Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trans / TC rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 1:17pm
Anyone know how to easily print the Stiver's rebuild guides?

Gene
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 1:36pm
gmar45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmar45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 9:27pm
Tom,
Thanks, I googled it and learned something......I didn't know it was so easy to save and print a htm file.  I was able to save it as PDF, then print it too.
Thanks for your help!
Gene
Link’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 12:51pm
I just bought a 47 cj2a and was wondering where I can get a transmission support bar?
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 9:57pm
Not certain what you’re looking for.
Transmission support member maybe?
If so, Kaiser Willys (suspect others also) have them.

Edited by Bufordjeep - 20 Feb. 2022 at 10:02pm
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 9:59pm
Pretty sure he means transmission cross member
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 9:25pm
Now almost a year later, time to resurrect this old thread.  Anyone else doing a T90 build this winter?
I’m wondering who has recently gotten small parts kits that aren’t labeled Omix.
Are there any suppliers? There was a comment a while back where someone posted they got Omix stuff from Novak.  

Looking through my stash of parts, I have an older Omix second gear still in the box (10 years old) and some small parts.  Not sure if I should use them. Any ideas? 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 11:20pm

You did ask for input so here is mine. Do with it as you please.

IF you are thinking about using the Omix gear, take it to a machine shop for a hardness test. If it is soft, they will be able to tell you. If it is soft, it is, at best, a paper weight. I bet it is a paper weight.

If the machine shop says it is a hard gear, I would have them check it for dimensions. Look closely at the gear profile. Take the gears that it meshes with in with it for this test.

Personally, I would not even consider using an Omix gear. Way too many folks have had issues with their gears. I would adapt a different transmission into the Jeep before I did that.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 12:33am
I will be re-building a T90 this Winter. I have already found some NOS gears, still need a few other things. Seems the 2nd gear is the one that is hard to find.

Back in the day Novak was "THE" place to go for this stuff, but after I read that they are using Omix-Ada stuff in their kits nowadays it completely soured my view of them.

NOS parts show up from time to time on places like Ebay, and several suppliers sell stuff other than Omix-Ada imports. 

Here is a supplier I have recently conversed with and bought a couple of things from. 

Sal has a good reputation for this sort of thing, and I plan to check with him first on the parts I still need for my rebuild.  

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 9:40am
Love em but I have not messed with T90’s for several years.
Back then Brent Mullins (Army tank guy / Texas) had lots of NOS 2nd gears available.
Would not hurt to ask.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 12:21pm
Thanks for the notes.  The military places - Mullens, AJP and Midwest Military supplied a lot of nice NOS stuff for my M38 so I’ll check with them and Sal.

Small parts kits: needle bearings, washers etc.  Have there been any troubles with these?

Edited by Tom in RI - 04 Dec. 2022 at 12:22pm
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 12:25pm
I can't even remember how many T90/D18's I've rebuilt over 60 years but there were quite a few.  That said, like Ken, I have not done much with T90's for a few years, other than scrap several out.

Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

You did ask for input so here is mine. Do with it as you please.

IF you are thinking about using the Omix gear, take it to a machine shop for a hardness test. If it is soft, they will be able to tell you. If it is soft, it is, at best, a paper weight. I bet it is a paper weight.

If the machine shop says it is a hard gear, I would have them check it for dimensions. Look closely at the gear profile. Take the gears that it meshes with in with it for this test.

Personally, I would not even consider using an Omix gear. Way too many folks have had issues with their gears. I would adapt a different transmission into the Jeep before I did that.

The omix gears sort of remind one of that you tube video of the person in India sand casting a ring gear----out of aluminum.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12