Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walck's vs KW Radiator: Same?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 11:13am
I know for a fact that the EPA will look at ALL prior owners to recover remediation costs and fines.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 11:47am
5 or 6 years ago I paid $300 to have my heater core re-cored as well. At the time I thought it was highway robbery, but paid it anyway. Detroit Radiator did it. Now I can brag to my friends what a deal it was. Maybe I'll get it chrome plated. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:25pm
A friend of mine in the G503 forums tried to put an aluminum one in his MB.   It didn't fit very well.  He bought it on Amazon.   Sent it back and they didn't hassle the return, so that part sounds good if you don't want it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

A friend of mine in the G503 forums tried to put an aluminum one in his MB.   It didn't fit very well.  He bought it on Amazon.   Sent it back and they didn't hassle the return, so that part sounds good if you don't want it.

To get my CJ on the road and not break the bank I've gone with AKoller's suggestion and ordered the aluminum unit from Vintage Jeeper. Should be here next week. 

46 CJ-2A
59 Wagon
"it's not hoarding if it's old jeeps"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 2:12am
Good luck with it!   Maybe it's a different source, or maybe the 2a versions fit better.   Please let us know what you think!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 3:47pm
I saw a new repop on Facebook someone didn’t need for 300 this weekend 
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 6:51pm
I have a Walck's radiator.  It is a perfect fit and seems to have all the correct copper\brass construction.  So, on paper it should be perfect.

But anyone who has seen the "Still chasing high temperatures" thread I wrote knows I have more hours in chasing 200+ temps than I'd wish on my worst enemy.

After going through everything from tire pressure, timing, leaking head gasket, leaking intake manifold, switching to Evans coolant, 4 thermostats (don't ask why), water pump inspection, 4 full system flushes, a switch to Evans coolant, and a full carb rebuild by Scoutpilot, I am still seeing temps around 205 when doing anything over 30 mph.

While all of these things made slight or big improvements (the carb rebuild helping the most because I think it was leaning out at higher speeds) I no longer have confidence in the radiator.

That doesn't mean that what Carl is selling is bad.  In fact I believe it to be the best version that side-by-side looks identical to the original.  I may just have a bad one.  The flow is very good on it, but I am not a radiator guy and don't know if it is flowing too fast, not using all of the cores, etc.

So, I have a fork in the road.  Drive it under 40 forever, or spring for a different radiator.

I will not spend $600+ on the exact same thing that I have.  If Carl was willing to swap me for a different one I would certainly try that.  But I am also considering these as an options, even if it is just to locate the issue.  I know they don't have felt or shroud mounts, but my issues are are higher speeds where the fan is less consequential.  This would at least help me locate the issue.

or

It looks nothing like the original, but the pipes are bent the right directions, and it seems to have good reviews and details about its construction.  At this point I would pay a stranger on the street $180 to tell me if my radiator is the culprit.  So, if this would prove or disprove that, I am willing to roll the dice.  If it is the issue, then I can likely work with Carl on a swap.  He has been great with everything I have needed for my restoration and stands behind his parts.

Edited by jgodfrey - 09 Aug. 2022 at 7:01pm
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by jgodfrey jgodfrey wrote:

I have a Walck's radiator.  It is a perfect fit and seems to have all the correct copper\brass construction.  So, on paper it should be perfect.

But anyone who has seen the "Still chasing high temperatures" thread I wrote knows I have more hours in chasing 200+ temps than I'd wish on my worst enemy.

After going through everything from tire pressure, timing, leaking head gasket, leaking intake manifold, switching to Evans coolant, 4 thermostats (don't ask why), water pump inspection, 4 full system flushes, a switch to Evans coolant, and a full carb rebuild by Scoutpilot, I am still seeing temps around 205 when doing anything over 30 mph.

While all of these things made slight or big improvements (the carb rebuild helping the most because I think it was leaning out at higher speeds) I no longer have confidence in the radiator.

That doesn't mean that what Carl is selling is bad.  In fact I believe it to be the best version that side-by-side looks identical to the original.  I may just have a bad one.  The flow is very good on it, but I am not a radiator guy and don't know if it is flowing too fast, not using all of the cores, etc.

So, I have a fork in the road.  Drive it under 40 forever, or spring for a different radiator.

I will not spend $600+ on the exact same thing that I have.  If Carl was willing to swap me for a different one I would certainly try that.  But I am also considering these as an options, even if it is just to locate the issue.  I know they don't have felt or shroud mounts, but my issues are are higher speeds where the fan is less consequential.  This would at least help me locate the issue.

or

It looks nothing like the original, but the pipes are bent the right directions, and it seems to have good reviews and details about its construction.  At this point I would pay a stranger on the street $180 to tell me if my radiator is the culprit.  So, if this would prove or disprove that, I am willing to roll the dice.  If it is the issue, then I can likely work with Carl on a swap.  He has been great with everything I have needed for my restoration and stands behind his parts.

Carl can't even get the one you have until later this fall, possibly first of the year. He has ordered a lot because he suspects they may may not be available after this shipment. After considering spending $1,000 re-coring my old one, waiting for a $600+ "correct" one, or punting and getting the all aluminum  that will get me on the road---I went with the all aluminum. It's installed but I'm not up and running quite yet so I can't comment on the performance. Mine is from Sal at Vintage Jeeper and ran $257, looks very similar to the ones you posted links to. 

https://vintagejeeper.com/products-%26-services/ols/products/1945-1949-willys-aluminum-3-core-radiator
46 CJ-2A
59 Wagon
"it's not hoarding if it's old jeeps"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 9:10pm
Okay. What have you done as far as timing?
Mike in AZ
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 10:39am
I bought the cheepo Omix radiator and have been pretty happy with the performance. There are some fit issues that you have to be ok with. 
Here's a thread I wrote comparing the Omix to the original.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12