Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OX Locker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OX Locker
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2022 at 11:04am
Perfect! Thank you.
'50 3a with f-head motor
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2022 at 9:45am
  I don’t remember exactly where, but there were a couple of places inside the Dana 44 housing that were contacted by the E-Locker case, which is a bit bigger than the Dana open diff case. Nothing structural. You’ll find it soon enough. I did the grinding with a 4-1/2” angle grinder. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2022 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I don’t know about the Ox, but I installed an E-Locker in a ‘55 Dana 44 housing. It required extensive grinding inside the housing, but went in well. I like the Ox idea. 
BW 

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Bruce would you mind elaborating or what you mean by extensive grinding? This week I am starting the process of installing an E-locker in my '50 Dana 44. 
'50 3a with f-head motor
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2022 at 6:11pm
You will need the spacer ( and double gaskets ) to mount the OX cover on the early D44 housing. I did an 1/8" thick cover when I did mine like a decade ago. I think OX makes a spacer now for the Roxor installs ( along with the 19 spline version of the D44 locker ). 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Not exactly on topic but an Eaton E locker fit just fine in a D44 30 spline flanged housing,

Yes, but that’s obviously not the same D44 housing as one found in a ‘55 CJ5. The E- locker fits fine in MODERN Dana 44 housings. I mentioned it because I thought it might be something for the OP to watch out for. 
BW 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 11:04am
Not exactly on topic but an Eaton E locker fit just fine in a D44 30 spline flanged housing,
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 1:33am
  I don’t know about the Ox, but I installed an E-Locker in a ‘55 Dana 44 housing. It required extensive grinding inside the housing, but went in well. I like the Ox idea. 
BW 

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 10:09pm
I’m running a 1951 offset D44 and it required the 1/4” spacer for the cover.  I’ve heard the later model D44 does not need the spacer.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Skid Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skid Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 5:32pm
Is there anything special needed to run an ox locker in the tapered shaft rear Dana 44 housing other than switching to 19 or 30 spline shafts?

I'm hoping to run the manual cable setup.

Someone at OX mentioned I may need a spacer between the housing and cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply