Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carter carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter carb
    Posted: 03 July 2022 at 7:58am
Hello all,

Coming to another question. I’m restoring a spare Carter WO and wonder what I have in front of me. Unfortunately I don’t have an idea, how to post a pic on this forum, so I try to describe.

The question is about the iron base part. It has a number embossed I-458. If I look at the side where the idle air screw goes in, I have - from left to right - the angled threaded hole for the idle air screw, the brass plug and then I have another threaded hole besides it. What is this for. On all the other bases I see no opening here …

Can somebody help me out here?

Thanks
Klaus
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 8:09am
Without a pic I’d guess a vacuum advance ported application
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 8:51am
I have trouble posting pictures in this forum too. In the area just above where you type there are 2 rows of icons. About mid way across the top row is a tiny picture of a tree. That tree is the link to attaching a picture to a post. On that page you have to select “choose file”. You can either take a picture or load one from the device you are using. “Upload” then “okay”. Sometimes it works and sometimes it gives me “Error inserting object in current location”. I usually reduce the size of the picture. My phone lets me choose small, medium, large or actual. I usually opt for medium which brings the image size down to 100kb. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 9:11am
try being VERY patient after you hit each button. and wait until you see the result. it seems to help.

also read forum how to's postings such as:

and this:

Edited by bight - 03 July 2022 at 11:18am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 11:42am
  I agree. Probably a ported vacuum port for distributor vacuum advance. 

If I can post pictures here, anybody can. It’s a bit of a pain and takes some time, but it’s not that hard. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 3:04pm
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 3:04pm
So picture worked ….

Do you see the additional hole. Can I simply close it?

Best
Klaus
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 3:18pm
  Yes. It’s pipe thread, just put a pipe plug (1/8” pipe, I think) in it. A touch of Permatex #2 wouldn’t hurt. It doesn’t need to be terribly tight. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:20pm
Thanks guys,

Here’s the next. I got the master rebuild kit from Walck’s…. And have this little puppy left. Anyone has an idea which jet I overlooked …?

Trying to add the picture with the next post …
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:21pm
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply