Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:19pm
 Ike said: “I just ask if there is anything I should be mindful of, or tips to be careful with”

Yeah. Try not to drop the old fork in the bottom of the bell housing.  LOL
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Ike said: “I just ask if there is anything I should be mindful of, or tips to be careful with”

Yeah. Try not to drop the old fork in the bottom of the bell housing.  LOL
BW 

Lol maybe I should get a magnet on a stick before attempting as suggested 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:49pm
You can bend a hook in a coat hanger wire, hook it around the fork and bend it back over before you pop it off. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:54pm
Some bubble-gum on a stick might work too.

Imagination (and ok, maybe experience) plays a large part when the objective is to fix something without taking it apart --- like using the manuals, inspecting things, and doing the job right.

It could be good training for future repairs on the remote trail. But not so much for working at leisure in a nice dry shop on your baby and then wondering how many miles what you didn't see will last.

Open the manual. Take it apart. Do it right. Change the broken bell housing while you're at it.
She deserves it, doesn't she?

Dang it....did I say that out loud? LOL

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 21 June 2022 at 11:51pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 5:20pm
Wow, just wow

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 5:53pm
Sure explains things doesn't it? 

So, now you are experienced in getting the fork out through the hole which is something I have a lot of trouble with because of my big and arthritic hands. 

Tie a string or wire to the new one and use that handy extra hole to get more light in there. 
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 6:05pm
A wee bit worn
Mike in AZ
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 6:26pm
that's a beauty. as bad as that is i'd wonder about the pivot, spring, t/o bearing..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

that's a beauty. as bad as that is i'd wonder about the pivot, spring, t/o bearing..

+1 & if going that far - Surface flywheel, replace clutch & pressure plate, inspect ring gear AND find out where all of that oil is coming from.... then there is that broken bellhousing.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 7:10pm
So the install went well, I tied a peice of floss to maintain positive control of the fork which helped alot. After I got the linkage back on, I started the jeep with the cover off so I could visually inspect, and it performs surprisingly quietly with the cover off. I didnt hear any rattling or screaming from the bearing. Visually while its rotating I see no vibration or wobble.

Takes barely a full second for the visible shaft to stop turning and it seamlessly glides into first and reverse. If it wasnt raining I'd take it for a jump around the block, but that can wait.

The pivot didnt feel worn in an oblong manner nor did it look non spherical. I could spin it with my finger, not sure if that's normal. I couldn't pull it out however. 

I know the oil is coming from the transmission, I mentioned prior that two shift rails have oil coming from them, and I'm sure the front end is leaking too, not a bad leak but still something I want to address. 
As for the bell housing, when I said cracked, I meant one or two of the ears are partially broken where it bolts to the engine. Maybe I made it sound worse. Not ideal and I'd like to replace it, and go over everything inside as well. But a new baby takes both time and money, so this will have to hold for now

Edited by General Eisenhower - 22 June 2022 at 7:11pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Sure explains things doesn't it? 

Tie a string or wire to the new one and use that handy extra hole to get more light in there. 

It sure does explain things! And that handy hole is at least halfway useful, allowed me to verify the bottom of the fork was seated
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:11pm
Glad you got it fixed. If it works, it works, and the refresh can wait until it doesn't work. 

Meanwhile back at the ranch, now is the time to start accumulating parts to be ready for a clutch replacement, and transmission seal up. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:28pm
Indeed it is. I have a perfect bellhousing, sandblasted and painted, as well as a transmission housing. My plan is to rebuild the one I have out, when it's time to pull out the old, I can replace the clutch parts and press in the rebuilt transmission. Other than rebuilding the tranny, collecting parts for the clutch assembly should be on the list as well!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 9:28pm
Victory!
Good old American ingenuity is always motivating.
Congrats!

1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Victory!
Good old American ingenuity is always motivating.
Congrats!

I know it wasnt the full overhaul recommended but dont worry, I'm prepping for that.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 9:43pm
I know it was mentioned to have about an inch of play in the pedal. Is this to avoid riding the bearing? I'm sure mine needs a little adjustment but when fully off the pedal the throwout bearing retracts about and 1/8th of an inch from its contact on the pressure plate fingers. 
Is this far enough or does it need to be adjusted further?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 10:27pm
  A little less than that 1/8” of clearance will get you your inch at the pedal. You probably have a little more than an inch now. If the clutch releases so you can shift without mashing the pedal against the floor, it will probably be ok. Did you adjust the cable, or is it still pulled up to the max?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 6:12am
No, I took it off, cleaned up the threads and the cleavis pin is at the other end of the threaded rod, adjusted it enough to get it onto the cam rod without pulling on the fork

I have a spare pressure plate, is that something I can rebuild and recondition or is it better to buy a new one?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 23 June 2022 at 8:07am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>