Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Trail build?? Navy Jeep?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Trail build?? Navy Jeep?
    Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 10:35am
Picked up this little fella last night. She' not a looker but the price was right and its all there. It was last inspected in 2007 and supposedly ran when parked. Been in a shed since 2008. When I got there to look at it I noticed a Navy department Data plate. So i will need to check numbers and do some googling. I don't know much about it. Sadly someone wrapped most of the tub in galvanized sheet metal but im half tempted to peel it off and see if there's any patina worth saving underneath. The oil looks good and the engine is free so Im optimistic it wont take much to get it running.  So, no I decide if im going to get it running and flip it or throw my spare 4-speed and overdrive in it an build it into a trail rig for my son and I???? It also came with two large heavy "mystery bins" supposedly full of "jeep stuff" It was 15 degrees and windy when I was loading this thing and didn't have time to go through any of it yet. Let me know what you think and I will post updates! 

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 10:51am
Nice looking project
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 10:56am
A little rough around the edges...but better than most that have been sitting that long.

The rear fender flares have to go...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 11:25am
 That data plate is very interesting.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 11:30am

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

A little rough around the edges...but better than most that have been sitting that long.

The rear fender flares have to go...

Those flairs are the only reason I bough this jeep! haha!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 12:04pm
Nice find!  I'm curious as to what treasures are in the tubs too.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 1:05pm
I personally would peel off the galvanized skin, if its rough under it, the skin is only hiding it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

Nice find!  I'm curious as to what treasures are in the tubs too.

Thanks! I’m curious too! I will likely do a youtube video when I unbox it 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I personally would peel off the galvanized skin, if its rough under it, the skin is only hiding it

I have no doubt it will be rough under there. Haha! I will see if there’s an area I can peek inside to see what’s underneath. This isn’t going to be a restoration,but I need it to not fall apart a on the trail. Ill keep ya posted. 
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 8:23pm
Nice!!! That CJ-3A was part of a block of 1953 model year CJ-3As that the Navy purchased. They had a few unique components that were specified by the contract, but were mostly a stock 1953 CJ-3A. I find the carburetor unusual for that Jeep. It is a waterproof YS series that would have been found on CJ-V35s and M-38s, not CJ-3As.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 8:33pm
Yes the 637s is a puzzlement isn't it??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2022 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Nice!!! That CJ-3A was part of a block of 1953 model year CJ-3As that the Navy purchased. They had a few unique components that were specified by the contract, but were mostly a stock 1953 CJ-3A. I find the carburetor unusual for that Jeep. It is a waterproof YS series that would have been found on CJ-V35s and M-38s, not CJ-3As.

Yeah unfortunately I don't have much more info on it. The original owner has passed away. I purchased it from his widow. Judging by some of the stories and parts I got with it... he owned it for a long time. 
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 1:28pm
I have one of those Navy data plates that appears to have never been installed on a Jeep. I've only seen a handful of Jeeps for sale with those plates, mostly down south or out west. Very cool find! Looks like a really fun project.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 2:58pm
Navy jeep - very cool!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
CMCSSeabee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 7:18pm
That is very interesting that they would have bought any "stock" Jeeps! Leave it to my old "Canoe Club" to be different.....LOL
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 7:23pm
All branches of the military purchased civilian vehicles for general use. Not every vehicle was on the battlefield.
CMCSSeabee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 7:42pm
Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of that!

I had just not seen another Navy Jeep with the government data plate that wasn't intended for any eventuality in the Service. We did buy some CJ-5's in the 70's, but I don't recall them having the standard data plate on them. Might have, my memory isn't so good after all these years (44) of managing government fleets.........................

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2022 at 11:13am
ITs still too cold for me to get motivated on this thing... But i was excited to pop a giant hunk of this rubber undercoating junk and find some navy grey! I talked to a local friend who has already restored one of these and he said the underside of his was covered in the same stuff. I know the body is rough but I think there could be interesting to se what's under all the rubber and galvanized skin. It was interesting to park my other 3a next to this one. they just look so different. I also have a 2a parts jeep that looks so tiny next to my 3a. The neighbors are all jealous they just wont admit it. LOLBig smileLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>