Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot rod nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer
    Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 8:31pm
What size trailer do I need for my CJ2a and weight load?
Just another day in Paradise 1948 cj2a 1956 Chevy, 39 ford
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 8:48pm
Do you want a trailer to tow behind the 2a, or one to trailer the 2a on?
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 10:18pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
hot rod nut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot rod nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 3:32pm
To carry the cj2a on. thanks
Just another day in Paradise 1948 cj2a 1956 Chevy, 39 ford
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 3:44pm
12 foot is the minimum, 14 is comfortable (for both you and the jeep), 16 is good if you ever want to carry something else. Twin axles are a real plus over singles (a flat doesn't kill you). Aluminum is very good if you are towing with something with lower tow ratings (your jeep and a 14 foot aluminum trailer equals under 3500 pounds). Electric brakes with the associated brake controller in your vehicle are advised if you tow in hilly/mountainous terrain (actually considered essential no matter where you tow).
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 5:50pm
Gotta be careful and plan far ahead if going without trailer brakes. I have been towing an 18’ dovetail for over a decade with an F150 and no trailer brakes. A buddy gave me a controller about 10 years ago but I just never got around to installing it. Not bad unless something unexpected happens… but no one ever pulls out in front of you or decides to stop hard to make a turn that, in reality, they already missed… right?!?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

12 foot is the minimum, 14 is comfortable (for both you and the jeep), 16 is good if you ever want to carry something else. Twin axles are a real plus over singles (a flat doesn't kill you). Aluminum is very good if you are towing with something with lower tow ratings (your jeep and a 14 foot aluminum trailer equals under 3500 pounds). Electric brakes with the associated brake controller in your vehicle are advised if you tow in hilly/mountainous terrain (actually considered essential no matter where you tow).

X2...especially the electric brakes! You actually feel like you have control over what is pushing behind you and it saves wear and tear on the tow vehicle brakes.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 8:24pm
Check with state DMV to see if there are requirements.  Some states may require brakes.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 9:13pm
Brakes required by law will be determined by gross weight. I have never seen a 12’ trailer with brakes except a dump trailer. The garden variety 12’ lawnmower trailer will not come with them. Small boat trailers for aluminum fishing boats don’t have them but move up to an 18’ fiberglass bass boat and the trailer will likely have brakes. Trailer brakes will also have a break away safety that is to be connected to the tow vehicle independently of the safety chains. 

A person also needs to be aware of the tie down requirements. Some states require all four corners to be tied independently. It’s not always good enough to throw one strap or chain across the trailer to catch the front or rear bumper or springs. 

Of course, everyone does everything they are supposed to every time they connect to a trailer to include installing the safety pin in the hitch and checking the lights work. No one would consider towing anything that exceeds the trailer’s load or vehicle’s rated towing capacity.  

Speaking of capacity and not worth mentioning unless looking to get away with spending as little money as possible, if you buy a trailer with a 3,000 pound axle, 3,000 pounds includes the weight of the trailer. I bought my dovetail to haul a CJ3A home from work one year (work was 550 miles from home). If I remember correctly, it’s rated capacity exceeds the F150’s towing capacity by a good margin. I don’t pay much attention to that on short hauls but I don’t want to ruin my transmission so I do pay attention if I am leaving the area. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 10:34pm
[QUOTE=Jeff J]... I have never seen a 12’ trailer with brakes except a dump trailer... 

I know of two within 100 yards of me right now. Mine and my neighbors. Our state require brakes on all axles if  over 3000lbs gross weight (I believe). My 12' is a 10k trailer, my neighbors a 5k. Both have ebrakes. I think its great utility trailers sold here come equipped with ebrakes as standard.
But then there are those folks that swear they are fine no trailer brakes, always have been fine, and nothing will change their minds to spend another penny on a trailer if they can get one without them. 

Hauling a vehicle even as light as a 2a on a trailer without brakes is ill-advised I think.  If you go anyplace with mountains it is irresponsible.

This has been beat to death but here it is again- getting by is not a great way to operate when your load and what happens to it if you cannot stop can impact others on the highway or back road.

Want to haul a 2000lb jeep? Get brakes on your trailer. It really is the responsible thing to do in my opinion.

I haul everyday from my little jeep to 12,000 lb machinery using both bumper pull, 5th wheel and goosenecks and....

stuff happens and of you cannot stop the load because you cheaped out on trailer axles, its on you.

Just sayin

Edited by jhg - 07 Aug. 2022 at 11:28pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 10:43pm
It's pretty easy to put brakes on, I put them on my 16 foot utility trailer. A brake controller will be needed of course. My 2011 GMC had the pre-wired harness in place; a lot of newer trucks have a controller also.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 12:47am
I believe Colorado requires brakes on all trailer axles.
BOULDER 48 2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 12:59am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Pretty much.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 8:17am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

That's what I was told as a Kansas flatlander, so that is what I specified when I ordered my 16 foot tandem axle trailer. Not sorry I did. Coming down the mountain passes in Colorado can be a little exciting at times and the presence of trailer brakes on both axles is reassuring.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 08 Aug. 2022 at 8:22am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 8:52am
By no means am I advocating running without trailer brakes. I have been towing a lot of boats lately. 19-21 foot ski boats and 22-27 foot pontoon boats. Someone disabled the brakes one of the pontoon boat trailers. They are surge brakes and it is the only trailer that doesn’t have an electric release solenoid connected to the reverse lights.  My guess is they couldn’t back the trailer up because the wheels kept locking. I can certainly tell the difference when I pass through town where other drivers do all kinds of unexpected things. Overall I do prefer electric brakes because I have control of the braking but surge brakes actually do more good in the hills than electric brakes. If the trailer starts pushing the tow vehicle the brakes are automatically applied in proportion to what is happening. 
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 11:13am
Jeff J - Good point about the surge brakes. I didn't think about the fact that electric brakes only work when you put your foot on the brake pedal. My Dad has a great story about pulling a trailer full of rations through the Alps behind an empty duece and a half, on a snowy night, with no trailer brakes, when he was 19. His best near death experience story. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 3:05pm
Agreed about brakes. Depends a little bit on the prime mover, but uhaul's car trailer worked ok behind my GMC Sierra 1500. Did it once with a Honda Pilot, but it was a little dicey. I haul with a 10k Belmont tandem, brakes both axles, and it is SO MUCH nicer. No white knuckles!
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply