Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeplabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil
    Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 7:54am
Hi everyone,
I know this is not meant for this post but I cant get on the G503 for some reason this morning, Problem I have is I just put a new reproduction 24 volt coil in my M38 along with new points and condenser, It ran like new for about two days, I went to go for another ride a couple of days later and wouldn't start, I pulled the cap off and found that the top of the coil blew right off and also cracked the cap, cant friggin believe it. I've heard of these repro's being junk, but can anyone give me any ideas why this may have happened, Like I say it was running better than it ever did before, until I shut it off then this is what happened, also I'd be willing to pay good money for a NOS or good used original 24 volt coil.
Thanks again everyone.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 8:05am
Just did a search on Ebay for "M38 24 volt coil NOS" and found a couple of them.

They aren't cheap.

A seller with one listed and with good feedback is named bigmikem35a2
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 8:28am
Hi Jeeplabs,
Is your distributor connected to the vent system (and the line isn't plugged) --- as shown in the Army manuals?
The vent is necessary for the sealed M38 distributor to help shed heat, but also to remove explosive gas build-up.
I'm guessing but it sounds like you had an explosion?

And I'm pretty sure that just leaving the distributor vent hole open to atmosphere isn't enough to clear the explosive gas. It needs to be plumbed to the vent system to get vacuum action.

There's more than a few good posts on this topic over on the willysmjeeps site.

No doubt this forum and the G503 are great resources, but the willysmjeeps site is the best one dedicated to M-series military vehicle (M38, M38A1, M170, etc) knowledge and experience.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 25 Sep. 2022 at 8:48am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 10:03am
Just curious, was it a chrome plated Chi-Com Re-Pop, or one from Smiling Pete Debella ? 😬

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 10:16am
This might be a good one if George has them in stock:

Or this one, advertised as having a National Stock Number (NSN):
https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/igco24vo11.html

A phone call asking who made them may or may not be worthwhile.
Some vendors seem reluctant to advertise or even reveal this information.
Makes me wonder why.......Wink

Edited by Ron D - 25 Sep. 2022 at 10:23am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Jeeplabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeplabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 7:10am
Thanks to all, I'll look into the venting, It was a chrome plated looking coil, i know it was a repro.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Jeeplabs Jeeplabs wrote:

Thanks to all, I'll look into the venting, It was a chrome plated looking coil, i know it was a repro.

Yes they are no good!, thank you…. Pete Debella advertises a “High Quality” reproduction he apparently had made but I know of know one who has used one ?.. He also has a “High Quality” fuel sending unit for our beloved 2A’s that’s junk, but that’s another story 😬 good luck with your repair 👍

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 3:26pm
A lot of reproduction mechanical fuel pumps available from various suppliers which are listed as "High Quality" that work fine until the fuel starts dissolving the diaphragm and seals.

Finding NOS parts, especially something like a 24 volt coil, is getting harder and while they are often expensive sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay the price. I think that is one reason a lot of military Jeeps get converted to 12 volt.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply