Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was this Hydraulic pump a CJ2A thing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was this Hydraulic pump a CJ2A thing
    Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:01pm
it was mentioned to me that this pump was part of a CJ2A farm implement but I cant find any detail.  This was on my ‘46 for the snowplow.  Was it used for any other accessories other than a plow?  It replaces the oil filter mount and doesnt seem to be bubba-built. 

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:04pm
Another pix

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:08pm
I believe it was. 

Barry at FarmJeep.com should be able to verify.

I just passed thru Providence 3 hours ago...
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 6:25am
It is very possible that the Jeep could have been equipped with a hydraulic implement lift of some sort.
I can't read the pump tag and I don't recognize the pump bracket.  Since this is just the pump, I'm assuming there is/was a reservoir and control valve in the engine bay or between the seats that would have controlled the plow movement.  Sometimes people would plumb the control valve to work a front snow plow and a rear implement lift.

I would like to see a close-up of the tag and a picture of the reservoir and valve if it still exists. 
Barry T
https://www.farmjeep.com/
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:14am
It really does look it would sit where the oil filter bracket usually sits on the head, and that the oil canister would bolt to the side.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:56am
I have that same pump setup on my 47 2A. You are correct that the pump bracket attaches to head. The reservoir is on the fender where the voltage regulator would mount. The VR is then mounted to the reservoir. My pump runs a Newgren lift. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 12:09pm
Here is a picture of the pump from a 1947 Popular Science article on the Love/Newgren lift.

Joe, is the control valve handle under or through the dash?  I've never seen an early version installed.  Do you have a picture.

Also, Keith uncovered a service bulletin that dates the move from the belt pump to the crankshaft driven pump. https://www.farmjeep.com/newgren-service-bulletins-may-1947/   There is also a serial number range and it would be great if you could check it against your lift.

Thanks,
Barry T

sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 1:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 1:26pm
Pump my love lift came with

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 1:28pm
Control block and oil tank mounted on lift itself. Not the best idea, IMO.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 5:16pm
Great photo of the the LOVE HYDRAULIC LIFT-HITCH (https://www.farmjeep.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Love-Hydraulic-LIFT-HITCH.pdf).  I'm learning to differentiate the two Love designed hitches, rather than use the term Love Lift..  The OP's and Joe's pumps are from the LOVE HYDRAULIC LIFT SYSTEM, that quickly became the Newgren Lift.  Two different lifts.

Barry T
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 8:04pm
The controls, resorvoir and plow were removed looong ago and I doubt the jeep saw farm action. But it plowed a lot of snow until it plowed into an immovable object and was sidelined for decades.  When I got it the pump was still on the engine and the plow lift was welded to the frame and had runners that connected to the draw bar.
Barry - Here’s a better pix of the ID tag.  And Joe Friday, I’m about 20 min off 95 so stop by.  
Thanks for all the input.

Edited by Tom in RI - 06 July 2022 at 6:35am
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 8:24pm
Tom in RI Thanks for the picture.  Another data point.  The pump used on the Newgren (crankshaft), Monroe and Stratton were all the same for over two decades.  Every little detail helps.

Barry T
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 9:26pm
Mine was real similar on my 48 with a Monroe 3point lift and western plow.
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 6:21am
Do the lift and snow plow share the same control valve?  It appears that there are two return lines to the reservoir, both from the rear of the Jeep.  Interesting plumbing.  I would like to see more pictures.

Thanks,
Barry T 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 8:40am
I can't find a picture of the valving. It was mounted between the seats. The snow plow was power angle. I believe the pressure line from pump went to a 2 spool valve.1 return was from that valve. Then the hose to raise the plow went to a small diverter valve.1 hose from it went to plow lift and 1 went to 3 point lift. The other return hose came from the 3 point lift. I've restored the Jeep but haven't put any hydraulics, plow or 3point back on it yet.  The PO had done a lot of body and frame damage using the 3 point. They had a 1/2"steel plate covering the whole bed floor and extending up between the seats where the valves were mounted. I think I have a picture of that.
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 8:48am
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 8:53am

Edited by DesertDog48 - 08 July 2022 at 8:56am
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>