Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tool boxes vs rolls and the 2a under-seat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool boxes vs rolls and the 2a under-seat
    Posted: 01 July 2022 at 11:13am
I am fortunate that my 2a tub has enough floor left that the under seat storage box can be used. What a great feature!

Anyway, I have been evolving my tool control away from boxes toward tool rolls. I own a tree biz and after trying all sorts of tool box variations that would keep vehicle and machine specific tools organized and at hand my conclusion is tool rolls are superior by a wide margin over any carry-on tool box. And I have some really nice carry tool boxes, so it is not lack of quality that has influenced this evolution.

It is faster, more efficient and easier to keep track of tools kept in a tool roll.

Need that box 5/8ths? Right there in the middle. Left it on the exhaust manifold after some earnest wrenching?  Hey, its spot is empty in the tool roll- better check and see where you left it. 

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 8:06pm
My box in the shop is shadowed.  I traced and cut out a place in foam for nearly every tool in it. I know at a glance if everything is put away and usually don’t even have to look to grab what I want. I absolutely hate the tool bag I carry to work on other peoples stuff. I nearly have to dump it out every time I need something from it and no good way to know everything is there when I finish. The only reason I use it is it is small and light and I usually have to carry it quite a ways.  The idea of tool rolls appeals to my sense of organization. Thanks, I am going to have to see what they can hold besides wrenches. 
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

OK.. UM what's with the peanut butter??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 11:18pm
Peanut butter!?!

That is, (probably), Colorado mud. It could be Utah mud. It tastes bad. Do not eat it.
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 10:23am
I have found over the years that tool rolls and canvas bags for sockets and misc. fasteners etc. (I use klein) are the best for keeping in a vehicle.  I have an old craftsmen plastic tool box that I can throw in my truck and pretty much do any repair including an engine swap with but you are always digging through to find tools.  At home is a different story I have several snap on roll aways that show my hidden OCD problems.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 10:24am
I love the idea of a tool roll I have never found one that came even close to doing what one would need for my on board tool kit. Instead I use a Nylon tool bag my Dewalt electric screw driver kit came in. Its about 1/3 to 1/2 bigger then old school shaving kit. It allows me to mold it to fit in the tool box in between various other equipment and spares. granted its not as Organized and a roll and does nothing to help me know if I left a tool on a tire. But then I am pretty good about keeping track of my tools.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 8:51am
I really like canvas tool rolls.

With that comes one small issue with canvas tool rolls.  If they get wet and for whatever reason, they don't get fully dried out the tools will rust.

Short Story from June/ July 2022:

Three weeks ago I got caught is huge thunder storm shuttling equipment.  It poured for about 4 hours - we got 2 plus inches of rain.   The CJ2A was parked in the open for a few hours, before I could it trailered back to the farm.  It rained heavy during transport also.  My tool rolls were stowed in good military water proof bags tucked under the rear seat, so I assumed they would be dry. 

Fast forward to two days ago.  I needed a wrench from one of the tool rolls.  - Two of the three tools rolls were wet and some of the tools had surface rust with canvas patters.  Bummer.  I have cleaned them up but they are not the same.

Edited by Stev - 15 July 2022 at 8:52am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 10:37am
Give the rusted tools a soaking in Evaporust. 
  Works great. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 11:13am
2 jeeps, M38 and 3A. 2 basic rolls set up for the unique needs of each jeep. always at the ready if I need that 1/2" open end wrench. they ride well there in the depression between grille and radiator.
Joined Jan-8 2015
OD Mule 01-52 M38
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 11:34am
I'm another tool roll user.  That started with a 1960 Benz 190Db and it's factory version back in the early 70's.  Not only do they maintain the tools better and make them more readily accessible, they can fit all sorts of places rigid boxes will not.  And no rattles, not that one would notice that in most flat fenders.  I hate ammo cans.  My 3B sports a couple of the old Benz rolls along with a more modern Bucket Boss version.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 1:05pm
How about a combination of both?Big smile

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 1:28pm
Thumbs Up Clap..... that is verrrry nice.. Good job!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 1:49pm
Tim, can I borrow your jeep? I want to add some character. The mud/dirt variety. Since you are a valued member here, no charge.

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 2:44pm
Hey Muley, same place I keep my tool rolls. Only problem they get so hot I have to wait a half hour before I can use

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 3:19pm
That's a good spot I never would have thought of using, and handy. Tailor made for the use of a tool roll. Clap

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I love the idea of a tool roll I have never found one that came even close to doing what one would need for my on board tool kit. Instead I use a Nylon tool bag my Dewalt electric screw driver kit came in. Its about 1/3 to 1/2 bigger then old school shaving kit. It allows me to mold it to fit in the tool box in between various other equipment and spares. granted its not as Organized and a roll and does nothing to help me know if I left a tool on a tire. But then I am pretty good about keeping track of my tools.
This is pretty much the route I go.  Not rolls or boxes, but bags.  There are tons of tool bag options at the various big box home improvement stores and if you're on a tight budget a trip to your local goodwill could hook you up with multiple bags for less than 20 dollars. 

Edited by Downs - 15 July 2022 at 4:25pm
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 12:02am
That's where I keep my burritos, Muley!  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

That's where I keep my burritos, Muley!  

Priorities Man!
Joined Jan-8 2015
OD Mule 01-52 M38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>