Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Start of a ressurection 48 CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2022 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

The ring and pinion ratio won't be 2.73:1.  

Not enough oomph there for that.

Maybe in low range...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2022 at 5:32pm
  If you jack up only one rear wheel, due to the action of the differential, you will have to count driveshaft turns for TWO revolutions of the wheel. If you’re getting approximately 2.7 revolutions for ONE turn of the wheel, TWO turns would give approximately 5.4 revolutions, not far off from 5.375. 
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SimonsWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2022 at 5:37pm
Was just babbling.. nothing important. cant find a delete button.. will look further into it once back home at a desktop computer.. might be a phone thing. Clear form gives me a codec error for blank message.

Edited by SimonsWilly - 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2022 at 5:39pm
Thanks! So i was missing a crucial step.. its been quite a few years since i last did that method..
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by SimonsWilly SimonsWilly wrote:

....  Any input how to stop this 90* rotation? Or i guess i need to start taking sideways pics..

You are probably taking pictures on a phone or tablet?  Phones and tablets know which way you are holding them and rotate the picture to be vertical.  Computers and bulletin boards don't, so they just put them up as they received them.  So it isn't that the pictures are being rotated when you post them.  It's that they aren't.

You might be able to figure out which way to hold your phone so the picture doesn't need to be rotated.  Otherwise you can load the picture onto a computer, rotate it to be correct and post from there.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 3:16pm
Update: Had to chase a grounding issue for a hour or two, not sure which one I cleaned that did the trick but got spark and made some boom booms off starting fluid!
Went to add fuel and theres more then a few holes in the tank so found a temp bottle to add to soft fuel line to see the carbs state.. waiting for fuel on exhaust system to dry for now before anymore explosions are made.

Found a coolant leak though..

Is there just some orings on the shaft that i can replace to stop this coolant leak? Whats this hole for in bottom of water pump anyways? Is it like dogdes (i think) or chryslers for early warning sign of pump failure with 1 seal gone and second is about to go? Granted those are tiny weep holes and not a big hole more for a tool to fit in.. Dont plan on driving much this go around so dont necessarily need it fixed if carb is good without opening it at all. More so of just moving it out of way for the winter until i return in the spring to pick it up. 

Edited by SimonsWilly - 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:20pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:11pm

Was just babbling.. nothing important. cant find a delete button..

You can edit your own posts, up to and including deleting them. Click on the "Post Options" above your post & then click on the "Edit" icon, or the "Delete" icon below that.

PS. Edited to clarify the instructions on how to get to the edit option. 

Edited by cpt logger - 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:42pm
Not seeing a "post options" at all.. might be a phone thing. Using chrome for what thats worth. But i know phones tend to limilt options over desktop.
Only have edit,quote and reply above my posts..

Edited by SimonsWilly - 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:45pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 4:47pm
Just in case it is not clear, you have an L-134 engine. The "L" engine has a flat head with both valves in the block. The "F" engine has the intake valves in the head & the exhaust valves still in the block.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 5:18pm
Scroll all the way to the bottom .....ALL the WAY.

You will see View In....Mobile or Classic

Click on Classic and see if it changes anything....most like the Classic View a little better. And I'm thinking it will change your edit options.....( there should be a little gear icon for Post Options)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 5:57pm
Thanks! That did the trick for any unquoted or replied posts. But it doesnt give the delete option for the initial babbling post.. either way deleting it now would make the replies incoherent so they can stay for all i care. Or more for others who may want to learn the ins n outs of this forum.

Love your tag line by the way. I use it way too often since learning it as a preteen..
Or as i say it " common sense aint common" and equally used as often: "half of everybody is below average.."

Edited by SimonsWilly - 06 Aug. 2022 at 5:58pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 6:30pm
Weep hole, pump seals gone, cure is rebuild or new pump.
BOULDER 48 2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 6:57pm

Thanks! That did the trick for any unquoted or replied posts. But it doesnt give the delete option for the initial babbling post.. either way deleting it now would make the replies incoherent so they can stay for all i care. Or more for others who may want to learn the ins n outs of this forum.

That is a good point. The deletion of a post has to be made BEFORE it is replied to. Once it has been replied to, the only way is to just edit it by going to EDIT then just backspacing out (erasing, in the old daysLOL) all of or part of the post you want to.

If it has been replied to though, the post will remain.....it'll just be blank. Not sure on this but used to be when all of the body of the post was edited out, there has to be one character placed for the edit to take place. That's why you may run across a thread that has a post that simply has an emoticon or a period in the body.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 12:03pm
Which way does the bellcrank steering mount tapered lock pin go in/out? Towards driver or passenger side? Its a bit siezed and soaking in pb blaster atm and ive hit it both ways to try and loosen it but would love to know which direction to truely give er some good BFH whacks on. Its currently flat with mount on driver and about a 1/4" in on passenger side but that doesnt tell me much of anything really.. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonsWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 12:35pm
Got the pneumatic hammer out. It goes to driver side.
Or atleast mine did. Come to think of it the slot might not be tapered at all and so the key could potentially go in either way on install..

Edited by SimonsWilly - 07 Aug. 2022 at 2:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123