Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.50 X 16 Tires - Clearance ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:38pm
Hi Oldpappy,

I have been running Firestone (Coker) 7.50 x 16 square shoulder NDT's on 5" rims with tubes since Aug. 2020.  My passion is rocks so I wanted the most clearance I could get while keeping the stock look.  This photo shows them alongside the 215/75R15's that were on Grasshopper when I got him.

Left to right.  7.50 x 16, 7.00 x 16,  215/75R15

I had already installed Tracker/Sidekick disk brakes on all 4 corners and had to add 1" spacers to clear the rims.  I also installed new Crown stock springs front and back when I went to the 7.50's.  I like the look as well as the little bit wider stance.

I recorded a bunch of measurements before and after the new springs and tires.  Hope you find my notes useful.

After running the 7.50's now for nearly 2 years I am very happy with them.  In May they pulled me up a big ledge at Southington that I have only seen one other flatty make - Jpet of course!LOL  I am still experimenting with pressures.  I run 20psi on the road and ran 12psi last time on the rocks and will go lower yet.  Jpet is running 6psi.  I am also thinking about siping them.  At full stuff they  just barely rub the inside of the front fender - not even enough to rub through the paint.

I would suggest that you put them on and try them out.  I think you will like them!  If not, add me to the list of folks that would like to buy them from you.  I have a friend here who has been trying to order a set and is being told they are on a long backorder.

Hope this has been helpful!

-Barry

P.S.  As I recall, Stan is running 7.00 x 16's.

1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:54pm
Here are the 7.50's at full stuff.
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:34am
Barry,

Very helpful information, especially the note about turning radius. 

I will try 1" spacers when I temporarily mount them on my 2A, and when I mount the body for the MB Clone project I will give it a little lift. 

What powers your Jeep? 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:51am
Just to add, my 7.00-16s rub the frame and leave spring down to shiney metal after a while, but I dont mind the little bit of rubbing. That and the inside of the rear wheel wells when flexing. Spacers might be a good idea and with that size might not be immediately noticeable.
And I'm sure its affecting the turning radius fractionally, but it's not bad enough to cause an issue in town, so it's good enough 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 29 June 2022 at 9:52am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:56am
I didn't realize there was that much difference in height between the 7.00 and 7.50....looks like a good bit.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:58am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I didn't realize there was that much difference in height between the 7.00 and 7.50....looks like a good bit.
Lol I didnt either, 7.00 fill my jeep out good, but 7.50 is tlstating to look like a monster truck! Seriously though, they do look good on the rocks
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 10:39am
Like I said these tires look huge when I rolled one up against my 2A, which has 6.00 X 16" NDTs on it.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 10:56am
not to fully go off topic here but:

are 7.0x15 the same circumference/diameter/height as 7.0x16?

and does it simply mean there is increased sidewall height?

yes, i understand they are for different rim/wheel sizes. 

Edited by bight - 29 June 2022 at 10:58am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 3:20pm
Grasshopper has the L134 Go Devil, T90A, D18 with Jeff's gears, and 5.38 diffs with Lockrights front and back.  Basically all stock except for Jeff's gears and the lockers plus disk brakes.

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

I think Stan has that size on granpas jeep

Late to the party.
7.00 x 16s on Grampa’s Jeep. They do rub the frame and spring in front. I could probably adjust the turn stops and fix it, but I don’t really care.
They also rub in the rear wheel well when flexed out. 

The 750 x 16s are bigger AND stiffer than the 7.00s. That’s one reason I didn’t go that direction. That and guys with bigger than 7.00 tires and stock drivetrains can’t seem to keep up with me on pavement at highwatpy speeds. The big tires seem to suck up horsepower. 

I shouldn’t talk for Jeff, but I think one of the reasons he cuts/grooves his 7.50 x 16 is to soften them up some. Stiff tires can be a real handicap on the rocks.

Your milage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 9:41am
Hey guys, one other question along this thread.  At what point in going with a bigger tire do you need wider rims?  I’ve been looking into this since seeing what Jeeps with bigger tires can negotiate (I’m running 6.50 x 16’s on a stock 4.5” rims).  I need tires and want to go bigger but wasn’t sure where I would have to shop rims also.  Adding to the dilemma is how difficult it’s getting to find what you want with so many tires out of stock. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 10:03am
You could run 7.00 X 16 on the stock rims, might need spacers on the front to keep them from rubbing the springs.

When I brought my CJ2A home it had 7.50 X 16 Power King Super Traction tires on it. It had Willys truck wheels on front and Ford Truck wheels on back, so wider than CJ wheels. Those tires were rotten beyond use so I only drove it around the yard and back field a few times before replacing the tires with 6.00 X 16 NDTs. The Jeep had been converted to discs up front and Bubba had used about an inch stack of washers on each of the wheel studs for spacers, so I didn't want to drive it much with that mess.  Other work Bubba had done on that Jeep was even more questionable, but what little I drove it with those big rotten tires I didn't notice any problem. 

Barry's pictures show the difference between several sized tires.

Edited by Oldpappy - 30 June 2022 at 10:05am
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

not to fully go off topic here but:

are 7.0x15 the same circumference/diameter/height as 7.0x16?

and does it simply mean there is increased sidewall height?

yes, i understand they are for different rim/wheel sizes. 

A 7:00x15 is much shorter than a 7:00x16, I would say the 15” is about the same height as a 6:00x16 tire… A few years back I ordered a set of 7.00x15” for my 3B thinking they would be the same as a 7.00x16 and was disappointed to find out they are not 😬

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 11:36am
Thanks to everyone for the responses. 

I ordered some spacers and will mount these wheels / tires on my CJ2A so I can drive it around with them before I get to the point of putting slippers on the project Jeep. 

I have also ordered some shackles with a slight lift, and will use CJ5 body mount bushings when I mount the tub to the project. These things should give me clearance enough. I don't do much rock crawling so not so worried about full flex, but as long as I can keep reasonable turning radius the added ground clearance will come in handy crossing the trout streams I fish. 

Once I get the project Jeep going I will put the 6.00 X 16 back on it and probably sell the Jeep. 

I will post before and after pictures of the CJ2A with the wheel swap. 
TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 2:51pm
Barry, that picture with all three tires side by side is awesome. Great way to get a clear comparison!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

....Since I liked the look of them on that Jeep I want to use these on an "MB Clone" project I am starting on.....
Hi Andy, Since you are more focused on looks, I'll comment to that.

I think the 750-16 looks better on a wider wheel. 5" looks better, and 6" better yet. It give the tires a thick "steroid" look other than just being tall and skinny. The down side is that all the width goes to the inside which affects steering and rubbing even more but now that you are getting spacers, that is something to consider.

Originally posted by TJo TJo wrote:

Hey guys, one other question along this thread.  At what point in going with a bigger tire do you need wider rims?  I’ve been looking into this since seeing what Jeeps with bigger tires can negotiate (I’m running 6.50 x 16’s on a stock 4.5” rims).  I need tires and want to go bigger but wasn’t sure where I would have to shop rims also.  Adding to the dilemma is how difficult it’s getting to find what you want with so many tires out of stock. 

The 750-16 fits on a 4.5" wide wheel just fine but I prefer a wider wheel for the reasons mentioned above. If performance is the subject, I have additional opinions but unless asked, I'll stick with looks.

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

....I shouldn’t talk for Jeff, but I think one of the reasons he cuts/grooves his 7.50 x 16 is to soften them up some. Stiff tires can be a real handicap on the rocks.

Your milage may vary.
Initially, I cut the grooves in my tires thinking it would help my off-road performance but after a few years of wheeling I have concluded that if there is a performance increase, it is insignificant or certainly not night and day. There are two reasons that I still do it.

1. Much better performance on the road (rain,snow,ice). I'm confident to drive this jeep in any weather conditions using sensible driving techniques that you would use with any car in bad weather.
2. I think they look cool

I do not think that STA 750-16 NDT tires are stiff. The opposite in fact. MMV
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
TJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 4:04pm
Jeff, I’m more interested in performance after what I saw on the trail with other Jeeps. I know we discussed this in Aurora but anything to add on the performance side of the equation.  I’d really like to stick with my stock rims if I could, just easier all the way around.  Have to admit I was duly impressed with what the taller tire could do and have been thinking about how to strike a balance between what I want to do and what works with what I have. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by TJo TJo wrote:

Jeff, I’m more interested in performance after what I saw on the trail with other Jeeps. I know we discussed this in Aurora but anything to add on the performance side of the equation.  I’d really like to stick with my stock rims if I could, just easier all the way around.  Have to admit I was duly impressed with what the taller tire could do and have been thinking about how to strike a balance between what I want to do and what works with what I have. 

OK. This is on STA 750-16 NDTs aired down.

4.5" inch wide rims: They stay on the bead even under extreme conditions so long as you have tubes in them. When I had tubes, I rarely got a flat on the trail. It was when I drove on the highway with low air pressure that I would get a flat. The problem with the 4.5 rim is that sometimes the tires will fold over instead of squatting with low air pressure. 10psi is not too bad. Maybe 9psi but that's about it. With 5" wheels, this is better and with 6" it is much better.

Tubeless with safety humps:
This is how I run. Tubeless 6" wide. Because my wheels are wider, I air down to 5-6 psi now and my tires squat with very little roll. I rarely pull a tire off the bead and that is only in extreme conditions with high horsepower. I do not feel the need for bead locks and I am very pleased. Gotta be wide though. I have a D30 up front with half inch spacers on each wheel. Since the wheel offset goes to the inside, it helps to make the vehicle not look so wide although clearly my jeep looks wider than stock. Anymore now, I just put maybe 12 psi in my tires and drive wherever. Street, highway, dip a toe in the woods, wherever. If I want to get serious, I air down to 5-6. When I'm finished, go back to 12 psi. It's not for everyone I realize.

There are a lot of variables that go with stiffness/traction. One tire may have a thinner sidewall, but if the side wall folds over instead of squatting, that does you no good. If your wheels are wider, you can potentially air down more and avoid this roll but then you displace your weight more which can be a bad thing. blah, blah, blah, blah,

I have a theory that I have been working on and it goes like this ... There is little difference in the performance of these 29-31" skinny tires. Even when you think you have learned something that works better for you, it is more likely that your experience and skill level with the tire and jeep have improved and this truth is the game changing factor so find the tires that have the look you love and learn to drive on them. .... I could be wrong.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>