply Post Reply