Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission alignment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission alignment
    Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:01pm
I bought a new body for my CJ2A because the old body had rusted down to about 200 pounds.
Installed the tub and wondering how to know if the body is straight, then it came to me to install the hood and grille/radiator support and if the hood centers on the grille it is straight. So I did and it was only about 3/8 inch off. So I shifted the body a tiny bit and all is perfect. Except I then took the transmission body cover off the see about putting the shifting lever cover on the transmission. I can't because the transmission is too far to the driver's side. And looking at the main shaft in the transmission it would be about six inches to the driver's side of center at the rear bumper. The frame is straight and there is no adjustment in the transmission mount or mounting channel. Is there different transmission supports and mine is wrong for my Jeep?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:21pm
  Does the holes for the clutch and brake rods line up?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
John M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:36pm
You mean for the foot pedals, yes .   But to make it more complicated the bell crank tube for the clutch I now checked is correct with the transmission as is.
If you are interested in talking on the phone I will give you my phone number. But you might as well be ready to go to your Jeep with tape measure in hand.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:17pm
Assuming the repop tub is straight…….
First set the tub fore/aft positioning.
Set rear of tub flush to the rear xmember.
Check to see that rear bolt holes will align to tub.

Next set the side to side positioning.
Go to front of tub and measure to the frame on either side to equalize tub relative to the frame.
Then check side to side at rear of tub.

Recheck everything again in same order.
Next check to see exactly where all mounting bolts will be positioned. 
Align tub as needed to best fit the existing frame holes. 
Do not change the frame to fit the tub.

If the transmission tunnel does not line up properly, the only thing you can do is rework the tub.

Fenders, grill, hood, windshield, and tailgate etc. all get positioned after the tub fits the frame mounts.

Edited by oldtime - 15 May 2022 at 10:31pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

John M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 10:14pm
The cell tower has had problems and would not keep calls connected
After about a week they got that fixed. But I then left for vacation, but now I am back
I am asking to see if anyone out there would be interested in talking with me when the have a tape measure and we could compare measurements on my CJ2A.
Send me a message with a time that will work for you and I will call you to compare measurements.
Thank you,
John
Hawkeye283 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye283 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 10:33pm
I'm current dealing with the exact same problem.  My fenders, hood, side to side and front to aft all fit perfect.  The steering hole and pedal holes all are perfect. Problem is that the transmission tunnel is off about 4 inches to the passenger side.  I have cut the tunnel to fit, got two repop covers, cut and patched them together.  Just got to blend the tunnel into the cover and install nutplates.  That's the last thing on the list before I remove the tub and paint. 
Tom
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 7:29am
"But to make it more complicated the bell crank tube for the clutch I now checked is correct with the transmission as is."

The above statement confirms the transmission is where it is supposed to be. There are no different transmission mounts, and the transmission main shaft is not supposed to align center.

If your frame is straight,  the body aligns fore and aft, and your pedals align with the holes for them, then I think the only thing you can do is rework the transmission tunnel. 

With Jeeps I have installed exactly one reproduction tub, and trial fitted one more. The first one was ordered from JC Whitney years ago and was for a CJ2A. It required some tweaking to get the pedals through the floor and some rework on the transmission tunnel. The second one, which I have sat onto a frame for a trial fit is also a MDJ reproduction MB tub. It appears to fit better than the first, but I still expect some tweaking will be needed. 

I have mounted a number of different bodies on hotrods, and we always started at the front clip and worked back to get things aligned.

I have wondered why the MDJ reproduction CJ tubs are "primed" in black, with what I call "shipping primer", which isn't really primer it is just a coating to keep them from rusting during storage and shipping. But, the MDJ military tubs are primed with a much tougher orange colored primer that may be epoxy. This causes me to suspect they are produced by different manufacturing plants. A lot of previous problems with the military tubs have been corrected, over the years, maybe not so much for the CJ tubs.     

Those early reproduction tubs like the one my uncle ordered from JCW, were off in a lot of ways and even though they took some work to make them fit they were better than a rusted out body and we were happy enough with the end result.

Edited by Oldpappy - 19 June 2022 at 7:37am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply