Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple Thing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple Thing
    Posted: 04 July 2022 at 7:40pm
I just finished going through a D18 Transfer case I intend to install in my CJ2A. The thing was leaking badly around the oil pan. This unit was supposedly rebuilt by a reputable builder but he missed one simple thing. 

The cover was leaking badly on the forward edge. I found that there was a pronounced bend / divot where one of the bolts had been torqued down too much, a common thing when one of these things leaks, but since this was a "rebuilt" unit I was surprised to find such a rookie mistake.

Whenever one is installing a sheetmetal cover such as this attention is needed to make sure the gasket surface is not compromised.

It is so easy to fix this, I was hesitant to post anything about it, but again I was surprised to find this on a unit supposedly rebuilt.

The first picture shows the divot, the second shows how easy it was to fix. I just used the closest available straight piece of iron which happened to be the draw bar on another Jeep. Flattened the divot, and the cover won't leak now. Such a simple thing, I am surprised that the guy who rebuilt this uint didn't take care of it.

Edited by Oldpappy - 04 July 2022 at 7:46pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:19pm
When I removed my oil pan for the first time, before anything else I hammered it flat, as it was on too tight and leaking some. Of course that was after I had read about the issues of overtorquing the bolts. Interesting that something simple was overlooked, however I do hope that is the only thing.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 11:01pm
The rest of it seems fine. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply