Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Spicer Axle Shaft Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 12:11pm
How do you get it off?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 12:22pm
Pick the right size wrench and unscrew it. Probably 1/4" or 5/6". A 1/4 in socket in those sizes might work better. If the hex is stripped off, as a last resort you could grind it off and use an e-z out (there is a real oxymoron) to remove what is left in the end cap hole.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2022 at 5:23pm
Issue solved

Edited by Alpine - 05 Dec. 2022 at 8:40am
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 1:42pm
To leave this thread with some closure for others, tell us what you did to solve the problem.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 3:38pm
Due to wanting to get the jeep running for Christmas, I went ahead and replaced the u joint. I drilled out the grease fitting and the shaft still would not go in. Ultimately the caps on the original u joint (see pics on pg 1) were also preventing the the shaft from going in.   It's all in and put back together. I just need some lug nuts to fit the new wheel studs. An actual Spicer u joint works. 

And actually while typing this up, I  just remembered one of the caps on the new u joint did not fit very tight.  In my tiredness from trying to remove the original u joint I forgot to address it.  Will likely pull everything out and take care of it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12