Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Mystery
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 1:05am
Hi.  Haven't been on for a LONG time but I'm back to my CJ project in St. Elmo. (At least until the next interruption)..
I'm close.  Poured fuel in the tank today and turned the engine over.  No bueno.  Followed the fuel train back to the tank and it's all good.   Removed the fuel line at the tank, attached a piece of hose to the barb fitting there and blew thru the hose.  100% resistance!   Emptied then removed the tank and put a small stiff fish tape into the fuel tap.  At about 2" it was obvious I was going around a curve or something and at about 4" the fish tape stopped.  I withdrew it.  It was clean.  I reinserted it and worried it around in there for awhile but it would go no further.  Blew into it with air pressure.  No bueno.  I poured MEK into the orifice and it's been sitting there for several hours with no results (I thought if it was some sort of organic obstruction I could break it loose or dissolve it.)

What's up?  What does the fuel pick-up in the tank look like?  Is there a check valve or something in there? If so, why?  The 1/8th" tap for the barb fitting appears to be soldered in.  There are wrench bosses on it but it seems to me that trying to turn that fitting is a bad idea.

Help!

ccstelmo

ccstelmo
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:12am
Do not remove. It is sweated on permanently.
Yes a small tube goes up and curves back down.
No check valve. tube is opened at the end,
Let’s imagine it is plugged with dried gas which has turned to varnish. Soak it in wood grain alcohol to dissolve the varnish.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:40am
Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Not sure if you have an original or aftermarket (which could be different).

Soaking sounds like the best option.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

You can see it from the filler neck with a small flashlight. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 5:41pm
tie a string to the flashlight!
Rick Estes
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 9:20pm

Sounds like a man with experience!  ^^^
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
GPASGRN2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPASGRN2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 7:58am
He said Flashlight and string? Really? 
Must be an old navy (not the store) (USN proud parents of the USMC) maintenance procedure. I’m told it is actually preformed under the Willys but now I am way off topic. I apologized to all. 
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 11:02am
Was this tank sealed? You know.... like some of that pour into tank stuff? If so you may have plugged the fuel pick-up. The pickup orifice sits pretty close to the bottom of the tank.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2022 at 11:51pm
Just curious:

Why couldn't a man thread a fitting into the drain plug bung and draw fuel through that, and plug the funky snorkle-style curved pipe ?

I've also been away from this forum also for way too long, but life does have responsibilities.
ccstelmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 12:14am
Damar*******:

Yah!   Fuel tank was sealed with some blue stuff.  That was about 3 years ago and your question reminded me that I had done that.  So I got this taken care of.   I put a short piece of bicycle brake cable on my drill and augured it out.  Gummy Blue Stuff came out.  I'm good to go  -  I think.  When I finally did fill the tank with fuel (No ethynol) I noticed the Blue Stuff was softening up.  I guess we'll see how that turns out in the long run.  Vehicle is running now although there's still some tuning up to do. 

BTW - I recently sealed two Honda Trail 90 tanks with some Red Stuff.  The directions made it clear that the longer you let this stuff set up the better AND not to let it "puddle" .  So far so good with the red stuff.

Thanks
ccstelmo
ccstelmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 12:23am
Thatr's viable.

The way it's designed, though, is that the OEM fuel pick-up sits at the lip of a sump.  That sump collects caca that inadvertently enters the tank.  At the bottom of that sump is the drain plug you're referring to. So if you draw fuel from the bottom of the sump by using the drain tap, you are 100% guaranteed to draw caca into the fuel line and send it toward the carburetor.  A good filter will pick it up, but you've closed options.  My preference has always been stock, so I'd prefer to fix the problem rather than use gimmicks to bypass them.

ccstelmo
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 8:23am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 9:24am
Thats exactly what I have done I pickup fuel from the drain plug outlet. I then have a drain in the -AN fittings that is at the lowest point.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 9:26am
You can take a short section of 1/8" steel cable in a drill to run into the curved pickup and grind out the obstruction. a Flexable Auger of sorts
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply