Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Look familiar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look familiar?
    Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 11:21pm
A 60hp factory motor in a 1957 Chris Craft runabout.

1957 C

A lot like the Go Devil.

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 2:20pm
Most flat head four cylinder engines look similar. That is a Hercules model B engine. Pretty cool though.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2022 at 6:55am
Model B - was that Chrysler based?  As a kid we had a 6 cylinder 109 Gray Marine that was a Chrysler foundation.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2022 at 11:09am
I had always thought the 6 cylinder, which is a model K, was Chrysler based, and assumed the 4 cylinder probably was too, but not sure. A lot of boat engines were marketed as Hercules, but I don't think they actually made the engines, I think they just converted them for marine use. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2022 at 11:12am
It’s pretty common for a marine engine company to use base engines from different companies. I know Volvo Penta uses both Ford and Chevy engines they convert for marine use. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 12:54pm
Here is the Continental 162 that came standard on many Lincoln sa 200 motor drive welders. I am learning that although motors of this design lacked hp they made up for it in toughness. Like the go-devel, the 162 has a legendary reputation for dependability.

Here is a clip of it running first time in over six years. It is  1957 vintage.

And my re-built go-devil.

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
 Post Reply Post Reply