Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone tow their  jeep in a U-haul Utility trailer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tow their jeep in a U-haul Utility trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callmedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tow their jeep in a U-haul Utility trailer
    Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 2:30pm
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has used a 6x12 uhaul utility trailer to tow their jeeps? It seems like it will fit and it is a lot cheaper then the auto transport. 
Photos would be appreciated. 

Edited by Callmedave - 08 Aug. 2022 at 3:10pm
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 2:44pm
Deleted 

Edited by jeeper50 - 16 Aug. 2022 at 2:29pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 2:45pm
I have seen this done. I was going to rent one a few years ago but the trailer was the older version trailer. There were supports at the entrance of the trailer ramp that did not allow the jeep to fit. I would just measure your Jeep clearance and trailer clearance to be sure all is well. I think the newer trailers would be okay. Hope this helps.

The one pictured is what I believe you are referring too. Make sure you get the one with a ramp. You can see the support wings in this picture. 

6 x 12 Utility Trailer With Ramp

Edited by tumbleweed - 08 Aug. 2022 at 2:49pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 3:00pm
Yup, my cj2a fit fine. Trailer tires were old and rumbled a bunch. But, got us through a 200 mile haul just fine. Now I use an 18' Belmont tandem axle to haul old Snakeskin around though.  MUCH nicer hauler
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 3:04pm
Utility trailer makes me think it’s just a single axle? If so it’s probably not enough. These jeeps are light but not quite that light. 

I don’t have a trailer for mine but I’ve measured my 4 horse gooseneck horse trailer and it’s wide enough for my jeep to fit. I’m contemplating giving it a try. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 3:59pm
I used the U-Haul 6x12’ to haul my jeep. It did fine, but there’s not much to tie it down to. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 6:05pm
I thought I heard one time they won't rent their utility line for auto transport, but that may or may not be the case.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I thought I heard one time they won't rent their utility line for auto transport, but that may or may not be the case.

IDK if that is true in your area, but here in Western Colorado they rent their utility line for auto transport.

You have to let them hook the trailer to your tow rig. Since I do not trust some random kid to do this job well, I watch them & then I double check them. I have caught mistakes being made by their kids two out of the two times I used this service. Always double check the connection & the safety chains!

IMHO, Their trailers are a little light, but they get the job done. I would hesitate to use them on rough roads, but on blacktop they are fine. X2 on the lack of hefty tie downs.

The tailgates on these trailers are a bit narrow, they will allow a CJ-2a on the trailer, but not my Willys wagon. It is about 1.5" too narrow. The front hubs hit on the tailgate braces, or as some call them, the ramp supports. In any case, a backhoe was needed to load & unload the wagon. Blocking might have worked, but we had the backhoes readily available.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Callmedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callmedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 7:07pm
This community rocks. Thanks for the help so far. Sounds like it should work. Im going to take some measurements and check on out. I might take the advice given and rent one for a day to double check before taking it 5-6 hours to a WWII Reenactment 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I don't remember telling them what I was hauling Wink
48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 7:58pm

I used a 10 x 6' single axle to get the Rat Patrol home. Dicey, but I made it.
 ZERO room to spare.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

I used a 10 x 6' single axle to get the Rat Patrol home. Dicey, but I made it.
 ZERO room to spare.

Dasvis,
I can do you one better; I commonly haul my blue jeep with an 8' trailer! Yes, you read that correctly, an 8 foot trailer that I built a few years before buying the jeeps. Once I experienced using tow dollys and disconnecting driveshafts, I got out the tape measure and confirmed it would fit. I've towed the jeep with this trailer all over the state for years- it looks kind of funny but it works!
48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 8:15pm
You are a minimalist 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 9:19pm
I’ve wondered this myself. The heavier duty utility is rated at 3,600 lbs. 

The problem I’m having is the distance on the deck of the auto transport leaves little room for error. Not sure if it’s my age that it seems that way. 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

.....I don't remember telling them what I was hauling Wink

Well, thats kinda where I was headed with that. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Skid Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skid Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 7:06am
I loaded up a rolling chassis on the 6x12 Uhaul trailer but it was a pain because the hubs stuck out too wide to fit through the supports on the trailer. I had to take off a tire to get it through. So I don't see how a full jeep would fit. Of course there are a few different UHaul 6x12 variations.  It seems that all of the ones with ramps around here have the narrow opening.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callmedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 5:52pm
Well as you can see…Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callmedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 5:53pm
Fits like a glove

Edited by Callmedave - 15 Aug. 2022 at 5:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>