Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch issue
    Posted: 19 June 2022 at 8:28am
So it's been a few weeks since I've been on the site or driven the jeep, but now I am back from my annual training I drove it today!
The jeep made it up just fine to my unit, but apon getting there, I went to back into the spot. I step on the clutch and move the shifter into reverse but it is grinding, not bad though, I can force it in and the jeep wont move till I let off the clutch pedal. Same for 1st gear.
I think I'll be able to make it home, but any ideas of something to check?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:08am
Clutch adjustment time.

The clutch is not disengaging completely. 

How much pedal free play do you have? Should be about an inch, if more than that you need to tighten it. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:31am
I've never done that before, is it something that can be done with simple tools? All I have with me is a wrench set and a few screw drivers 

Oh and edit, I have about, at most, a third of the pedal movement in free play

Edited by General Eisenhower - 19 June 2022 at 9:33am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Clutch adjustment time.

The clutch is not disengaging completely. 

How much pedal free play do you have? Should be about an inch, if more than that you need to tighten it. 

^this... and if you're running the original style rod linkage have a look at that as well, from the pedal to the bell crank tube.  They are notorious for wearing at the ends.  I've had the ends break, but also wear to the point they bend without snapping (making the linkage "longer")
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:33am
The linkage and bell crank rod have been replaced with brand new, so that problem is resolved for now
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:37am
Crawl underneath and have someone work the pedal. See what’s going on. Maybe your repair has come loose
Mike in AZ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:51am

check rod 16 and the associated holes for wear, check cable 3 for parted wires, adjust if necessary by pulling cotter pin and pin at 28, loosen locknut 26 at pin yoke 27, turn yoke to shorten cable throw, renstall in reverse

I've also had one of the bolts at the bell crank tube end 15 disappear, allowing the tube to displace and affect adjustment

Edited by mbullism - 19 June 2022 at 9:56am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 10:05am
"I've never done that before, is it something that can be done with simple tools?" 

Yes, all you need is a wrench, but what I am having trouble understanding is how in the world you could have changed the rod and linkage without adjusting the clutch.

A third of the pedal in free play? Are you sure about that? There should only be about an inch of free play, and at a third of the way down the clutch should begin to disengage. 

Check to make sure something hasn't came apart, and if everything is still together tighten the adjustment on the clutch until you only have about an inch of free play. Too loose and you won't get full disengagement, too tight and you won't get full engagement and will burn up the clutch disc. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 10:15am
On this hour long drive it only did it at the very end of my drive.

When I put in the new parts I didnt think to adjust it because first priority was replacing the heavily worn out parts. Now that that's done, it appears I do need to adjust it

Everything is snug and tight under the jeep, none of the rods are loose, no bolts missing or pins

Edited by General Eisenhower - 19 June 2022 at 10:16am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 10:48am
I may be wrong, but the linkage seems way adjusted out already. Note the pin has been pulled, just so no one thinks that's the issue lol 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 19 June 2022 at 10:49am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 11:47am
I had a bent throwout bearing yoke/fork on the first jeep I owned. That would give the same symptoms you described. 

Edited by Jeff J - 19 June 2022 at 11:48am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 11:50am
Has the clutch been replaced, or is it an old one?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 1:51pm
Its the clutch that's been on there since I bought it. 

I did make it home fine, the symptoms dont seem to affect while moving. When sitting still its grinds hard into either 1st or reverse, but, for instance, rolling up to a stop light, I can double clutch at about 5 mph into 1st gear without grinding at all.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 2:55pm
You may be due for a new clutch. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 3:25pm
Oh man, that prospect is certainly unnerving. Never done that before either and that is a big undertaking for me by myself lol.
However it would give me the opportunity to replace the bell housing, the current one has a hole cut in the bottom where you can see the clutch disc and a little more with a flashlight

Edited by General Eisenhower - 19 June 2022 at 3:29pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 12:16pm
I suppose I should ask, is clutch wear something that is visibly inspectable? Whether it be from the top inspection cover, or from the hole cut in the bottom? 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:00pm
You can see the disc in your picture but only from the side. It doesn't look too thin, but you can't see the wear surface. Usually a worn out clutch will begin to slip and afterwards make some noise if it wears enough to get into the rivets. 

I am concerned about two things you have presented. First the excessive pedal free play, and second the 
bottomed out adjuster.

Check that your clutch fork has not come off the pivot pin, the spring clip is not broken, the fork is not bent, and is in the collar of the throwout bearing. Look at the throwout bearing as best you can to make sure it has not come apart, but a bad throwout bearing usually screams at you when the bearings are gone. Might help to have someone in the Jeep push and release the clutch so you can watch through that handy hole in the bell housing.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 2:18pm
In terms of noise, there is none at all, no vibration in the pedal either. As for the rest of that I'll try to see what I can, and maybe the top cover can show what the bottom hole cant. I'll let yall know
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>