Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Windshield question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Windshield question
    Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:23am
I'm back with the never ending questions for the neighbor's rebuild. Things going very well. Motor and trans on frame.

His distributor issue resolved by going back to standard setup with points over electronic. Motor runs well, but is a bit cold natured, is that typical? Going to have to fiddle with idle at some point. Put rear end up and ran thru gears with no issue. Has not tried front/4WD yet.

Now he had a question about the windshield. I'm struggling to remember the specifics. It dealt with corrosion in the two square frames that hold the glass, and the glass itself.

One thing I remember clearly is the cloudy nature of the original glass. We suspect there is little that can be done about possibly cleaning or polishing any of that out?

I'll get back about the frame assembly, but any ideas about approaching the existing frame if the corrosion is going to make it difficult to put everything back together? I saw a recent post about a tool for the weather stripping. That's helpful.

Thanks again. Making progress. Been ordering paint from an Ebay CJ enthusiast. QTM Jeep Parts. Very good stuff, looks great.

Edited by csparks - 23 May 2022 at 8:25am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:32pm
They can be a bit cold natured but it is good to make sure the heat riser in the manifold is functional.

The cloudy glass is usually caused by de-lamination between the glass and the plastic sandwiched between. No amount of polishing will help it. 

A rusty frame is just that. Not seeing it we can't say whether it is usable. The rubber seals they sell today are very difficult to install, partly because the reproduction seals are perhaps thicker than original, or the new glass panes are thicker. What works best in my opinion is glazers bedding tape, or plain old friction tape. Do not use silicone sealer to install the glass, it is a real nightmare to remove if a glass gets broken later on. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:21pm
What Oldpappy said. In addition, I bought laminated glass from a local glass shop and they installed in the frame. To me, that's the easiest way. Also, you can buy a repop inner frame. I bought one from KaiserWillys and it worked out well. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:33pm
I need to shake loose and go get better info.

I'm thinking he's gonna need the frame. I've seen an "inner frame" for about $285 (Kaiser) vs over $600 for the whole she-bang. That's some consolation.

There's a MD JUan on Ebay for about $200. Gamble or bargain?

Edited by csparks - 24 May 2022 at 2:42pm
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:12pm
Chances are they are all MD Juan. Fitment is usually better when you go repop-repop or original-original. You may find there to be fitment issues or then again maybe not. bottom line is that dealing with a rust free frame is always better. Dry fit it before the glass goes in so incase of adjustment you dont regret putting the glass in first.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:02pm
Yeah, the one KW is listing is almost certainly a MD Juan piece, they just overprice everything because that makes some people think they are getting better quality.

I have used MD Juan inner frames in original outer frames and they fit just fine. $200 isn't a bad deal, but check around some. QTM sometimes has those and their prices are sometimes better than other suppliers.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Yeah, the one KW is listing is almost certainly a MD Juan piece, they just overprice everything because that makes some people think they are getting better quality.

I have used MD Juan inner frames in original outer frames and they fit just fine. $200 isn't a bad deal, but check around some. QTM sometimes has those and their prices are sometimes better than other suppliers.

Kinda what I figured. They have to be manufactured somewhere, and MDJ seems most logical. I showed him some videos of the process yesterday.

He's the kind of guy that can make anything fit together anywhere, so I'll push the Ebay route. KW wants $125 each for the glass panels. Surely we can find someone semi-local that could cut and install cheaper.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:51am
You will do much better at an auto glass shop! I went to my local place and they cut and installed in the inner frame for me for $150. I'm glad I did because he told me when I picked it up thqat even though he'd done a couple before, this one was a bear! he cracked one of the panels in the process! That was until he went with using glass tape instead of the rubber gasket.
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 10:21am
I break my glass so often that I don't even bother with any tape or sealer. I just slide the inner frame out, unbolt it, pull the broken class out. Slide new class that the local glass shop cut for me ($35 per side) and put it back together. I used to put some silicone in there but not after I had to dig it out after breaking the glass into a million pieces. 
I think you could run a tiny bead of silicone on the outside of the glass to seal the seem between the glass and frame that would be easy to cut with a razor if needed. 
DO NOT, under any circumstances, put silicone down in the inner frame and then set the glass into it.  If you do this and later break that glass you will have a very bad Saturday. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
csparks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 10:51am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I break my glass so often that I don't even bother with any tape or sealer. I just slide the inner frame out, unbolt it, pull the broken class out. Slide new class that the local glass shop cut for me ($35 per side) and put it back together. I used to put some silicone in there but not after I had to dig it out after breaking the glass into a million pieces. 
I think you could run a tiny bead of silicone on the outside of the glass to seal the seem between the glass and frame that would be easy to cut with a razor if needed. 
DO NOT, under any circumstances, put silicone down in the inner frame and then set the glass into it.  If you do this and later break that glass you will have a very bad Saturday. 

I mentioned this to the neighbor yesterday. He said that he HAD been planning to do that. Hopefully that disaster is averted now.
 Post Reply Post Reply