Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Checklist (electrical)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Checklist (electrical)
    Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 1:33pm
based upon many posts here, it may be helpful to some of us to have at least 1 comprehensive STARTING checklist. i know this could fire "tremultuous" debate but qualified, experienced input could be valuable. does it matter 6V vs. 12V? possibly, as different components are involved.

a system charging checklist is another separate (related) topic.

i will start by using what Stev recently wrote which was certainly helpful. i will edit this post as additional useful information is contributed. please contribute and/or suggest corrections.

1. Start with a fully charged (12.6 to 12.8V) and functional battery 
2. To minimize repetition on this list, ALL electrical connections (terminals/connectors/wire ends) should be confirmed to be clean and tight
3. Confirm the ground at the battery and the block
4. Confirm the positive cable (both ends)
5. Confirm no connections are able to ground or touch each other
6. Confirm all the electrical connections to the coil
7. Confirm the spark plugs are clean and the spark plug wires are in good condition and appropriate type for the system
8. Remove the rotor and clean it as well as the cap contact surfaces
9. Confirm connections to ammeter

Specific:
6V: ?
12V: ?

topics to add/input?:
solenoid
wire/cable gauge
wire type (especially spark plug wires as type differs for distributor type)
components and how to check
typical quirks
connections/connectors

Edited by bight - 20 Sep. 2022 at 10:52am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 3:01pm
Under the general section I would suggest making sure that the connections at the ammeter are clean and tight and that no connections are able to ground or touch each other.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 4:05pm
As far as general I'd suggest making sure both battery terminals are not only clean but tight
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 6:22pm
How about a test of the battery voltage and cranking amps?
Everything starts --- or ends --- with a good battery.

The purpose of this list is for the "electrically challenged"?
I say that because most of it so far ("clean and tight connections") seems to be "common sense" --- if you have even a basic knowledge of electricity (or mechanical stuff).

Maybe #1 on the list is buy and read a book about the basics of vintage automotive electrical systems? How components work and what they do?
That basic book would also give insight about correct wire gauge size and voltage-current capacity for various circuit loads (handy for re-wiring stuff).

Most folks in these forum asking questions about electricity seem to struggle with how to hook stuff up (where's the wiring diagram?).

A basic list like this could easily become pages long.
And nobody reads instructions.
They ask questions in forums and fakebook. 

Dang, did I say that out loud? LOL

Edited by Ron D - 16 Sep. 2022 at 6:28pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2022 at 7:39am
I wouldn’t bet on common sense entering into the picture. I was called out to a boat that wouldn’t start last month. It’s a rental and the manager had pulled the battery to charge it. I tested the battery first. It was good so I started digging. It wouldn’t start because the connections on the battery were both loose and dirty. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2022 at 7:23pm
Yup, that's kind of my point (in reverse).
Would a person who'd hook up a battery "loose and dirty" expecting it to work instead look for and then read and follow a checklist that says "clean and tight"?
I think many who would (when it doesn't work), instead ask questions what the problem might be in forums and fakebook.

Edited by Ron D - 17 Sep. 2022 at 7:26pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2022 at 8:43pm
thanks for useful input so far. i have altered the original post to reflect constructive input.

i really did not intend to delve into philosophies and such nor go off track regarding the concept of what some refer to as "common sense". i have discovered over an extended period of teaching adults that common sense does not exist. was anybody born with the ability to diagnose electrical system faults? i put money on NO. but i would prefer a separate discourse on another forum for the fallacy of common sense. next...

as to whether anyone reads any more, well, that too is a good question. but i will state this, if they are at this point (reading this post) then they do read. and i for one, can vouch that though i may be in a very small minority, i do read instructions. sometimes twice. and seek other resources (such as this site) for helpful information. well written and clear instructions (including illustrations) are rare in my experience. which tends to lead one back to a forum like this.

many of us here are not experts and are just seeking knowledge and help from those that are qualified and interested in helping us out. thanks much to all of you!

as for some other input, i personally would buy a good book on vintage automotive electrical systems and will seek one out. great suggestion! if any of you know of a good one and can provide info on how it can be obtained please share. off to the Amazon to search the book jungle!

Edited by bight - 20 Sep. 2022 at 9:52am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2022 at 9:25pm

Can do!

--- spoon-fed instructions for the internet challenged on where to look for old-school style “books” about basic automotive electricity:

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/basic-auto-electricity-book/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvrjxpei-gIVjoTICh3aRACPEAQYASABEgJScPD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvQC_Bz0s4

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/automotive-electrical-techbook-haynes-10420.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=automotive-electrical-techbook-haynes-10420&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvrjxpei-gIVjoTICh3aRACPEAQYAiABEgJnzvD_BwE

If those fail, sometimes on fleabay you can find a really nice copy of the most excellent old school (January 1956) U.S. Army Technical Manual titled Principles of Automotive Vehicles, TM9-8000.

It’s 565 pages of knowledge, but only about 80 (Chapter 10) pertain specifically to electricity.

Amazon isn't the whole world for books, at least not yet anyway.

And some might be better at home watching youtube instead of reading (less grease on the pages). 

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 19 Sep. 2022 at 9:35pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

I have discovered over an extended period of teaching adults that common sense does not exist. Were any of you born with the ability to diagnose electrical system faults? I put money on NO.

Since you mentioned it, I'm pretty sure you might be confusing "common sense" and "education" (autodidact, or otherwise).

How many have ever read this basic American book?

I put money on NOT ENOUGH.

In other words, how many times in your checklist do you have to repeat the words "clean and tight" before the message gets across to the reader that Step 1 in understanding basic electricity is that ALL electrical connections have to be clean and tight?

Edited by Ron D - 19 Sep. 2022 at 11:05pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 5:59pm
received a copy of TM9-8000. came at low cost and included the old book musty smell (no extra charge), and 25 pages into it you quickly realize that along with the service manual and Fred's historical book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps, it should be considered a rule for jeep neophytes to have all 3, read them in full and be tested prior to ownership of a CJ-2A Embarrassed

thanks very much for that suggestion. wish i had the TM9-8000 back in '79 when i was working on my Datsun B-210. 

got the Haynes book and several other basic wiring publications en-route. 

Edited by bight - 25 Sep. 2022 at 6:03pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 6:24pm
Glad you like the TM9-8000. It's one of my favorites for vintage car maintenance.
Just when I think I know something, I find out I don't so much as I thought.
Not sure many younger folks can see the light on a paper book they can't pull up on their so-called "smart phone" or read in a computer forum.

I do skip over a lot of the the tracked (battle tank, bulldozer) stuff but even that can be interesting on a rainy day. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 25 Sep. 2022 at 6:49pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply