Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatfenders in Colorado High Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatfenders in Colorado High Country
    Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 11:12pm
Hey Jeff, remember when I got stuck on the wall in my Cherokee back in 2018?  I have fond memories of that trip.  It would be fun to go again, but this time in a 2a!

Edited by BradR - 04 Aug. 2022 at 11:13pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:57am
I forgot to mention that there used to be a kinda cool obstacle that you could do right before the summit of Black Bear. You can see it at the 2:33 mark of this video:

... sometime either this year or last, they put a culvert in there and now its just a smooth road.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 7:29am
As always .Stan, an excellent video 👍🏽 I much prefer the phone in hand video’s over a go pro, as it adds much character to the product 👌😎 I use my iPad and the bigger size keeps the fingers out of the way 😂 I may be out that way in a few weeks so your adding much pre-trip excitement 😬

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 7:29am
As always .Stan, an excellent video 👍🏽 I much prefer the phone in hand video’s over a go pro, as it adds much character to the product 👌😎 I use my iPad and the bigger size keeps the fingers out of the way 😂 I may be out that way in a few weeks so your adding much pre-trip excitement 😬

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 1:18am
Here's a video of Imogen and Yankee Boy. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

Yes rocnroll my seats were imported from the south.

LOLLOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2022 at 7:38pm
This was a great trip!! I always enjoy wheeling with bambam and grandpa's jeep, they always have youtube groupies asking them questions and wanting their picture. Hanging out with Nivrat was nice, sitting around the fire, having deep conversations about jeeps and all its drive train configurations.

sparky13, the yellowish jeep named "ymra su" drive train is a 231/t18/d18 with rancho springs and 30/9.5 tires.

Yes rocnroll my seats were imported from the south.
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2022 at 11:49am
Looks like there was fun had by all!  What year is the yellow jeep? What for drivetrain is in the Yellow Jeep?  What for other modifications does this Jeep have? Lift height, tire size, lockers front and rear? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 10:00pm
Here is a short video of us playing on the “Wall” at Poughkeepsie Gulch:

... and here is a video of our trip on Friday that goes from Marble, CO through the town of Crystal, up and down Schofield Pass, and loop back to Marble via Lead King Basin. If you read the description in the YouTube video, you will see time stamp links to get to certain highlights. There is even video footage of the black bear we saw on Lead King Basin Trail. Enjoy:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 9:45pm
Now I see what's going on .... leave the kids with Grandma (me) and go have fun in the jeep.  
Grandmas like to have fun too!  
It looks like great trails (if a little slippery) and a good time was had by all.  Even Grandma.

Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 7:07pm
I've encountered black bears on a couple of occasions up in the woods riding motorcycles. One of them was on the trail and he took off running ahead of me. I didn't know what to do! pass him? It bailed off into the brush after a while and then I put lots of distance between the bear and I! 

Great vids though, thanks for posting.

Edited by otto - 31 July 2022 at 7:08pm
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 6:39pm
Thanks for sharing the videos and photos.  Looks like it was a great trip!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 3:34pm
Here is a short video of the Black Bear that we saw on Lead King Basin:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

CJ2A60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 12:51pm
Thanks again for sharing these.

My father did his infantry basic training in Ft. Carson, Co., during the early days of the Korean War (36th Infantry Division). Very few in our family had ever set eyes on the Rockies before, but for Dad and his slightly older uncles and cousins who had seen them during mountain training in WW2/Korea, it was a revelation.

Uncle Sam taught Dad how to safely drive a Jeep and camp in those mountains, and he excelled at both the rest of his life.

Later Dad bought a house in Creede near the seven mile bridge. He mistrusted Jeeps; he thought they were unreliable. Instead he preferred Broncos after they became available and I still have his. Few people knew those roads as well as he did, and his boyhood as a farmer gave him a very sensitive and reliable sense of the weather. By 1970 Dad had been diving and camping in the San Juans for twenty years, and it was not unusual to hear the Park Rangers ask Dad's advice about road conditions and weather.

I won't bore you with stories here, but suffice it to say that those mountains were a very different place in the 1960s, with only about ten percent as many tourists present in the summer in those days. Through Dad I met so many of the World War One generation whose parents had been among the first generation of non-native Americans to settle the ranches in the more remote places in those mountains; that was a real privilege!

Dad left Creede about 1990 but moved only as far as Durango. He kept up camping and fishing in the true high country until the early years of this century; but by 2005 or so he could no longer run the really rough roads. Alas, my years of having one of the most competent off-road drivers in Southern Colorado as my personal guide were over. Your video and photos bring back those days so vividly for me. So, I am really sincere with the profuse thanks!
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 11:29am
Great fun and great photos. Thank you for sharing. 
I hope one day not too far off I can get my trail ‘48 back on the trail and have these adventures.
Keep ‘em running.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 10:59am
Very scenic shots, glad they could fix your phone, that can be a bummer.

(Uh, those seats in Wade's jeep.....they have a familiar quality to them.) Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 9:58am
Here are some campers playing at a waterfall on the Lead King Basin trail:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 8:48am
We did come across one “super hero” on Imogene!

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>