Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Gauge Sending Unit gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeG1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Gauge Sending Unit gasket
    Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 9:34pm
Does anyone make a gasket that isn’t cork? Or is there one not made of cork for another vehicle that fits the CJ2a?
Mike G 1948 S/N 197198
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 9:59pm
Don't know, but what is the problem with a cork gasket?
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
MikeG1949 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeG1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 9:04am
When hauling the Willys on a car carrier trailer and a full tank of gas, I had lots of gas splash out around the seal.   I'm getting to explore why my gas gauge pluses just off of E and will be looking first at the sending unit and thought I there might be a better gasket.  I have never had a problem just driving it, only in hauling it.  It's a 16-foot car hauler that I use.
Mike G 1948 S/N 197198
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 9:27am
The M38 also had gaskets/O-rings on each screw.  Before installing them along with thread sealer there would be wetting on top of the tank when it was full.
MikeG1949 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeG1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 10:01am
Sounds good.  I looked and found a rubber seal with lock washers and screws but none with o-rings.  Do you have a source or was that something you pulled together?
Mike G 1948 S/N 197198
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 10:16am
Some people will cry sacrilege and call me a heretic, but I have had good luck with the fuel resistant RTV.
If you do, just a thin coating. Too much is a problem.
Your mileage may vary. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 3:31pm
Just replaced fuel tank sending unit and in the process of wiring new fuel gauge. 
I connected the top screw on S.Unit to 's' terminal on fuel gauge;
Connected a ground for the fuel tank by connecting wire to one of the five sending unit screws to hump (tunnel) between front two seats;
Plan to connect '+' terminal from F.G. to acc. position on ignition switch.

Will I need to connect wire to '-' terminal on F.G. to ground? Thanks

"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 1:20am
Usually the fuel gauge is connected to the ignition side of the ignition switch not the accessory side. There is no need for the fuel gauge without the engine running. It would just be a small drain on the battery.

Then for the sensor side, a wire runs from from the other terminal on the fuel gauge to the sending unit. The fuel gauge itself is grounded through it's mounting bracket. The sending unit is grounded through the fuel tank & it's mounting straps. Like you, I often run a second ground wire to the frame or body from one of the five bolts holding the sending unit into the tank. The fuel tank's sending unit does not get a separate power supply.

Is this rig 12 or 6 volts? IIRC, The six volt Willys just uses system voltage for the fuel gauge. While a 12 volt system will need a separate voltage regulator between the ignition switch & the fuel gauge itself. Almost all 12 volt fuel gauges need this regulator to drop the voltage down to about 5 volts. Twelve volts is considered too high to use safely around fuel, or so I have heard.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 8:52am
The 5-hole pattern is universal. See link below. I'll note that the standard 5-hole pattern is also not symmetrical. I ordered a sending unit from these guys, which came with a rubber gasket that lined up perfectly.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=101/category_id=167/mode=prod/prd101.htm
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 6:10pm
I'll switch the connection to the ignition side of the ign. switch...Thank you for mentioning that...don't need any unnecessary batt. drains. 

My tank has plumbers pipe straps for securing the tank...so not really grounded well.

It's a 12 volt set up on my 53 M38A1 jeep that I'm working on which was orginally 24 volt. It has the fuel tank w/ the added compartment...about 3 1/2 additional gallons. It all sits down in a compartment for the tanks shape.

So I will need a separate voltage regulator between the ign. switch and the fuel gauge...glad you mentioned that too.

Thank you Cpt. Logger

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 6:20pm

Thank you for the link vtsteve...I bought this one from Kaiser Willy's and fortunately everything lined up w/ the holes on the sending unit sleeve.

The gasket they sent was cork....I should probably use the Permatex on the screws while the tank is still easy to work on.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Reply Post Reply