Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a 2150 carbon my modified CJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing a 2150 carbon my modified CJ
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2022 at 5:57pm
Well I wanted a better carb for offroading my 2A with a Chevy 283. So I installed a motorcraft 2150 modified with a gasket and vent baffles bought from Brennan's Garage. Several people here have used this carb on their V6 powered CJs. Here's several Pics from the install. My original carb on the 283 was a vintage Rochester 2bbl 2GC, so I hope my results will be the same that others have had from the swap. Not quite as fancy as Chug, but it's gonna be fun on the local hills

End.

Edited by jeeper50 - 09 Nov. 2022 at 5:51am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 5:26am
That should work well. IME, you will like it a lot.

What is meant by "I am glad to be wrenching on my vehicles again without Matt wrenching too."?

What did this other Matt do to upset you? If it is none of my business, say so, I do not get offended easily. Heck I am probably out of line here. Just curious.

Matt W.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 6:01am
He passed back in 2020, so we lost our jeepin buddy, at least we had him for 33yrs. I guess I should have worded that differently. Anyway I sold that jeep and bought this one to stay in the game so to speak.
 No harm in asking

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 11:01am
I had it trying to start yesterday, but forgot to back out the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns so that may be the ticket for running today

stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 11:33am
very interested in this thread. I have the 2 barrel Holley equivalent on my SBC. Runs great on flat but hates angles. Where did you get the carb if you don't mind me asking.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 12:11pm
Bought it from a friend on the early cj5 forum. He put a 4bbl on his V6, I have seen a lot of 2100/ 2150s for sale on facebook,and have heard good things about them. less than 95 bucks  Brennans garage has the kit for modifying them and sells the adapter too. 

look for " thumper gets another mod" this section of the forum,  I saw that and got me thinking about the swap from my rochester 2bbl 2gc.  

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/siWUyHwYib8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by jeeper50 - 09 Nov. 2022 at 12:18pm

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 7:46am
Nice work on this. I believe you will like this setup once everything is tuned in like it needs to be. Overall, I've been happy with my setup. I have found a happy medium in jet sizes and with the power valve where with a little adjustment it works fairly well at 1500 ft above sea level where I live all the way up to close to 14,000 ft in Colorado without changing jets.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2022 at 4:38pm
Got it running the other day, but it would not idle so looked up the tag info and carb came off an 82 granada 3.8 L engine and has a 6.5 power valve so I ordered some 44 and 47 jets and a 7.5 power valve. I am just using them to get it to idle and run so good I can get a good vacuum reading to be able to reorder the proper power valve. 
Also figured Iwould polish a turd (intake) with a can of chevy orange spray paint and a can or two of carb cleaner to clean before painting. 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2022 at 2:35pm
I thought I would check the intake and float level in the carb again to make sure I did not have a vacuum leak and the wet float level was set at .995 (same as the quarter recommended).

Adjusted the float level a bit more and removed the thin base gasket I bought and put a thicker base gasket to make sure it was sealing up good. I decided to polish the turd a bit by repainting the intake and bought a set of vintage valve covers.  Turns out the valve covers wouldn't fit but looked good, so after all that I fired the engine up and it idled fine warmed it up. Still need to do several power brake runs to check max vacuum to check my power valve to make sure it is correct.  I have size 47 jets and a 7.5 power valve.  Then it's time for a test to see how it climbs

Edited by jeeper50 - 21 Nov. 2022 at 3:03pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 9:08pm
Sad to say the original chevy air cleaner upper half no longer fits with out touching the dizzy cap, so drove over to Summit Racing and looking through their stock  and found a 10" Edelbrock air cleaner that fits and clears the lip of the firewall and is short enough to close and clear the hood. Bought a couple of holley jets just a bit bigger as a gee whiz.

Post Reply Post Reply