Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaing out a dismounted radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaing out a dismounted radiator
    Posted: 28 June 2022 at 5:55pm
CJ2A radiator been out of the Jeep since full teardown for rebuild. Prior to teardown Jeep suffered a blown head gasket.  Radiator looks like it has oil/coolant gunk in it.  What's the best way to clean this build up out?  Really don't want to drop the money on a new replacement at 300+ dollars, other than the build up the radiator seems solid and leak free.  

I was thinking maybe fill with vinegar for a few hours then flush out?  I've had luck with this on nasty motorcycle fuel tanks in the past. 

Thanks for any pointers.
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 9:38pm
I've had good luck with a industrial degreaser then a good rinse. 
after that I use a strong mix of citric acid.  

I personally never used baking soda to neutralize but you could after.
a good rinse again seems to be fine

I have not done a radiator but many rusted parts and gas tanks.
good luck leaving it in for a day, and start with boiling water.

opinions might very, citric acid is not as strong as other things on the market.

I will be doing my radiator soon so I also will watch for suggestions.
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:10pm
I have used "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner in gas tanks. It removed all the crud and rust, but it is acidic so needs to be neutralized afterwards. I have not tried it in a radiator.

There are several good products specifically for flushing a radiator, you may be better off looking into those.

Edited by Oldpappy - 28 June 2022 at 11:11pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:33am
You likely couldn't find a new one anyway. In my cooling issues I found that  the good reproductions at most sources are on backorder.

Not that I was going to buy one (did that a year ago), but just discussing good vs. evil when it comes to sourcing reproduction parts.

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 1:51pm
Thanks everyone.  Id take it to a radiator shop if those still existed around here.   I'll try out some of my motorcycle tank cleaning tricks and go from there.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply