Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 8:56am
I believe…
There are still around a few places that rebuild clutches.
New fiber discs and marcel for the driven disc.
Personally I would prefer that over a new replacement disk so long as you have the OEM Borg Beck clutch hub.
That’s in large part due to Borg Becks reputation. 
Borg Beck is long gone yet many clutches still today suggest they are of the Borg Beck style.
That alone is a misrepresentation because Borg Beck mfgr clutches used various styles of cover plates.

But this decision to rebuild a disk also depends on the condition of your pressure plate assembly.
Behind my F134 I used the OEM NOS 9-1/4” Auburn clutch and disc. Very nice smooth operation.
There were very many mfgrs used for the 8-1/2” pressure plates.
Like Thelander, Spicer and Rockford plus others. 
Rockfords technically required different disks and different parts of the control linkage. And here again some mfgr. clutches are referred to as the Rockford style.

Edited by oldtime - 23 June 2022 at 9:14am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 9:13am
QTM has a good quality kit at a decent price. 

I bought one from them for one of my Jeeps.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

QTM has a good quality kit at a decent price. 

I bought one from them for one of my Jeeps.

Well I do like them; so I'm gonna look there! Wont hurt to have the parts on standby. 
As long as the rain stops before I get home, I'm gonna take it for a drive and see how it does in movement 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 23 June 2022 at 9:40am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:09pm
  When you replace the clutch it is best to replace the clutch disc and the clutch cover assembly (the pressure plate is actually one part of the cover assy, though the assembly is commonly called the pressure plate), as well as the throwout bearing and pilot bushing. To make it right, the flywheel should be surfaced as well. If the pressure plate / cover assy look good and you wish to roll the dice and not replace it, it is best to re-install it in the same position on the flywheel. I mark the cover and the flywheel with center punch marks near one of the six bolts before removal. If your clutch doesn’t chatter or grab at the present and the plate is not badly worn, you might get away with re-using it. But it is a toss of the dice. Best to replace the cover assy and surface the flywheel. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 23 June 2022 at 12:10pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:35pm
When it gets to the point where I pull the transmission, I'm gonna do it right and not roll the dice, its alot of work to gamble
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:53pm
Mike in AZ
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 10:05pm
Final update, the jeep drove perfectly, zero issues with the clutch. I went through all gears in both ranges. Even claimed a 10 foot dirt mount which made the wife cover her eyes lol.
Thank you all for the help! I'm not sure exactly how a fork can fracture apart like that, or how long it was going, but I'm glad it was simple 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234