Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone tow their  jeep in a U-haul Utility trailer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tow their jeep in a U-haul Utility trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Callmedave Callmedave wrote:

Fits like a glove

Damn, dual axle even. That's livin.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 7:50pm
That's the same trailer that I rented- the version W/O the ramp. Funny thing was, there were already oil spots in the center of the trailer when I picked it up- so maybe they haul more cars than you think.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 7:51pm
what ever you do.. when renting a trailer photograph and document EVERY ding and scratch BEFORE you leave the lot..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I thought I heard one time they won't rent their utility line for auto transport, but that may or may not be the case.

IDK if that is true in your area, but here in Western Colorado they rent their utility line for auto transport.

You have to let them hook the trailer to your tow rig. Since I do not trust some random kid to do this job well, I watch them & then I double check them. I have caught mistakes being made by their kids two out of the two times I used this service. Always double check the connection & the safety chains!

IMHO, Their trailers are a little light, but they get the job done. I would hesitate to use them on rough roads, but on blacktop they are fine. X2 on the lack of hefty tie downs.

The tailgates on these trailers are a bit narrow, they will allow a CJ-2a on the trailer, but not my Willys wagon. It is about 1.5" too narrow. The front hubs hit on the tailgate braces, or as some call them, the ramp supports. In any case, a backhoe was needed to load & unload the wagon. Blocking might have worked, but we had the backhoes readily available.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

IMO they build them very heavy for the job they do. Heavy wall galvanized steel all over. They have to build them with the lowest common denominator user in mind which means they need to withstand abuse. 

The non ramp 6x12 for instance is nearly 1800 lbs empty.  The model with the ramp is nearly 2300 empty.  

Edited by Downs - 15 Aug. 2022 at 8:05pm
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 8:30am
Their trailers receive next to zero maintenance, the brakes rarely work correctly, and in all that crazy paperwork they make you sign it is right there in ink that they are not responsible for the serviceability or good repair of their trailers.  They are so confident in their trailers that they place the 55mph speed limit on them.  If you doubt me just read the fine print.

I would never, ever, ever, rent from U-Haul.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:08pm
I usually rent from them about once a year.  Ive never had their surge brakes give me issues, never had a problem from bearings or tires.  Yeah I'm pretty sure even my Penske and Budget rental trucks I used when I was in the military had similar fine print. I dont really trust their trucks compared to a company like Penske but their trailers have been a non issue for me.  

As for the 55 mph thing.  I'd imagine that has more to do with their confidence in the general public who rents their equipment and not necessiarly the equipment itself.   

I work right up the road from one of their maintenance facilities.  They have a pretty steady flow of trailers through there.  We have a Penske maintenance facility right up the street the other way as well.  
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:48pm
I have rented a few u-haul trailers over the years. The first one wouldn’t let me back up. The surge brake kept locking. It was my first encounter with surge brakes and I couldn’t find a pin or lever to block the brake from working. To this day I have yet to see a good way to block a surge brake. I have never seen one new or had the instructions to one. The trailers equipped with the flat 5-pin connector will block the brakes electronically using the vehicle’s reverse light to power the solenoid. I had to rig a trailer harness on my tractor so I could push boats around the yard. Not sure I will handle it when a solenoid fails and the brakes can’t be blocked. Probably drain the brake fluid and go without like the previous mechanics did before my time. 

Edited by Jeff J - 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12