Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Time - Poor Running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Time - Poor Running
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 1:25pm

After replacing the head gasket & adjusting the valves on my CJ2A the engine runs like crap.  Crap defined: Sounds like it's hardly firing on a couple of cylinders and not even worth trying to drive due to low power.  Actually it ran like crap just prior to me replacing the head gasket (it had failed between #1 and #2 cylinders).  It appears from plug reading the plugs at number 2 and 3 cylinders are running rich or not firing completely because the plugs are a bit wet.  However with the plugs out I'm getting a good solid spark.  I wish I had a vacuum gage port to hook up to but it engine has military manifolds and I don't want to drill them out for a vacuum port. The way the engine ran it sounded like a spark issue so initially that's what I went after as the points/condenser/coil were old and came with the beast when I bought it. 

So here is the list of what I've done to correct the issue:

• New Plugs
  • New Blue Streak Points/Condenser
  • New Coil (12Volt system)
  • Fresh fuel
  • New Fuel filter
  • Rebuilt the Solex Carb
  • Cleared fuel line and loosened fuel cap
  • Double checked the valve lash and set it loose @ .016"
  • Compression is great with 100+ psi at all cylinders.
  • Probably a few other things I've forgotten about.

Now a couple of questions:

1. Do the #2 and #3 cylinders typically run a bit rich on the L134?

2.  Next on my hit list is the fuel pump.  The fuel pump is only a year old but the bowl doesn't fills at all.  This would seem contradictory to the rich running condition but I'm running out of targets to throw darts at.  Outside of a bad/sticking valve I can't think of anything else that could cause this condition. But with the good compression readings I doubt I have a valve issue.  

So tomorrow I'm putting on a new fuel pump.  I really feel that this could be the issue but I also thought that about the valve adjustments and ignition parts I've replaced.  I guess once I found the failed head gasket I dismissed the fuel pump but now I've come full circle and the possibility of a bad pump.  

I the meantime anyone want to chime in and hand me a few extra darts to throw at this CJ2A or you might just want to wait until after I replace the fuel pump tomorrow.

Stay tuned and thanks.

Edited by wfopete - 29 Sep. 2022 at 1:27pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 1:34pm
Before I replaced a lot of other parts, I would double check my work. Correct firing order going counter clockwise because that's how the distributor rotates? Plug wires solidly connected? No cracks or carbon lines in the cap or on the rotor? Basic stuff like that, that I often mix up when I do something like a head gasket.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 1:40pm

^^^ Agree!

and I've done all that but those are good points (no pun intended).  I generally try to check the dumb stuff first.  I really tried not to be "That guy" but I think I have it coming this time!
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 2:11pm
Out of the blue my 47 CJ2A lost power. hard cold start. (no squirt from accelerator pump) Could hardly use the over drive. Replaced accelerator pump and that took care of hard cold start.(carter WO) Still no power.
Replaced distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, and wires. I normally don't replace more than one thing at a time but cap, rotor and wires were on for who knows how long. Runs great. Probably switch over to electronic ignition over the winter. I have replaced quite a few condensers. Hope you get it sorted.
DMusil
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 5:42pm
Are you sure plug wire #2 & #3 are not mixed up 😬 it happens ☝️

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Are you sure plug wire #2 & #3 are not mixed up 😬 it happens ☝️

Lee😉

Yes! I wish it was something like that.  I also know the rotor moves in a counter-clockwise direction:1-3-4-2  
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
 Post Reply Post Reply