Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 2:42pm
  A new clutch disc has grooves in the facing that run radially (from center to OD). They are to evacuate dust and to cool the clutch assembly. Usually you can see the ends of these grooves from the edge, even with the pressure plate applying pressure on the disc. If these grooves are gone, the disc is worn out. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 20 June 2022 at 2:43pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 2:48pm
  As a clutch disc wears, pedal free play goes away. Your adjuster is adjusted as far as it can go in the “reduce-free-play” direction and you still have too much. I’d say that a worn disc is probably not your problem. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 20 June 2022 at 2:49pm

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 2:59pm
The grooves being the ones pictured? I pulled this disc off the parts engine

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 3:01pm
From what I can see in the bottom hole, the fork doesnt appear to be bent, however I cant see the end where it link onto the cable, the curve of the bell house gets in the way. I'll remove the inspection cover to see if that helps
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 3:27pm
Yes those are the grooves Bruce was talking about.

Bruce also clarified my concern about the excessive free play in the pedal with the adjuster bottomed out.

It just about has to be something out of kilter with the clutch fork.

BTW - I was searching through all my junk this morning looking for an old clutch disc. I need one to clamp in a vise to keep the transmission I have on the bench from turning while I remove the overdrive that is on this unit. Evidently my buddy got the old ones I had last time he made a scrap run.

How attached are you to that one? 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 3:49pm
I'm not necessarily attached to it, I just thought it was cool. Not sure if it has life left in it though, that's why I still have it. If you want it I can send it your way.
I'll try to get the best view I can on the fork and see what's about it right now

Edited by General Eisenhower - 20 June 2022 at 4:46pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 4:24pm
It would work for what I need one for, but it is not something you want to put back in a Jeep. The side where the grooves are so worn looks like it was slipping pretty bad, notice the "glaze" on the surface.

I will PM you about that old disc.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 5:02pm
FWIW The disk shown in the top pic is OEM Borg Beck.

Edited by oldtime - 20 June 2022 at 5:14pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 9:38pm
$18.80?? SOLD to the Idaho Muleskinner! How much to ship to 83316?LOL 
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 6:00am
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

$18.80?? SOLD to the Idaho Muleskinner! How much to ship to 83316?LOL 

They always git ya on the shipping LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 6:19pm
So I think I may have identified my problem... maybe.
It appears that a pin has cracked through the fork, which would explain the suddenness of it

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 6:22pm
The clutch fork seems to be barely engaging when I have my wife step on the pedal and that broken off metal peice is barely hanging on. If my understanding is correct this explains the bottomed out cable along with it not wanting to function properly at a standstill.
And I'm amazed it made the fifty mile journey home with no further issues!

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 June 2022 at 6:25pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 6:24pm
When I buy a new one, is it possible (with a great deal of patience) to install without taking the transmission off at all? Manipulate it through the inspection cover?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 7:05pm
  I thought that might be it, but didn’t get around to mentioning it. Yes, you can, with a great deal of patience, install it through the inspection hole. I drill a tiny hole in the top flange of the fork and tie a piece of string to it. If I drop it in the bell housing I dont have to fish for it. When done I pull the string and break it. 
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 7:51pm
As with most of the broken peices I've discovered on this jeep, I wonder how long it's been on the verge of failure
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 9:52pm
Alright so I managed to procure a fork from my spare jeep pile. It was coated in a tar like oil but cleaned up with no rust. Does it appear to be usable?

And getting the fork in seems relatively straightforward, how's about getting it out? I just ask if there is anything I should be mindful of, or tips to be careful with

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 June 2022 at 10:09pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:09pm
Yes, that fork looks serviceable. 

The old one has to come out through the inspection hole, I don't think it will fit through the hole you showed in your bell housing. You should be able to pop it off the pivot and carrier with a long screwdriver, then fish it out with a piece of coat hanger wire or something. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 21 June 2022 at 10:10pm
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:11pm
It's steel (magnetic). Maybe more control than a screwdriver, coat-hanger, or something.

Next thing to fail will be the throw-out bearing.

Edited by Ron D - 21 June 2022 at 10:20pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>