Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I say remove the driveshaft and while there replace the u-joints or just check condition...

Some do and most don't. The driveshaft in the picture has been repaired at some point in it's life; that isn't a factory weld.

That picture is a good illustration of the tab style dust cap.

Interesting. They may be later driveshafts, not sure where I got them from.  You are right about the alignment arrows, the other shafts I have do not have the arrows.

Edited by berettajeep - 20 June 2022 at 5:57pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 7:41pm
If the slip joint splines are worn, vibration can also occur. Check for any free motion either on rotation or side to dide.
BOULDER 48 2A
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 12:19pm
Hi guys,

Problem solved. Cheers to you!

I undid the rear propeller shaft and aligned the yokes. Was all easy. Tried the same with the front but the splined end were totally frozen. No way to move them. So, decided to drive for now without the shaft and look for a repair in the meantime.

Thanks again
Klaus
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 8:57pm
If the spines are frozen, that may be a major part of your noise. The drives shafts need to be able to flex in length. If they do not, the drive shaft is trying to move the axle housing(s) fore & aft. This puts a huge strain on both the pinion shaft assembly & the "U" joints, not to mention the transfer case bearings or engine mounts. Not good.

When you do get the splines to move, check the spines themselves for any twisting or steps in them. After 70+ years of use, neither of these scenarios are unusual. Any good drive line shop can replace your splines.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 9:05pm
Typically, a frozen slip yoke on a spline is caused by rust or mud (or both) in the inside of the slip yoke. Sometimes the yoke can be removed by hammering the back side of the slip yoke after the dust cap is removed. The driveshaft should be supported in a vise, preferably a chain vise so that the tubing is not distorted.
After the slip yoke is removed the splines need cleaned up and the inside of the slip yoke needs cleaned out. If there is no unusual wear the slip yoke and spline can be put back together and greased well. The assembly should slide easily after being greased. Reinstall the dust cap.

If the splines look barrel shaped, it is time for replacement of the splines AND the slip yoke by a competent driveline shop or replacement of the complete shaft. If the splined end is barrel shaped, you can almost guarantee that the slip yoke is worn also. If you replace the splines always replace the slip yoke. Check the condition of the u-joints on both end of the shaft while you are at it.

Do not run the driveshaft in a frozen state as this can cause damage to the axle pinion bearings and/or the front transfer case output bearing.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 24 June 2022 at 9:07pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 8:22am
The Frozen shaft will definitely not go back in the car. I tried to hammer out the end but no way … not moving a bit.
We don’t have a Driveline shop over here so I guess I will look around for a replacement. If online has one extra on the shelf, don’t be shy Smile

Otherwise, I did a longer ride yesterday and the noise is definitely gone. The PO didn’t pay attention of how the yokes are positioned. I must admit, I also just learnt now, that there is just one way to go.

Guess, every day you learn something new

Later
Klaus
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 8:41am
Assuming you have a stock CJ2A here is one possible solution:

Edited by Jeff J - 25 June 2022 at 8:42am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:27am
unless you are building a show quality restoration. I strongly suggest you look up Tom Woods drivelines on line. His work is bullet proof made in Utah and costs less for a complete deluxe drive shaft with shipping the the local states wanted to rebuild mine.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 10:17am
You didn't go into detail as to what you did to un-spline the drive shaft except to hammer on it. Before I threw it away I would put every effort into getting to apart. There is a good chance that it is still in usable condition, just needs freed up to slide. Many of these old vehicles were never driven in 4 wheel so they tended to freeze up. Many more never got grease like they needed. Does your drive shaft still have the grease zerk? If so will it take grease? If it won't take grease try pumping penetrating oil into it. Hold a hammer on one side of the yoke and hammer on the opposite side with another hammer, not really hard, just good hard taps to help break out the rust. You can also heat the yoke to try to get it to expand, not red hot, just even heat, then try to drive it apart. Use a brass driving bar so that you don't distort the yoke. A picture would help. Good luck!    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 10:39pm
new to me jeep had both slip joints frozen. compressed the shaft in a press to break the slip joint loose and chained it in a Hilift jack to remove it.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 12:35am
I took a couple of lengths of grade 8 all thread & made a couple of stout plates and some nuts & just made a cheap driveline compressor / separator tool. Worked great.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 10:57pm
This weekend I removed both drive shafts from a Willys P/U I’m overhauling to replace pinion and xfer case seals. Found front drive shaft slip joint frozen. 
I did the same, compressed in my press, but used engine hoist to pull apart, hooked one end to the base other end to the lift and pumped it up.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12