Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THIS IS A RANT don't read unless you want to.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 1:46pm
I am far younger than many of the folks posting here and I see the same thing.  However, it is not everyone.  There are still good eggs out there; just fewer of them than in years past.

I disagree that the calculator was the item that pushed it over the edge, I think the internet was.  Now anyone can type anything in a computer and get back whatever truth or mistruth someone else posted on the internet.  The problem is getting kids to think for themselves rather than accepting what is spoon-fed to them by a computer or the media.  Tack on the instant-access afforded by cell phones and it only serves to make it worse.  For a smaller sub-set of the population it is actually helpful (for inquisitive, self-minded folks) because it can grow someone's knowledge instead of being just a crutch.

I miss the days when you read how to do things (not videos but typed out, maybe with diagrams) or maybe nothing was available and you had to figure things out for yourself.  That really separated the masses into the camps that "can" and the camps that "cannot."  Youtube videos today kill me; yes they help the masses "figure things out" or simply follow along but I think it unfortunately gives people confidence to "do" things then all they really know how to do is follow instructions.  Again, for some it might inspire further learning but for most it falsely creates confidence in a "lack" of actual ability.

My own folks lost power in a storm last week; when I went over there to get their generator running on Saturday my mother grouses that her power brick cannot recharge her phone for long.  I tell her to plug the phone into her car.  She was so embarrassed because the answer to her problem was simple and obvious but she recognized how "dependent" they are now on electricity.  I extend this analogy to the general public and the internet.

We're not really in trouble until Skynet falls, then there will be masses of people that are instantly "lost".

On the flip side, those like us that are "masters of our universe" will easily be able to handle life "without" should something really hit the fan.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
JKNW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 11:55pm
The problem is that life is too easy. We've nerfed life and it's consequences down to where it's hard not to make it through and nobody learns how to deal with failure. Can't make the grade? We'll just dumb down the standard and pass you anyway. When modern man fails he's more prone to give up and walk away than try harder next time as a result. Never trying at all makes much fewer of the bad ouchy feelings than failing a few times. Just say you can't try because of (Insert reason here) and move on. If you don't have a reason, simply ask the internet, they'll give you a reason. Blame your parents, blame your teacher, "the system" but certainly not perfect little ol' you! 

We're also a couple generations into the "You can be anything you want to be" style of parenting and once these kids hit adulthood, which happens later and later as time goes on, they have no idea how to deal with the crushing weight of the fact that just because you "can" be something, doesn't mean you will or that it will be easy. 

I'm way younger than most of you guys ranting but I see it too, and I hate it just as much.

Edited by JKNW - 19 Oct. 2022 at 11:56pm
'45 Willys MB, retired race Jeep - Tweety
'53 International R120
'69 CJ5
'70 Ford F-100
'76 Ford F-250 4x4

coastiereid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastiereid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 6:40am
I'm 42. 24 years active duty CG. I grew up in Oregon from age 10-18 and never pumped gas before I was 19. I was an E4 stationed in jacksonville area in FL before I learned. Figured it out on my own, you should have heard my E5 who was 22 years older than me, call me a piece of S//+ new guard genx dipsh*t.  I chose a mechanics rate ( and im female- so unicorn back then)to try something different for 4 years before getting out.  That E5 only made E6 before he forced retired.... I'm am O3E in charge of an entire engineering department on a 270 foot long medium endurance cutter.  Who is the piece of S//+  again?
(I have a high school education on paper- but I'm teaching college educated folks to be engineers and adults). 

When I was a Chief Petty Officer, I used to be a recruit company commander (Drill instructor) and my coastie friends complained about the new generation. I had to teach the kids to dress, shave, brush their teeth and wash their a$$.  The millennial Chief petty officers omplain about the Gen-Z new folks more than anything.  These kids are not really different than they/ we were, just more tech and less hands on initially till someone shows them the way. We still get the old souls in the service though. My millenials are more complainers and lazy in my observation.  Their own children seem to be failing in school, have serious medical issues, or baby momma drama. They all hitting 20 years and a day and bouncing on retirement cause they are angry about something. By the way, I could totally pick out the recruits who don't have a father figure in their life, or ones who's mother was too protective. Get them in an environment where their survival/success is on them, they mostly thrived. 

I do youtube videos.  Actually RonD will know, when I post about my M38 on the other forum, it gets a lot of views. I rebuilt a 63 f100 too for years. There is a flavor for everyone on YT. I don't watch a lick of news at all though.
 was mounting a NDT at the hobby shop the other day on base and the attendant was at first very reluctant to let me do it alone; but then i reminded him who I was. That's when he remembered (it'd been 3 years since I saw him) and he went on a rant about how kids today don't know anything.  Having their face in a phone on YT video showing what ever procedure they are attempting. At least they are trying.

Teach them I guess. It's what I do. Someone had to teach me once. I certainly am not a natural.

WHAT GRINDS MY GEARS? Why not  just let people fail once and a while instead of babying their entire life. Sometimes you gotta get in the bilges to learn how to climb to the bridge.

Remember;  Lower your standards, increase your odds of disappointment. 

APRIL
1963 F100
1952 m38 "Salty"
52 M100 (DK) "Seabag"
Former MKC, NAVENG2,now LT (engineer officer) USCG. Served aboard 6 cutters, Recruit Company Commander and Operation Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn vet.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 10:13am
It's not you.
Big government wants control. People who are free and responsible for themselves and who care for others don't want or need the government or anyone else telling them what to do or what they need.
So to solve that you start giving people stuff and removing there responsibility. You make it easy for them to take a hand out rather then work for something.  Then you start eroding family and religion which destabilizes people further.  You destabilize the public school system and start feeding your lies to the kids at an early stage.   It's just a little at first and no one really notices but after 30-40 years of this you get to where we are now.  Desperate, confused, poor and hurting people are the only ones who will willingly give up there last freedoms for the false promises of security and fake happiness of stuff.   It's the oldest game in the book.  Ask the People of Austria in the late 30's.  

Our founding fathers where all to aware of this, that's why our Constitution and bill of rights have stood up all this time and why we had the best country in the world.  Now they are crapped on every day by most on either side of the isle, and the insanity wont stop till the tyrants that are at the top are removed. 

There are a lot of confused and sad people walking around these days that need help and more government and more lies aren't the answer.  Either we wake up or woke up.  One leads to freedom one to slavery. 

Edited by windyhill - 20 Oct. 2022 at 10:21am
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 10:38am
Clap
Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 3:12pm
Coastie, 

I've seen your posts on  G503 and a few YT videos.

Until fiberglass became acceptable for building ships, the family business was building Coast Guard Cutters, Mine Sweepers, and Army Freight Boats. Thank you for your service.

I know RonD from WillysMJeeps and here on the CJ2A Page.

Thanks for a clear logical view of what you have experienced and observed.

Personally, I blame the Kardashians.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 3:16pm
My 2 cents worth, not adjusted for inflation.  First, the world population has increased three fold since 1950.  Yes, there are a lot more idiots today along with a lot more of everyone else.  I doubt idiocy as a percent of the population has changed much-the bell curve distribution remaining the same.

Second, the service industry is probably not the best place for drawing your sample base from.  That is going to be over represented by the idiot side of the bell curve.  Clearly a statistical sampling error.

Third, it is not the general education system that is a problem (but perhaps an administrative problem).  Teachers these days are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard spot.  Tax payers do not want schools to have unrestricted spending on what ever whim strikes them and in some cases are reluctant to fund education in any manner.  Locally I see school administration receiving salaries way in excess of what those people are actually worth and the actual teachers under paid.

Fourth, I don't see a huge difference in a lot of the younger population.  I have good millennial friends that are even into flatties in a big way.  Again, I think this is statistical sampling error.

And finally, government.  It doesn't work worth crap at either extreme of the political spectrum, period.  Scattered thoughts of a pre boomer--------

Edited by duffer - 21 Oct. 2022 at 11:30am
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12