Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishinMagician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission
    Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 10:47am
Who rebuilds T-90 transmissions?
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 11:32am
You do!  It’s very easy, Novak sells all the parts as well as other suppliers. 
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 11:52am
They're a DIY job if you can find good NOS parts or correct reproductions (ie, not Omix...) I'm an IT manager by trade, but I was able to figure it out by watching Rick Stivers and Metalshaper's videos on YouTube.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 4:15pm
inch by inch everything is a cinch.
except working on new cars.
Jerry ,  San Diego
gearwrencher
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 4:47pm
Yeah, there are almost no commercial shops that  can  or will work on these old jeeps.  So, YES, you CAN do it yourself.  I did.  (however it took me THREE tries to get it right)  The Novak kit is good.  The instructions are useless unless you are an experienced mechanic. There ARE good tutorials online for it, BUT NONE of them are perfect and NONE will go through EVERYTHING you need.  Watch all of them and then ask questions here on the board.

Getting the transmission out and back into the vehicle with the body on is a PITA.  Hard, sweaty miserable work. (trust me - I did it three times).  But... hey the sense of accomplishment when you are done is amazing.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 4:54pm
I think Sal at vintagejeeper.com does some rebuilding work.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 9:28pm
There is always Herm the Overdrive Guy. Very good work at a reasonable price. While you are at it you might consider going with the T-90C version and get a lower first gear.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 1:16am
Richard Darr at Washougal Classic jeeps does about 3-4 transmissions a week.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 7:18am
If I were to hire it done I would have Sal at vintagejeeper.com do the work. He is a really good guy and does top notch work. He is located in PA.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 11:34am
I do if you can get it to Ohio.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
CubeTube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubeTube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 11:58am
Happy Trails 4x4, in Jacksonville FL, does them also.
48' 2A
Fort Myers, Florida
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 12:12pm
Guys, you are recommending shops all over the country!  That makes no sense.  OP would have to remove the trans himself (which is a lot of the work) THEN pay to ship a 75 pound trans across the country to be rebuilt.  Then, pay to ship it BACK to him. THEN he has to re-install the trans himself anyway. (again, the hardest part IMHO).

Unless there just happens to be a shop w/i driving distance of him, he really needs to do it himself.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 2:22pm
Gotta go with the original question. No other info offered
Mike in AZ
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 9:23pm

Jimmy restores Jeeps and is located in Diamond Springs, CA. Top notch! The guys mentioned above are also good BUT the shipping would be expensive. 
 Jimmy will be doing some work for me soon.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 02 Dec. 2022 at 9:24pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

Jimmy restores Jeeps and is located in Diamond Springs, CA. Top notch! The guys mentioned above are also good BUT the shipping would be expensive. 
 Jimmy will be doing some work for me soon.

Great.  OP is in ID, and you are recommending a shop in CA!.  See all the issues I posted about last time.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 11:27pm
Actually, the OP is in Indiana. Unless you know something that is not on the first post? 

No matter where the OP is, the aforementioned issues remain. Shipping IMO is the big one, the R&R can be farmed out locally. Yet, they are both still big money problems.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 4:11pm
https://vintagejeeper.com/products-%26-services/ols/products/t90-complete-rebuild

They have an Indiana phone #.  Noted above  they may be in PA. 

Fun to do yourself though.

Edited by Tom in RI - 03 Dec. 2022 at 4:14pm
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Guys, you are recommending shops all over the country!  That makes no sense.  OP would have to remove the trans himself (which is a lot of the work) THEN pay to ship a 75 pound trans across the country to be rebuilt.  Then, pay to ship it BACK to him. THEN he has to re-install the trans himself anyway. (again, the hardest part IMHO).

Unless there just happens to be a shop w/i driving distance of him, he really needs to do it himself.

I understand your point, but there is something to be said for letting someone with greater skills, experience and equipment do it if you have the cabbage to pay for it.

I can rebuild a carb and do it correctly, however, my best carb was done by Scoutpilot. He replaced blemished parts that I would have reused and then tuned it before shipping it back. I have no regrets.
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>