Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil seal at the transfer case shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil seal at the transfer case shifter
    Posted: 21 Sep. 2022 at 4:57pm
Hello,

Next step of my journey of chasing oil leaks …

Both output shafts for the 2 shifter of the transfer case are leaking. Are these standard oil seal rings and if so, does anyone have the right size?
Also, how do I get the old seal rings out … case is still in the car.

Thanks
Klaus
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 12:04pm
They are standard oil seals, available from most Jeep part suppliers.

It would be very difficult to pull, or install, the seals with the shafts in place, and I don't know how in the world you would be able to do this with the unit still in the vehicle.   
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 12:12pm
Thanks,

So I will need to pull the transfer case to replace these seals … guess for now I will need to live with the leak, then.

Klaus
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 12:54pm
I haven’t tried Joes puller, but I seriously thought of buying one if I ever need to change those again.
You may want to contact him and see if they work with the shaft in. His pullers are here https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/transfer-case-seal-pullers_topic48599.html
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 1:04pm
The question would still be, can I remove and install the seals with transfer case in place even with Joe‘s pullers …
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 1:39pm
I haven't gotten to the first one yet, but his puller isn't big, if you can ge the front drive shaft and flange off, then the puller should fit easily
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 3:20pm
I think he is talking about the seals for the shift rails.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 3:31pm
Those were a bitch to get out with the transfer case on the bench.   Does Joe offer a puller for these ?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I think he is talking about the seals for the shift rails.

Ah, disregard me then
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2022 at 6:36pm
Yep. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The seal rings for the shift rails, that’s what I need to change

Klaus
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2022 at 12:06am
Yea I'm tearing down a spare TC and I see what you are talking about. I can't imagine even trying to get the seal out with it in, I don't personally believe it to be possible but maybe someone's done it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply