Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of fuel do you put in your cj2a?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 8:27am
E-10 is only a problem if let sit for too long. I had no choice in one area and used it in my boat. The last year I worked that area I filled in April and didn’t need fuel again for a year. I had problems getting it running again. The anti-syphon valve had sealed itself shut with what I have come to recognize after rebuilding a couple of aircraft carburetors whose owners were running E-10 as alcohol slime. Anyway, nothing in the engine seems to have been affected and boat ran great after cleaning up the valve. 

I have been running avgas in my Ford 3400 tractor as well. I would put a little in any engine I wasn’t sure had hardened valve seats. Doesn’t take much. Maybe throw a gallon in every tank or fill up with it once in 4 or 5 tanks. 
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 8:40am
Is there any additive (sea foam,etc) that can be added to break up the ethanol globs if ethanol is the only thing available? I run non ethanol in everything but thought for others it might be a good question.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:12am
Since the following is the most common avfuel available that you avgas junkies are using, 100LL (or 100vLL) avgas?  The first has the lead equivalent to auto fuel early 1970's, the latter is very low lead.

Anyway, correct me if necessary, but higher octane fuel, besides other differences from lower octane, has a longer duration of ignition than low octane.
I believe I noticed a difference in how my 1980's 350 v8 pulled hills using premium fuel. It just seemed to have, wait for it, more power.
I went back to running a tank of low octane and there was a difference in how well it climbed hills. Weird science? That was my experience.

I agree with those pointing out the go devil would not see that when using high octane fuels. Different design era and criteria over a modern V8.

Edited by jhg - 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:30am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:22am
Alcohol fuel decreases your power output as compared to gasoline.
And yes a 10% mixture will be unnoticeable unless you check your
MPG. 
The bigger issue for many is the fact that alcohol can and will  destroy rubber parts inside OEM and NOS carburetors and especially the old accelerator pump cups and fuel pump diaphragms.
I have no experience with available new replacement carb kits and fuel pumps.

Edited by oldtime - 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:25am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 10:12am
Alcohol also draws moisture from the air and can increase corrosion issues. Aluminum seems especially susceptible. 

I should have added to my previous post that I do not know what the alcohol slime is. Probably the additives used in the fuel or a byproduct of the alcohol separating from the gas. It looked like someone had blew their nose in the carburetor bowls. I don’t know of any way to undo it. Drain and flush is the only way I know to fix alcohol separating from the gas. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 11:39am
Ethanol has 60% the power of gasoline so E10 has 4% less available BTUs then gasoline
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12