Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Hub, what do I have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2022 at 8:08pm
Reading through the manual this afternoon it looked to me like there are a couple of combinations that require the threads to be there while others don’t need them. A new versus old requirement. Rzeppa and Spicer in newer knuckles use snap rings to hold the axle. Those who have gotten away with cutting the threads off and gotten away with it probably had newer axles that didn’t require the threads. Everything I read about axles with Bendix u-joints said the threads are needed to set float. 
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2022 at 7:30pm
I ended up purchasing new mile marker hubs. Everything goes back together fine but in the end there is no way to get the cotter pin in through the nut on the threaded end. The nut does tighten all the way to flush with the end of the axle. I have had no issues for over 8 years so I was going to put everything back together minus the old hubs and at least see if it ran the same. 

But with previous comments and the fact that I cant get the cotter pin back in, I guess I need to start looking for new axle shafts. So much for the $250 disc brake conversion. 

Which axle shafts should I get? And what else will I likely need once I start taking everything apart. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2022 at 11:07pm
Look for axles with the Spicer joints. 

You will also need to replace the spindle bushings with the later style. This is a simple task.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2022 at 11:20pm
Speaking of Spicer axles, who has the best deal right now?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2022 at 1:50pm
I'm sure there will be some discounts this week. 
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 9:03pm
What do I have part 2?  This is completely different than the passenger side and the hub slid right off along with the plastic part. I don't see a snap ring, is it behind the spindle nuts? Any idea which axle shaft this is? I would like to just replace the passenger side if possible. Also, what is the triangle on the end for?

Oilstretcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilstretcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 2:39pm
That is the exact same hubs on mine.  The axles were cut according to the instructions that came with those those hubs.  The "x" was the old cotter pin holes.  Mine were stuck too but I was able pull with the puller.   The nut was thread locked.  They went  back together well and seem to be OK.
Old Newbie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123