Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Register to post.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Register to post.
    Posted: 31 Oct. 2005 at 6:17am

Sorry to all the guests, everyone must now register to post. We are getting bad posts again and I want to try and keep out some of them.

Thanks
Russ

Edited by russnj - 19 Sep. 2007 at 2:50pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2005 at 9:36am
Sounds like a good idea to me, at the very least it will make me remember to log in when posting at work!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 1:22pm
Russ:

Having to register to post is a good idea

Did you intend to cut guests off from even VIEWING the for sale/trade/WTB forums?

Sean

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 5:48pm

Yes, I believe it is better for all parties involved in a transaction (ie: buying, selling, trading) if both are registered.

Just my take on it. Wink

Russ

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 8:18pm
Russ:

Quote I believe it is better for all parties involved in a transaction (ie: buying, selling, trading) if both are registered

I agree 100%, make everyone register if they want to post.  But why prevent them from viewing the ad?  I don't see the logic of it.

If a person is not registered, then:
    1) they can't post an ad
    2) they can't respond to an ad
    3) they can't PM the seller
Don't these already address your concerns?  What harm if they can view the ad?

If they can't view the ad, they'll never know if there's something worth registering for.  It's a dis-incentive to registering.

And it artificially limits the market to which registered users can expose their parts.

Personally I don't care, since I am registered and have access to it all anyway.  But it has provoked negative feelings from non-registered guests, and some are bad-mouthing this forum on other web-sites.

I've put my vote in the poll.

Sean

Edited by sean
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2005 at 7:36am

Russ,

I agree with Sean. Please reconsider your position.

Joe

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2005 at 7:44am

Guests have been allowed to view the posts again, and I will leave the poll open for a week to see if the users of the site agree.

Maybe we will actually see a post from Phil Polk on the board.

Thanks
Russ

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2005 at 9:28am
I really don't understand the big stigma attached to registering. Do people think it's really that big of an invasion of privacy or what?! If it's the only way to keep junk posts off, they ought to appreciate the registration....what am I missing here?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2005 at 9:41am

Russ,

Thanks for making the change to open the board to guests.

Keep in mind that you might not get a lot of responce this policy change as people might not have even noticed there was a change. If they're like me, they view the ads, tech and general knowledge, and then get on to other things... completely missing the very top of the board. I only noticed the change because Phil made a big stink about it on the g503 page. Also, people tend to bitch about stuff that annoys them and say nothing about things that are good... yours truely included. 

Here's my vote. This latest revision to allow guest to view the board only is a good thing. I hope it remains this way.

Joe

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2005 at 7:27pm

well I gotta admit, I responded to Phil's posts on both the 3B page and the G.  I think the "subject" was pulled after my post

My take: I visit lots of sites, each has their own set of "rules".  I was never afraid of registering even though I found it slightly offensive but having done so, I love the benefits. 

If visitors can view and not post that seems like a good compromise.  As long as you are ok with it.  You are, after all, the one doing all the work. 

If you were closer I'd but you a beer, along with Derek from the 3B page and Ron from the "G" and probably many others who support our hobby, hey that's a lot of beer 

Jeff

Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2005 at 2:27pm
I have absolutely no problem with having to log in!
kehoe1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kehoe1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2006 at 1:30am
Register, what's the big deal? I don't see anyone asking for credit cards,
ID or first born children I feel safe LOL. And I think 2 minutes of typing is
well worth the bennifit of being able to talk with people that might just
know a lot more than myself.
StevenBrode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2006 at 1:40pm

I watched this forum as a guest for a couple of months as a guest and never registered only because I didn't have a jeep to talk about so didn't really have anything to post. 

If I had been required to register to view posts that would have been fine with me.  Unless I missed it I didn't have to send cash to some remote island in the asiatic sea. 

This a good site with lots of good information run by some good people.   Don't be scared just register, the site won't bite.

This Newbie votes registering is no big deal.

Reno
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2006 at 11:26am

I would certainly agree that registration is essential, however, after registering a couple days ago and literally hours of trying to sign on, this is the first time that I've been successful (don't know what I did differently).  Hopefully this is only a unique problem for me because of my 10 year old PC? (I have cookies but this site doesn't seem to recognize them) 

Been lurking in the shadows ... its apparent that this group has some talent & interesting personalities; looking forward to participating!

Bluax

1948 CJ2A since 1967

Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2006 at 8:33pm
Gordon:

Ya finally got in, that's great.

Welcome aboard!

Sean
Catch 22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catch 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 11:29am
Russ, on my member profile there is a mistake.  I was born Sept. 16, 1945 and my age is 60.  Guess I gave the wrong information.  Anyhow....
Catch 22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catch 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2006 at 2:30pm
Would like to register my name and email on the CJ2A locator.  Charles Park in Houston, Texas.    My email is cparkc22@yahoo.com
I am in the process of restoring a 1948 CJ2A.  Very close.

Also, how do I find out how to contact others listed by city and state?  For example, I would like to contact Mr. Steve Schellenberg of Houston.  Thanks. 

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:03am
I was looking for some place to give my opinion and this might be the place. I wish when people register they would give a little more information. It is like talking to a wall when you don't know where they are from or about how old they are. Some times if they give a person some information about a thread it makes me fill better if in the profile they might say that they are a mechanic and this is something about mechanical stuff and if a question comes up about a legal thing and the person is an attorney it would make more sense to me. Now this is just my thoughts and by no means is against anyone special. It would be nice to have a little more info about a person.
 Post Reply Post Reply