Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023 - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2023 - 23 Sep. 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023
    Posted: 01 Jan. 2023 at 10:25am

Welcome to the 2023 Fall Color Tours (FCT) announcement!  My wife, Nancy, and I would like to invite you to join us this year following the sun over the mountains on 2-track trails just made for old Willys Jeeps.  We will again invite 50 Jeeps and their owners to journey through the mountains of Colorado on guided tours along hidden trails far back into the wild country.  We will hold the event from September 17th through the 23rd.  Mark your calendars and get ready for a Willys good time!

Our dedicated team of guides, Bruce, Ron, Jpet, and Mike, will take you to mountain views that you’ve never seen before.  We’ll traverse steep and rugged trails into dense forests and through running streams.  We’ll start each day at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch (TDR) at 8,000 feet elevation, and take you as high as 13,000 feet above sea level.  From that high up you’ll be able to wave at jets passing by, and they’ll wave back.  We promise you’ll have fun on these adventures, and we promise that no Jeep will be left behind. 

As in years past, we’ll ask you to fill out a registration form and mail or email it to me at the address on the bottom of the form.  The form is available online at this address:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/uploads/1479/cffc_fct_2023_Registration.pdf

Please print it, fill in the information requested, then send it to me.  I will collect the forms from January thru April.  Then on May 1st I will run a lottery using a random number generator to assign numbers to each registration form.  Those numbers will be put in order from lowest to highest, and that will determine the order for sorting the first 50 Primary slots from the remaining Alternate slots.  For those who make the Alternate list, I will offer 5 jobs you can do in exchange for attending this FCT.  We tried this idea in 2022 and it worked great, so we’ll do it again in 2023. 

The TDR will be headquarters for all the rides again this year.  And will be the primary campground for anyone who wants to camp, in a tent or a motor-coach, we have the room.  We have acres of flat ground to park trailers, set up camps, and walk around to visit old friends and make new ones. 

I’m going to put together a free guide book, or hand book, to help answer your questions about the FCT.  I’ll post a link to it online for anyone who’s interested in a copy after I get it put together.  This year we’re planning on hosting 3 tours every day, Monday thru Thursday, with the grand tour on Aspen Ridge on Friday.  Each tour will take most of the day, starting about 9:00am.  Driver’s meeting will start at 8:30am in front of the shop.  We’ll announce the list of tours by late June and we’ll have the list posted at the shop. 

Send in your registration and keep your fingers crossed that you’ll be joining us this fall for a truly wonderful adventure.  We look forward to seeing you in September!  

Edited by m38mike - 02 Jan. 2023 at 9:58am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2023 at 10:57am
Who knows, but if you join us for this year's Fall Color Tours, maybe you too can become a celebrity like my sister Kate and her Jeep, Matilda!  We'll have to arrange a catalog signing event at FCT this year.  Riding with Kate is our cousin Gisele Hall.  We're keeping it in the family.  Credit goes to Brad Reighard for an excellent action photo.  They selected his out of about 225 photos. Clap

We're extending our family to include you, if you join us for the Fall Color Tours this year!  

Edited by m38mike - 01 Jan. 2023 at 12:53pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2023 at 8:38pm
Mike,
Just arrived in Antarctica, will send forms when we get home.

Terry
BOULDER 48 2A
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2023 at 9:09pm
Will be sending in my form in the next day or so. 
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
Oldgreencj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldgreencj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2023 at 11:12pm
Sending in my form tonight or tomorrow morning! 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2023 at 4:59am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Mike,
Just arrived in Antarctica, will send forms when we get home.

Terry

Don't get sunburn while you're enjoying the beaches down there!  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2023 at 6:19am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Who knows, but if you join us for this year's Fall Color Tours, maybe you too can become a celebrity like my sister Kate and her Jeep, Matilda!  We'll have to arrange a catalog signing event at FCT this year.  Riding with Kate is our cousin Gisele Hall.  We're keeping it in the family.  Credit goes to Brad Reighard for an excellent action photo.  They selected his out of about 225 photos. Clap

What I want to know, is how did you get a copy of the catalog before I did?  This is the first I've seen it.  I got an email stating I had won the contest, but not a copy of the dang catalog!  I suppose I need to request one. :)
I took this photo on 4 mile during the 2021 tour.  I was riding with Arick in Lumpy and we were having a blast riding around with Kate who was all smiles.  I remember coming up to a creek crossing and giving Kate a few hand signals to slow down and pointed at my phone.  I'm looking at the GPS coordinates and it looks like we were crossing seven mile creek.  JPET was the tour guide that day.

SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2023 at 8:41am
Form emailed in!
Looking forward to FCT 2023

Traci & Tater

Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2023 at 12:16pm
Sent mine this morning via email. Let me know when you receive it. 
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2023 at 2:00pm
Mike, I sent mine this morning by snail mail. It should get to you by may!  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2023 at 5:50am
Good morning, time for the Sunday report on registrations received this past week.  In no particular order I have forms from: Petrowich, Chellemi, Johnson, Luber, Clark, Reighard, Boog, Seifert, Ammon, Campbell, Carlson, Manley, Rodgers, Brawley, Denny, Davis, Brozek, Booth, Kjome, Patrick, Hoffman, Leland, Rice, and Frey.  24 forms so far.  If no one else signs up then everyone here will be going.  That's not likely though.  Every Sunday I'll report who I got forms from so you will know that your form got to me. If you don't see your name on the list, please resend your form.  Or give the snail mail time for it to arrive.  The horse that delivers mail in our town does not move quickly.  And please be sure to sign the bottom of the form.  If you type your "signature" I'll ask for a signed form. 

I've been working on the guidebook for FCT off and on this past week.  I've been reviewing old FCT discussions to look for subjects folks have asked or commented about.  I've copied parts of those conversations.  I'm up to 16 pages of clipped info.  It's not organized, and it's not filtered.  But it's material I thought was worth sharing with anyone who wants to join us at FCT. Once I'm done collecting ideas, I'll organize them and filter them so they make sense and flow well.  My plan is to have this done and available to anyone online before the end of April.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 2:56am
Good Sunday morning.  Time for another registration report.  This week's forms came from: McNeill, Farenbaugh, Hansen, Snow, Bokelman, Jones, Hackney, Rodgers, Bishop, Wilkinson, Johnson, and Mercier.  That brings us to an even 36 registrations.  It's up to each of you to watch this thread on May 1st to see who got selected for the top 50, and who is on the Alternate list.  I'll post the lists of all the names on May 1st, with the number that they got in the lottery, and what position in line they are in.  Later in May I will list 5 jobs that I would like to have someone do during FCT.  I will offer those jobs to anyone on the Alternate list.  I will run a lottery for each job with the names of everyone who wanted to do it.  The top name in each lottery will be offered the chance to join us for FCT if they will do that job. That will mean I will have 55 Jeeps and crews here for FCT.  But 5 of the jobs I used to do will be done by someone else.  That takes a lot of pressure off of me, and gives me time to take care of other business.   
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 1:00pm
After several years of planning and prepping my wife and I feel that we are now ready to participate, Based on past years (I know every year it is more popular than the one before), what do you think our chances of participating are?
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Beach Bum Beach Bum wrote:

After several years of planning and prepping my wife and I feel that we are now ready to participate, Based on past years (I know every year it is more popular than the one before), what do you think our chances of participating are?

Send in your application to Mike and then it's luck of the draw based on the number of applications received.
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Beach Bum Beach Bum wrote:

Beach Bum, right now its 100% assured that you'll get to come if you're registered.  I've got less than 50 forms at the moment.  But as the number grows, your chances shrink.  Last year the top 50 had a 46% chance of getting a slot (50/108).  Then I offered jobs to Alternates in exchange for a chance come.  For each job there were 10 interested Alternates.  That gave each Alternate who applied for a job a 10% chance of coming.  So your odds of getting in the top 50 are better than your odds of getting offered a job to come.  

But don't give up hope.  I got a thought last year when I failed to get my elk hunting license.  The area I hunt is very popular apparently.  So instead of a license, I got priority points.  I got to thinking that getting a hunting license here in Colorado is a lot like my lottery for FCT.  Sometimes you don't get the license, but you do get points instead.  The more points you get, the more likely you are to get your desired license.  So it started me thinking about how I could operate a "priority point" system, or maybe a "handicap" system to give those with years of failed registrations an increased likelihood of getting selected in the lottery.  I haven't figured it out yet.  If someone knows how to do this - FAIRLY - send me a PM because I'd like to hear your ideas.  But please don't plug up this thread with ideas.  Send me a PM so we can discuss it offline.  Thanks. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 5:17am
Good Sunday morning.  Here is the registration update for the Colorado Fall Color Tours.  I received forms from: Tomt, Reeb, Murch, Huffaker, Curtis, Komlenic, Patik, and Frantz.  8 more forms brings the count up to 44.  Be sure to check in on May 1st to see the list of everyone who sent forms in for FCT.  I will send out an email to everyone who provides their email on the registration form, and give them the list.  This way everyone will know where they came out in the lottery.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 8:59am
Good Sunday morning. Here is the weekly Fall Color Tour registration report. Last week I received forms from: Juette, Heater, Marshall, Collins, Flint, Johansen and Roslaniak.  With these 7 names our count is now at 51.  We aren't quite there yet with my desire for 50 Jeeps. Statistically 2 out of every 10 Jeeps will drop out before the event starts.  So I need 60 registrations to have some confidence that I'll have 50 Jeeps for the tours.  Life happens.  The world will keep turning, and the tours will go on.  

I've been splitting my time between tearing down an engine to go to a machine shop, and working on my FCT guidebook.  I've got about 10 pages of advice, inspiration, and questions answered so far.  I think there will be another 5 to 10 more before I'm done. This has turned into a bigger project than I thought it would be.  But I like that it'll be a comprehensive guide for anyone coming to FCT to help them prepare, and what to expect while they're here.  The knowledge included will make each person's experience, especially new folks, just that much better than it would have been without the guide.  Do I still expect to get questions?  Of course.  It's human nature.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 3:29am
Good Sunday morning, time for the weekly FCT registration report. This week's forms came from: Reichert, Tarvin, Sanders, Bullied, Croge, Robbins, Dusharm, Snider, and McBryde.  With these 9 forms our count is now at 60 registrations. It's time to start entering names on the lottery spreadsheet.  This way I won't have quite so many to enter in late April. 

I've made good progress on the FCT Guidebook.  I've put together 18 pages of wisdom and advice about FCT for anyone to read.  I'm asking my staff to read through it to look for glaring errors and omissions. They've found a few, and I've fixed them.  I anticipate having it available online by the end of February, and I'll publish a link that everyone can use to get it.  

And speaking of links, here is the registration link again for folks who just started following this thread;
So if you're just joining this discussion and are interested in coming to Fall Color Tours, please fill out this registration form and send it to me.  Then watch this forum on May 1st to see who gets to come and who is on standby.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>