Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Clutch
    Posted: 27 June 2022 at 7:23am
Either I'm getting older and weaker, or my clutch is heavier than I think it ought to be.  Maybe both.  It seems like I'm pushing a log up a hill every time I push in the clutch.  Everything engages fine, I've checked the underside for obstructions and lubed everything that looks like it needs some.  I don't have another Willys nearby to compare it with, but don't recall my previous '46 CJ2a VEC having such a heavy clutch.  Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 10:27am
Is the pedal return spring correct? 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 12:57pm
Hard to say.  The spring is what came with the pile of parts when I bought this.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 1:43pm
Pretty much has to be an issue with the clutch control system.
This includes the pedal lever, pedal pivot bravket, clevis and/or rod linkage, the lever and tube assembly (aka bellcrank assembly), Adjustable release cable, release fork and pivot stud, bearing retainer snout and carrier, and finally the throw out bearing.
I don’t see that the cover plate assembly itself could be the issue.

Edited by oldtime - 27 June 2022 at 1:45pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 8:00pm
Do you know what clutch pressure plate your jeep has? I know that my jeep has the clutch cover circled in red on the photo- it has six springs while the other covers have only three. I'm certainly no drivetrain expert, but it stands to reason that six springs would carry more pressure than three. Unless those are three impressive springs.

Both pictured are 8.5" clutch covers for the Willys jeep; I'm sure others can offer more information about the two versions than I. But I do know that my jeep's clutch pedal seems stiffer to push in than it needs to be.

HTH

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 10:32pm
I guess I should clarify what I meant when I said that the cover plate is not an issue concerning stiffness.
I meant it’s not going to increase in stiffness so long as it is not being changed for another style or make. In other words it certainly does not wear away and thereby increase in stiffness.

But yes if you are changing cover plate assemblies around that can certainly have an effect on the feel or stiffness of operation.
The six spring cover shown by otto is a genuine “Rockford” or at least a Rockford style clutch cover assembly. They technically should have different linkage than an “Auburn” type cover assembly.
There were several mfgrs that had a design looking very similar to the Auburn clutches. Thelander, Spicer and Atwood clutches are all very similar to the Auburn.

Edited by oldtime - 27 June 2022 at 11:06pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 1:16am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I guess I should clarify what I meant when I said that the cover plate is not an issue concerning stiffness.
I meant it’s not going to increase in stiffness so long as it is not being changed for another style or make. In other words it certainly does not wear away and thereby increase in stiffness.

But yes if you are changing cover plate assemblies around that can certainly have an effect on the feel or stiffness of operation.
The six spring cover shown by otto is a genuine “Rockford” or at least a Rockford style clutch cover assembly. They technically should have different linkage than an “Auburn” type cover assembly.
There were several mfgrs that had a design looking very similar to the Auburn clutches. Thelander, Spicer and Atwood clutches are all very similar to the Auburn.

Oldtime, could you please elaborate on this? What would need to be done to accomodate the Rockford style clutch regarding the linkage?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 7:33am
Thanks for all of your information.  This is looking like it is getting beyond my pay grade.  I was hoping for something along the lines of "Make sure you remember to grease the zerk hidden between Berditzman flange and the Gazinta arm."  I'm going to have to do some more digging to figure this all out. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 7:53am
You could also disconnect the cable and make sure the levers and stuff are moving freely. Just be careful not to drop the clutch fork. It should stay in position, but I somehow did that once and getting it back in place was a bugger.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 9:07am
Otto, 
There’s several things that are used to determine the exact clutch control linkage that is required.
Clutch diameter (8-1/2” or 9-1/4”), transmission (T90 or T98-A),
Clutch make (Rockford or other makes)

The parts that change are the 1- control cable (connects to the fork), 2- the lever/ tube assembly (aka bellcrank) 3- the rod or clevis rod (from pedal lever to bellcrank) and even the fork for Rockford's.

Anyway if you have a 8-1/2” Rockford you need these specific parts.
807665 lever
807995 upper cable
807235 spring, clutch to bearing carrier 
807866 spring,retracting clutch release bearing

Edited by oldtime - 28 June 2022 at 9:08am
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply