Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 Headlight bucket color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourty6TwoA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 Headlight bucket color
    Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:35am

Greetings and happy Father’s Day to the fathers out there!  I did a fair amount of searching and found that the headlight buckets are painted chocolate brown. Mine appear to be something different than I’m seeing in photos. On my 1946 2a (serial number 60xxx) the headlight and parking light buckets are original paint and original to the vehicle. They appear to be another color. Question for the experts, were these color matched with the body color in 46? 

My 2a body was repainted by the second owner, done in tractor grey. Nice job, very thorough covering all on original sheet metal. But I’m curious and may go back to stock. I will attempt to post a photo here. The color looks Luzon Red on the headlight and parking light buckets. At least to me in person. But I also believe this color wasn’t available until 47.  Someone can correct me on that of mistaken.  Last, I did look under the cowel and confirmed there is also a very light Luzon Red color, but it is very faint, not much paint was put down in that spot. 

I have a very original 2a, third owner. Not many (or really any at all) mods.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 8:00am
I've only owned a 47 and a 48, but both had the dark brown headlight buckets.  I was able to clean up and match the original (pretty close) to a dark walnut. I used a black primer. Here's a picture.  Hope it helps, if you do decide to go this route.

Edited by Hamhog - 20 June 2022 at 8:02am
Dave
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 11:57am
You will find that all headlight buckets were either the brown that Hamhog showed or black. There have been many old discussions here on the forum about when brown was used and when black was used. I guess you do what you think works in your situation.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply