Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt head finishes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt head finishes?
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 11:01am
How did they finish the bolt heads on new jeeps back then, on lets say parts that were one color, but bolted to a part that was obviously already painted. Like let's say the bolts that held the seat frames down.  or the bolts that held the windshield frame hinge brackets on?

I'm assuming that the windshield hinge brackets bolts were painted body color after they were installed, or possibly they had a bucket of say Luzon Red windshield bolts and a bucket of green ones next to it?

And what about the seat frame bolts?  Were they just standard silver plated bolts back then?

I've looked at "The parts Paint color list" and it shows some bolts plated silver, but it's not a complete list. Is there a more complete list somewhere and how did they do it?

Edited by Scratch - 07 Dec. 2022 at 11:02am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 7:03pm
I think if you look at some of the vintage photos you will see some answers. From what I see, they used a lot of cadmium. When I restore mine, I'm going to send all the bolts out to get refinished in cadmium.
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 7:20pm
Years ago I built a `55 Chevy from the frame up. The vendors that specialized in selling parts for shoebox chevs, had bolt kits you could buy. The complete set had had every single bolt of the correct type, head, and finish for everything on the car. Even the odd clutch drive screws.

I wish one of our jeep parts vendors would do that. Seems like there would be a demand for it, especially if the bolts were of good quality strength wise. Like made in Taiwan rather than China.
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 8:03pm
If you have any of Fred Coldwell's books on early production jeeps, there are many high definition photos of the earlies. Might shed some light and show the fasteners you're asking about. And of course, now I can't find mine.

If you don't have these books, I highly recommend them!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 8:51pm

If you don't have these books, I highly recommend them!
[/QUOTE]

X2!  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 3:50am
Help me out fellows, was there not a bolt kit available from a member on here for the early CJ-2a? Maybe it was it for the WWII jeeps, perhaps on the G-503 forums?

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 7:54am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Help me out fellows, was there not a bolt kit available from a member on here for the early CJ-2a? Maybe it was it for the WWII jeeps, perhaps on the G-503 forums?

Yea there are plenty of bolt kits available from RFJP and KW. Go to the hardware section of both sites and you’ll find them.  
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 10:18am
From a manufacturing standpoint, I highly doubt that any pre-painted bolts were installed at the Willys factory - the paint on the bolt heads would chip when installed, and it would be a huge headache to stock bins of bolts in each color along the line.

Bolts would have been installed in the finish delivered from the supplier (cadmium, zinc, black oxide, etc).  Any painted bolts would have been painted after assembly.  A couple examples of this:

- since the chassis with powertrain was painted after assembly but before body installation, most chassis fasteners would be painted black

- tailgate hinge bolts seem to have been originally body color so they would have been installed along with the hinges and painted with the rest of the body
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

Yea there are plenty of bolt kits available from RFJP and KW. Go to the hardware section of both sites and you’ll find them.  

Small kits for one item are about all I see; like for bolting on the master cylinder or skid plate perhaps. Other bolts sold one at a time for about a buck a pop, even a cotter pin, one dollar. That's fine for small projects done on a weekend, but I personally would like to see someone sell a kit with every single bolt, nut and screw for the entire vehicle.
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 8:17pm
This topic brings up something similar I am curious about. 

How do you tell if the bolt is original?

On my Jaguar, they used BEES bolts and the judges know what to look for.

I would like to accumulate a stock of original bolts to have refinished.

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 10:21pm

There was a member who was putting together and selling body mount bolt kits, but only the mounting bolts, none of the fender-to-body bolts, seat frame-to-floor bolts, etc. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Micah 
The most common bolt head markings on the CJ2A and 3A are "EC" and "TR".  I believe there may be other less common markings, but I can't recall them at this time.  I think there were bare headed bolts too.  These would probably be difficult to tell it they are original.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2022 at 5:33am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Micah 
The most common bolt head markings on the CJ2A and 3A are "EC" and "TR".  I believe there may be other less common markings, but I can't recall them at this time.  I think there were bare headed bolts too.  These would probably be difficult to tell it they are original.

I'm finding a couple of markings on mine (fairly early 46) in other areas like the T-case, axles, diff covers etc. I see bolts marked: 

A
AA
EA (these tend to be smaller bolts) 

I believe them to be original, as depending on the application, they all match. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply