Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do TO your jeep today? June 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 5:33am
Originally posted by BAD ROD BAD ROD wrote:

@BD1 Is this your hardtop?

You need to show us a few more shots of that top, that's pretty cool....nice jeep. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 6:22am
Yes, That’s Shiny at some point before I owned it. It was a good looking jeep, but dangerous to drive with a realistic top speed if 24mph or so. I junked those doors as the weighed 80lb each and opened on an angle so you really had to work against gravity to get in and out.

Edited by BD1 - 25 June 2022 at 6:24am
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 8:24am
Originally posted by BD1 BD1 wrote:

Yes, That’s Shiny at some point before I owned it. It was a good looking jeep, but dangerous to drive with a realistic top speed if 24mph or so. I junked those doors as the weighed 80lb each and opened on an angle so you really had to work against gravity to get in and out.

I saved pics of your Jeep and am building a hardtop inspired by yours.  I love it!

BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 1:41pm
Thanks for the pics! That must have been the first day out of the body shop. Three years in the Maine woods has taken a little of the shine off 😀
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 12:53am

Finally got around to installing the radiator fan shroud extension, yeah, that is blood on the alternator.
 Suprisingly, that 75 year old radiator really works well. Must have gotten regular coolant changes over the years. 

After reading so many horror stories on Dana 41 ring gear bolts - I pulled them & NONE were loose! -- degreased them & installed @ 45ft/lb with red loctite. Probably did not need to, but I also bent one of the tabs up on each. 
 -- Lubed all grease fittings, changed engine oil & filter, installed a new set of resistor plugs (probably going to get some sort of radio), & gave it it's first bath in probably decades, also a rub down with boiled linseed oil to help preserve the pristine finish.

Edited by dasvis - 27 June 2022 at 12:56am
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 8:34am
Originally posted by BD1 BD1 wrote:

Thanks for the pics! That must have been the first day out of the body shop. Three years in the Maine woods has taken a little of the shine off 😀

So the whole canvas top snaps off?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 1:04pm
I've got a little stumble above what I'm guessing is around 2,500 to 3k RPM. Idle is 100%, it starts when you barely hit the key and low RPM it doesn't care if it's full throttle, closed throttle or in-between it runs fine. But when she spins up it starts to gripe. SO, new condenser went in, points set correctly, cleaned up the distributor. Now it's time to swap a few parts around with another 48 hanging at the shop to see if I can get it running better and wait for my solid state dizzy to get delivered. Anyway, only took one pic today but I'll share hahaha

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 1:17pm
  How much side play is there in the distributor shaft? Grab that top part in your photo and see how much you can move it sideways. Any really noticeable movement is too much. There are two places that wear and result in side movement of the points cam. One is the bushings in the housing where the shaft spins. The other is right there in your picture. Looking into the hole on the top of where the rotor goes, you can see the tip of the main shaft. The cam turns on that shaft as the centrifugal advance works. They wear in there. Bushings may take some of the side movement out of the main shaft but there is no bushing in the cam and there’s nothing we can do about wear in there. I think I have only seen two IAD 4008 distributors that were not worn out, and they were both freshly rebuilt. And I mean rebuilt, completely. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 03 July 2022 at 1:18pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 6:03pm
I am Le Dumb... I took it apart again today and played with a few things. Somehow i still didn't take a picture of what I wanted to. I ordered a solid state distributor to replace mine. I wanted to take a pic and share how the slots on the cam and stop plate are egged and worn like crazy. The holes that the weights rotate on are humorously egged as well. When I get the new dizzy installed this week I'll take a pic. It's bad enough that I think that's at least 90% of what little issue I have going on. I'm thinking the timing isn't smoothly adjusting as it should and/or sticking in place blah blah blah something like that. Anyway, I'm gonna do a little oil change and top off all my fluids to be ready for some cruising soon

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 6:18pm
I made some Micarta "clips" to hold the leads from my Bikini top in a better position and WAY tighter. Then I made some little aluminum L brackets to put the male side of a snap on and connected them to the Snap on the Bikini Top that would go to a Snap on the Windshield Frame. Once I had the clip done I put some Para Cord through the other end of the bracket and then looped the Para cord through the Door hinge pivot and cinched it up nice and tight.

I also washed the wheels, Windshield, and dusted off the Tub in prep for the Car show the grand daughter and I are leaving for at 7am.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I made some Micarta "clips" to hold the leads from my Bikini top in a better position and WAY tighter. Then I made some little aluminum L brackets to put the male side of a snap on and connected them to the Snap on the Bikini Top that would go to a Snap on the Windshield Frame. Once I had the clip done I put some Para Cord through the other end of the bracket and then looped the Para cord through the Door hinge pivot and cinched it up nice and tight.

I also washed the wheels, Windshield, and dusted off the Tub in prep for the Car show the grand daughter and I are leaving for at 7am.

I'm going to be tackling that soon. I've got a CJ5 (i think) bikini that was free and some windshield channels from lord knows what. I'm gonna cobble them together in a reliable fashion and block some sun hahaha
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:11pm
I replaced all seals and gaskets on a D18 that is going into my CJ2A. It is supposedly a recent rebuild, but whoever did it did not understand how to seal one up. The way that thing was leaking would have provided good undercarriage rust protection, but I believe I can get along without that feature.

With the cover and flanges off I inspected it and everything looks and feels good, all the gears look new, and it has real positive crisp shifting, so I think it really was rebuilt.  

I have rebuilt a T90 to mate with it, so next up is installing them, along with a new clutch. After that I will have went through the whole drive train on this Jeep, including axles, brakes, steering system and suspension. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 3:24pm
ScoutPilot rebuilt my WO carb and sent a 'Magnatrap' for fuel filter.
Installed today and followed instructions to adjust carb and timing.
Now running great, all ready for the Fourth!

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 6:35pm
Flipped the tub over to see what needs repaired. Already marked a bunch of holes to be welded up and some rust damage.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 7:17pm
Put some shoes on her and set her down on wheel dollies. Installed Big Willys Hi Line U bolt & skid plates. Next is to put the tub back in place and begin work on doing a Saginaw steering conversion.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 10:00pm
Got the 396 ready to go in my 2A. Big blocks fit, right?

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:46am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Not a lot, however, I am gathering the parts to assemble a heavy duty magnetic base to mount my Garmin without drilling holes in the dash or cowl. Ram mounts ball parts plus a strong magnet from Ace hardware. I'm adding felt to the bottom of the magnet so I can get it off.

Great idea!! I use ram mounts on my fishing kayak they are great

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 10:07am
I wish. Taking that top off would be a major project. Even removing just the fabric looks like something I’d need a real good reason to do.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>